Posted to rec.woodworking
ron ron is offline

Default uneven jointer

Haven't been out to my shop for a while. While shaking off the rust
(woodworking is definitely a perishable skill), I noticed something odd
about my jointer.
After making a couple passes on the edge of an oak board, the leading
edge has more wood removed than the trailing edge.
I checked the outfeed table and it is the same height as the knives.
I am sure, as usual, I am overlooking the obvious, but I would
appreciate any suggestions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"ron" wrote in message
Haven't been out to my shop for a while. While shaking off the rust
(woodworking is definitely a perishable skill), I noticed something odd
about my jointer.
After making a couple passes on the edge of an oak board, the leading
edge has more wood removed than the trailing edge.
I checked the outfeed table and it is the same height as the knives.
I am sure, as usual, I am overlooking the obvious, but I would
appreciate any suggestions.

If it is flat, it is working properly. It is a jointer, not a thickness
planer.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Toller wrote:
"ron" wrote in message
Haven't been out to my shop for a while. While shaking off the rust
(woodworking is definitely a perishable skill), I noticed something odd
about my jointer.
After making a couple passes on the edge of an oak board, the leading
edge has more wood removed than the trailing edge.
I checked the outfeed table and it is the same height as the knives.
I am sure, as usual, I am overlooking the obvious, but I would
appreciate any suggestions.

If it is flat, it is working properly. It is a jointer, not a thickness
planer.

A well-tuned jointer will remove an even amount along the whole length
starting with a straight piece.

Several things could be going on here, not enough to tell precisely what
the problem is or if there is a problem necessarily...

If the piece wasn't straight to start with, then yes, it's possible the
variation was what was needed to make it straight.

If the piece was straight (OP was simply cleaning up a rip on the
tablesaw or similar), then the knives may not be quite as level w/ the
table as thinks or there may be some droop in the outfeed table. On of
the most common problems giving rise to the symptoms is nonuniform feed
pressure when passing the work over the cutterhead. Dull knives can
contribute making it harder to get a clean cut.

Need some more detail of what/how/how much/conditions to really tell
what might be going on...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 08:32:56 -0500, dpb wrote:

A well-tuned jointer will remove an even amount along the whole length
starting with a straight piece.

Oh dear. Here we go again....

-Leuf

Uneven wear on jointer blades Toller Woodworking 20 December 11th 06 05:44 PM
Uneven Floor [email protected] Home Repair 7 November 27th 06 04:18 AM
uneven boards. Mekon Woodworking 27 May 10th 06 08:10 PM
8" jointer or a combo jointer/planer machine? [email protected] Woodworking 1 March 13th 05 05:31 AM
Newer Ridgid jointer or older Craftsman jointer RobW Woodworking 5 November 5th 04 04:47 PM