Charlie Edwards

Default cnc router

Hi All,

Do many of you folks use cnc routers or other tools? I'm trying to find a
good value in a well built 4' x 8' 3 axis system. Any recommendations
would be really appreciated.

If this is OT I really apologise.

Charlie

Baby Grand

Hi Charlie,

Do you have a budget figure in mind? These animals are not cheap, and

depending on what you have to spend, you may want to look at used stuff

coming out of a furniture factory closing up and auctioning off its stuff.

The Chinese have been doing that lately to lots of American furniture

operations! I worked for 27 years as the Director of Product Design for

Baldwin Paino & Organ, and we had three or four of these things, in various

states. The last one we bought was about $300,000 new, but when Baldwin

folded about three years ago, that machine sold at auction for only $140,000

(about 18 months old). It was a Northwood. We also had two Eckstrom

Carlsons, an Onsrud, (older and less expensive), and a Shoda (Japanese -

great machine but big bucks). There are smaller, lesser duty machines for

50K to 100K, but anything in the 4' x 8'range with a couple of heads and

intended for production work will probably exceed $100,000 new. Hope this

helps. If you need any further info on the subject, email me at

Joe Seawright

www.dv4tv.com

"Charlie Edwards" wrote in message
Hi All,

Do many of you folks use cnc routers or other tools? I'm trying to find a
good value in a well built 4' x 8' 3 axis system. Any recommendations
would be really appreciated.

If this is OT I really apologise.

Charlie

Minorite

From: Charlie Edwards

Do many of you folks use cnc routers or other tools? I'm trying to find a
good value in a well built 4' x 8' 3 axis system. Any recommendations
would be really appreciated.

http://www.shopbottools.com/products.htm
John Thompson

There are a LOT of homemade CNC routers out there. You just need to
google on it, and pick ideas. Your greatest challange is making a system
rigid enough to handle a 4'x8' area without excessive vibration and sag.
There there are the leadscrews ($$$) for this size. There are
alternatives to leadscrews, but I didn't look into those.

John

Question about using a router PoP UK diy 6 January 5th 04 01:20 PM
Router for router table Todd Fatheree Woodworking 12 September 11th 03 09:30 PM
Bosch 1617 Router combo Leon Woodworking 7 September 7th 03 07:32 PM
Making Trim? Bob S. Woodworking 0 September 5th 03 10:05 PM
Porter Cable 690 router mounted to TS extension, do I use plunge base or standard Montyhp Woodworking 3 July 24th 03 02:58 PM