Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Notching posts

Building a deck and I have the need to notch some 6x6 cedar posts that I can
slide a 2x6 in from the side. I don't think can use a Dado blade on my
radial arm saw, so are there any other ideas that would make this easier?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "HotRdd" wrote:
Building a deck and I have the need to notch some 6x6 cedar posts that I can
slide a 2x6 in from the side. I don't think can use a Dado blade on my
radial arm saw, so are there any other ideas that would make this easier?

Well, first off, most radial arm saws *will* accomodate dado sets, so you
might want to check into that a little further. Why do you doubt that you can
use one on yours?

Anyway, even if you can't put a dado set on your RAS, you can achieve the same
effect by repeated crosscuts. You can use the saw to remove all of the
material, but it takes a while. I'd make one crosscut at each end of the dado,
and one about every 1/2" to 3/4" in between, then chisel out the stuff in
between.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HotRdd" wrote in message
Building a deck and I have the need to notch some 6x6 cedar posts that I
can slide a 2x6 in from the side. I don't think can use a Dado blade on
my radial arm saw, so are there any other ideas that would make this
easier?

I probably built at least 300 modules out of pine one by stock on the radial
arm saw.

Almost all of them had dadoes. All of them were cut on a radial arm saw.
Each module had at least ten dadoes. some of them over fifty dadoes. Figure
about 4,000 dadoes says you can cut dadoes on a radial arm saw.

I have also cut dadoes in a wide variety of other stock, including 6 X 6
stock.

I prefer a good stack dado set over the wobble type. Just remember to
nibble at your cuts. Big dado cuts can end in disaster. Easy does it. Take
it slow and easy. Be patient and pull the saw slowly through the stock.

The radial arm saw is made for exactly this kind of work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

HotRdd wrote:
Building a deck and I have the need to notch some 6x6 cedar posts that I can
slide a 2x6 in from the side. I don't think can use a Dado blade on my
radial arm saw, so are there any other ideas that would make this easier?

Multiple cuts, about 1/4" apart, with a hand held circular saw set to
the proper depth. Knock out the remaining waste with a hammer and clean
up with a chisel. It ain't fine furniture.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Timber framers do this all the time with a circular saw & a wide chisel.
They call it card decking.Set your saw to the exact depth of the dado then
two careful cuts at each side of the dado, then repeated cuts about 1/4-1/2
apart, then hit them a glancing blow with a hammer. Most of them will break
& you can push them out with your hand. Then clean it up with a chisel &
hammer using it bevel down.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HotRdd" wrote in message
Building a deck and I have the need to notch some 6x6 cedar posts that I
can slide a 2x6 in from the side. I don't think can use a Dado blade on
my radial arm saw, so are there any other ideas that would make this
easier?

Putting the dado set on the RAS would be easiest, but you could always use a
router or multiple passes with virtually any sort of saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sorry I haven't tried putting the dado in the saw yet I just assumed that it
wouldn't work. I have the 12" dewalt sliding compound mitre saw so I guess
I'll pull the blade out and see if the Dado will fit. Unfortunately I only
have the "Wobble" type of dado.

"HotRdd" wrote in message
Building a deck and I have the need to notch some 6x6 cedar posts that I
can slide a 2x6 in from the side. I don't think can use a Dado blade on
my radial arm saw, so are there any other ideas that would make this
easier?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HotRdd" wrote in message

Building a deck and I have the need to notch some 6x6 cedar posts that I
can slide a 2x6 in from the side. I don't think can use a Dado blade on
my radial arm saw, so are there any other ideas that would make this
easier?

skill saw is best as other posters stated, set blade depth then cut ur
marks then repeated cuts between marks...as many as u want, then snap
off pieces with ur hand. pull back blade guard...BE CAREFUL!!! and use
the saw to "sweep" between marks using the blade to clean out
remnants. Done it lots and it works faster than a chisel with about
the same result...it ain't a piano!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HotRdd" wrote in
:

"HotRdd" wrote in message
Building a deck and I have the need to notch some 6x6 cedar posts
that I can slide a 2x6 in from the side. I don't think can use a
Dado blade on my radial arm saw, so are there any other ideas that
would make this easier?

OK, here's a note to which you should pay very close attention:

A Compound Miter Saw IS NOT a Radial Arm Saw, despite their similarities.

A compound miter saw is NOT designed for dado work.

A radial arm saw is.

Back to your regular programming.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "HotRdd" wrote:
Sorry I haven't tried putting the dado in the saw yet I just assumed that it
wouldn't work. I have the 12" dewalt sliding compound mitre saw

Then you do NOT have a radial arm saw.

so I guess
I'll pull the blade out and see if the Dado will fit. Unfortunately I only
have the "Wobble" type of dado.

And a dado set very likely will indeed NOT fit, and you should NOT try, even
with a wobble dado.

Best bet then is the multiple-crosscut procedure followed by hammer & chisel,
as described several times by myself and others.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wow. BIG difference between a sliding compound miter saw and a radial
arm saw. Don't try a dado on your SCMS - of course I assume there is
no way it would fit anyhow.

Dave Hall

"HotRdd" wrote in message
Building a deck and I have the need to notch some 6x6 cedar posts that I
can slide a 2x6 in from the side. I don't think can use a Dado blade on
my radial arm saw, so are there any other ideas that would make this
easier?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HotRdd" crazy talked this

Sorry I haven't tried putting the dado in the saw yet I just assumed that
it
wouldn't work. I have the 12" dewalt sliding compound mitre saw

YOU DO NOT HAVE A RADIAL ARM SAW!!!

Putting dadoes on a little, baby sliding compound miter saw is suicidal!!

One is a big saw on a stand that takes up a whole wall of the shop. The
other is a little, portable saw that you can throw in the back of the truck
and drive it to the job.

Get your terms right. There will be a considerable reduction in guts and
gore if you don't confuse these two very different machines.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Settle down, I have both saws. One stationary int he shop and the Dewalt
portable one. Though I question whether the Dewalt one is worse thatn the
craftsman 10" one in the shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
HotRdd wrote:
Building a deck and I have the need to notch some 6x6 cedar posts that I can
slide a 2x6 in from the side. I don't think can use a Dado blade on my
radial arm saw, so are there any other ideas that would make this easier?

For framing jobs like this the field expedient is to make a series of
kerfs with your hand held circular saw, blade set to the proper depth (1.5"
for 2X lumber), leaving thin (maybe 1/8") ridges of wood that can be knocked
out with a hammer. If necessary clean up with a chisel or rabbet plane.

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you want something really............exciting!, in the '60's Craftsman
sold a dado set designed to be used on a 7 1/4" circular saw. I have the
catalogue from my dad around somewhere but I can't find it right now.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..