Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I can't find it! a random lament

An experience I have all too frequently is buying something I already
own. And using it before I discover that I had it already. And I spend
far too many hours searching for things I know I have, only to have
them turn up months later...

The other day I was looking for something (I forget what) and I came
upon a heavy duty two-prong plug. A few ago I went to several hardware
stores looking for a heavy-duty two-prong (no ground) plug to replace
a broken plug on a vacuum cleaner. I ended up buying a three-prong
plug and sticking an adapter on it. On Saturday I was looking through
my shop for something else (I forget what) and I found a never-used
heavy-duty two-prong plug.

A few weeks ago I used a self-centering drill bit (a Vix bit) that I'd
had for years in a clear plastic case. When I was done, I couldn't
find the case--even though I had had it just an hour before. A few
days later I found the case and now I can't find the bit. I've turned
my shop over looking for it. Still no bit. I had to buy a new one.

A few months before that I'd been using a porter-cable orbital sander
hooked up to a vacuum cleaner for dust collection. When I went to put
the built-in dust collector back on the sander, I couldn't find it. A
few weeks later I found the dust collector, and now I can't find the
sander. This is the first time I've mislaid something that big.

It's not a tool, but I bought a lawn sprinker to replace one that
broke. Two days later I found the even better lawn sprinkler I'd
bought last year on sale, to be prepared for when one broke....

It goes on and on...

I guess I should clean up my shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 07:57:45 -0700, "
wrote:

A sad tale of the continuing quest for that thing I just had a few minutes ago...

I'm sorry you have to go through that, and I'm glad I'm not the only
one. Misery does love company.

Seems like every hour I spend in the shop consists of 55 minutes
looking for 'whatever' and 5 minutes doing the job. Everything has a
place and nothing's in it.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 21, 7:57 am, " wrote:
....spend far too many hours searching for things I know I have..... I guess I should clean up my shop.

you have the perfect opportunity here to build yourself a bunch in
rolling cabinets with drawers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 21 Aug, 10:57, " wrote:
[...]

I'll clean my shop as soon as I find it. I'd swear I just used it the
other day.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 21, 10:57 am, " wrote:
[...]

Recently, I was at the Borg, looking for a replacement bulb. I
couldn't seem to remember the word Halogen. The associate said I had a
case of CRS. ( Can't Remember Sh_t). Gray hair will do that to you.
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:52:10 -0000, GROVER
wrote:

I guess I should clean up my shop.

Recently, I was at the Borg, looking for a replacement bulb. I
couldn't seem to remember the word Halogen. The associate said I had a
case of CRS. ( Can't Remember Sh_t). Gray hair will do that to you.
Joe G

dont worry! soon it will advance to craft ! cant remember a F#$KIN
THING! :-]

SKEEZ
Posted to rec.woodworking

Oh it's grand when the things
that you can't do without
have at last got
so hopelessly strayed
that regardless of where
you start rooting about,
you will hit upon one you'd mislaid.

=== Piet Hein, "Within Reach" _Grooks 4_

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I guess I should clean up my shop.

Recently, I was at the Borg, looking for a replacement bulb. I
couldn't seem to remember the word Halogen. The associate said I had a
case of CRS. ( Can't Remember Sh_t). Gray hair will do that to you.
Joe G

dont worry! soon it will advance to craft ! cant remember a F#$KIN
THING! :-]

SKEEZ

Just the other day I went to open a safe that I have opened at least
once a week for the last 11 years. I could remember the first and the
last of the 4 numbers to the combination, but it took about 30 minutes
of walking away and doing something else before the middle 2 numbers
came back to me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Aug 21, 7:57 am, "
wrote:
....spend far too many hours searching for things I know I
have..... I guess I should clean up my shop.

you have the perfect opportunity here to build yourself a bunch
in rolling cabinets with drawers.

Now where did that cabinet go?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Won't help now, but I've developed a habit - when I can't find
something, and eventually I _do_ find it, I put it in the first place
I looked for it.

Over time everything ends up where your subconcious thinks it is, so
the next time you find it quicker.

FWIW
Mike

wrote:

[...]

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in message
Just the other day I went to open a safe that I have opened at least once
a week for the last 11 years. I could remember the first and the last of
the 4 numbers to the combination, but it took about 30 minutes of walking
away and doing something else before the middle 2 numbers came back to me.

I shouldn't laugh; I worry about that very thing every time I step touch
the combination dial. But I DO have it written down and kept in a SAFE
place. Uh, that probably won't help.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"darkon" wrote in message

On Aug 21, 7:57 am, "
wrote:
....spend far too many hours searching for things I know I
have..... I guess I should clean up my shop.

you have the perfect opportunity here to build yourself a bunch
in rolling cabinets with drawers.

Now where did that cabinet go?

I had some floor space for a cabinet lying around here somewhere.......

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
Won't help now, but I've developed a habit - when I can't find
something, and eventually I _do_ find it, I put it in the first place
I looked for it.

Over time everything ends up where your subconcious thinks it is, so
the next time you find it quicker.

FWIW
Mike

I usually put it back in the last place that I found it because chances are,
if I found it there once, I'm going to find it there again.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
Won't help now, but I've developed a habit - when I can't find
something, and eventually I _do_ find it, I put it in the first place
I looked for it.

Over time everything ends up where your subconcious thinks it is, so
the next time you find it quicker.

FWIW
Mike

Holy cow, you can remember what the first place you looked was???????

I am truly impressed.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe wrote:

Holy cow, you can remember what the first place you looked was???????

I am truly impressed.

jc

I work off the "What was I doing the last time I used it" principle.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

" wrote

I guess I should clean up my shop.

It won't help. It's the inanimate objects. They aren't really inanimate.
I discovered that with extension cords.
No matter how carefully I position them they will become entangled and it
doesn't matter where you put things; they have a way of moving to another
location.
You just have to learn to live with it.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in message
oups.com...
An experience I have all too frequently is buying something I already
own. And using it before I discover that I had it already. And I spend
far too many hours searching for things I know I have, only to have
them turn up months later...

snip
A few weeks ago I used a self-centering drill bit (a Vix bit) that I'd
had for years in a clear plastic case. When I was done, I couldn't
find the case--even though I had had it just an hour before. A few
days later I found the case and now I can't find the bit. I've turned
my shop over looking for it. Still no bit. I had to buy a new one.

That explains a lot. I found your case behind my router last week.
Couldn't figure
out what in the heck it was for.

Just checked... it's gone again...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2007-08-21 11:15:27 -0700, "Dave in Houston" said:

"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in message
Just the other day I went to open a safe that I have opened at least
once a week for the last 11 years. I could remember the first and the
last of the 4 numbers to the combination, but it took about 30 minutes
of walking away and doing something else before the middle 2 numbers
came back to me.

I shouldn't laugh; I worry about that very thing every time I step
touch the combination dial. But I DO have it written down and kept in
a SAFE place. Uh, that probably won't help.

I hope it's not in the safe.
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
Joe wrote:

Holy cow, you can remember what the first place you looked was???????

I am truly impressed.

jc

I work off the "What was I doing the last time I used it" principle.

I usually quit looking after I find it at the last place I look.
I mean, why keep looking after you have found it?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in
:

Just the other day I went to open a safe that I have opened at least
once a week for the last 11 years. I could remember the first and the
last of the 4 numbers to the combination, but it took about 30 minutes
of walking away and doing something else before the middle 2 numbers
came back to me.

You probably ought to write those numbers down somewhere where you won't
forget them. I'll tell you what... You post your home address and safe
combination to the wRECk, and you'll always be able to find them and
make sure it's yours (that's where your home address comes in.) ;-)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
oups.com:

*snip*

It's not a tool, but I bought a lawn sprinker to replace one that
broke. Two days later I found the even better lawn sprinkler I'd
bought last year on sale, to be prepared for when one broke....

It goes on and on...

I guess I should clean up my shop.

We have a saying around he
"You always find it after you buy (or make) a new one."

If you're building, you usually find what you're looking for when the
project's 90% complete. Happened the other day with a bench hook...

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Sounds like an infection by the C-Nile virus ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I guess I should clean up my shop.
Recently, I was at the Borg, looking for a replacement bulb. I
couldn't seem to remember the word Halogen. The associate said I had a
case of CRS. ( Can't Remember Sh_t). Gray hair will do that to you.
Joe G

dont worry! soon it will advance to craft ! cant remember a F#$KIN
THING! :-]

SKEEZ

Just the other day I went to open a safe that I have opened at least once a week for the last 11
years. I could remember the first and the last of the 4 numbers to the combination, but it took
about 30 minutes of walking away and doing something else before the middle 2 numbers came back to
me.

A post-it stuck on the door should help.
Oh!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 22, 12:40?am, (J T) wrote:
Tue, Aug 21, 2007, 7:57am (EDT-3) )
doth lament thusly:
snip And I spend far too many hours searching for things I know I
have, only to have them turn up months later... snip

No prob. I've got it all figured out. When I was younger I could
concentrate on half dozen for more projects at a time, switching from
one to another, with no problem. But, now that I'm older, my
concentration has greatly increased. I think of it along the lines of a
dozen or more railroad tracks, side by side. There I am, zipping along
in an engine, concentrating on something, and disregarding all else.
Then something comes along and distracts me, someone asking something
like, "Are you busy?", springs to mind. Then, because the concentration
is so intense, the sudden reaction is like jumping to another track
entiredly. Your train of thought is lost. Then no matter how hard you
try, you may not get a branch line taking you back to your original
track for days, weeks, months, and on occassion, never. So you can stop
blaming it on old age, and now you can blame it on your intense
concentration. Simple. No prob. What was I talking about?

JOAT

You know you really have a problem when the focus of the intense
concentration was tying your shoe lace!

FobbyTown
Most of my projects' best features started out as mistakes!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in
:

Just the other day I went to open a safe that I have opened at least
once a week for the last 11 years. I could remember the first and the
last of the 4 numbers to the combination, but it took about 30 minutes
of walking away and doing something else before the middle 2 numbers
came back to me.

You probably ought to write those numbers down somewhere where you won't
forget them. I'll tell you what... You post your home address and safe
combination to the wRECk, and you'll always be able to find them and
make sure it's yours (that's where your home address comes in.) ;-)

Puckdropper

LOL!

A. The safe is at the office.
B. There is nothing in it except our weekly computer back-up cd's and a
few bucks petty cash.
C. There are 2 other guys I could have asked for the combination had my
pride allowed it. :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:31:30 GMT, Nova wrote:

Joe wrote:

I work off the "What was I doing the last time I used it" principle.

Unless...

I recall looking for something and finding my can of turpentine. I
remember thinking, "I wonder if turp would be an acceptable
substitute" for whatever it was that I was looking. I remember
thinking, 'Nah, I better find the right stuff". And eventually did.

Now, I'm looking for the turp, can't find it, can't recall what I was
doing in the above scenario to know where to look for it (besides my
whole house that I've gone over twice).

I'm sure it will pop up - after I've bought another can.

Renata
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Renata" wrote in message

Now, I'm looking for the turp, can't find it, can't recall what I was
doing in the above scenario to know where to look for it (besides my
whole house that I've gone over twice).

I'm sure it will pop up - after I've bought another can.

I never have trouble finding anything ... when I finally get around to
looking in the place I last left it, that is.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

FoggyTown wrote in news:1187783869.671152.106480
@x40g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

On Aug 22, 12:40?am, (J T) wrote:
Tue, Aug 21, 2007, 7:57am (EDT-3) )
doth lament thusly:
snip And I spend far too many hours searching for things I know I
have, only to have them turn up months later... snip

snip So you can stop
blaming it on old age, and now you can blame it on your intense
concentration. Simple. No prob. What was I talking about?

JOAT

You know you really have a problem when the focus of the intense
concentration was tying your shoe lace!

FobbyTown
Most of my projects' best features started out as mistakes!

We have a well known sportscaster/social commentator here, who claims that
his measure of 'having arrived in life' is not having to tie his
shoelaces...

Patriarch,
barefoot and in shorts...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe wrote:

I work off the "What was I doing the last time I used it" principle.

Unless...

I recall looking for something and finding my can of turpentine. I
remember thinking, "I wonder if turp would be an acceptable
substitute" for whatever it was that I was looking. I remember
thinking, 'Nah, I better find the right stuff". And eventually did.

Now, I'm looking for the turp, can't find it, can't recall what I was
doing in the above scenario to know where to look for it (besides my
whole house that I've gone over twice).

I'm sure it will pop up - after I've bought another can.

Renata

I have a variant of this. Whenever I tidy up (get someone old to explain what this means ;-)) and
throw stuff out (again...), I always, always, need something I have thrown out, usually within a week.
Often its wood scraps, sometimes its a 10-year-old tin of paint with an inch in the bottom, or some
useful metal bracket thats been sitting around gathering dust for 15 years. Within a week of throwing
it, I will realise it was perfect for the project I am doing.

C-Nile virus again maybe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
Wed, Aug 22, 2007, 10:19am (EDT-1)
(Patriarch) doth sayeth:
We have a well known sportscaster/social commentator here, who claims
that his measure of 'having arrived in life' is not having to tie his
shoelaces...

Too senile to tie 'em on his own?

He has people to tie them. His people have people.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe wrote:

I work off the "What was I doing the last time I used it" principle.

Unless...

I recall looking for something and finding my can of turpentine. I
remember thinking, "I wonder if turp would be an acceptable
substitute" for whatever it was that I was looking. I remember
thinking, 'Nah, I better find the right stuff". And eventually did.

Now, I'm looking for the turp, can't find it, can't recall what I was
doing in the above scenario to know where to look for it (besides my
whole house that I've gone over twice).

I'm sure it will pop up - after I've bought another can.

Renata

I know where your can of turp is! And why is it sitting on the tank
of our toilet in the half bath? It's been there for about 2 years. Maybe
I'll just ask the wife.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 21, 2:15 pm, "Dave in Houston" wrote:
"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in ...

Just the other day I went to open a safe that I have opened at least once
a week for the last 11 years. I could remember the first and the last of
the 4 numbers to the combination, but it took about 30 minutes of walking
away and doing something else before the middle 2 numbers came back to me.

I shouldn't laugh; I worry about that very thing every time I step touch
the combination dial. But I DO have it written down and kept in a SAFE
place. Uh, that probably won't help.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

I have long list of items that I've put in safe places, places where I
absolutely CANNOT forget where they are. They surely are safe, as
they'll never get found and used again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Gordon" d@p wrote in
:

I have a variant of this. Whenever I tidy up (get someone old to
explain what this means ;-)) and throw stuff out (again...), I always,
always, need something I have thrown out, usually within a week. Often
its wood scraps, sometimes its a 10-year-old tin of paint with an inch
in the bottom, or some useful metal bracket thats been sitting around
gathering dust for 15 years. Within a week of throwing it, I will
realise it was perfect for the project I am doing.

C-Nile virus again maybe.

*disgusted tone* Oh no! SOMEBODY CLEANED!

It's not that I don't like clean surfaces and all, it's just I like
finding things more. Clutter = busy = happy. :-)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe wrote:

I work off the "What was I doing the last time I used it" principle.

Unless...

I recall looking for something and finding my can of turpentine. I
remember thinking, "I wonder if turp would be an acceptable
substitute" for whatever it was that I was looking. I remember
thinking, 'Nah, I better find the right stuff". And eventually did.

Now, I'm looking for the turp, can't find it, can't recall what I was
doing in the above scenario to know where to look for it (besides my
whole house that I've gone over twice).

I'm sure it will pop up - after I've bought another can.

Renata

I know where your can of turp is! And why is it sitting on the tank
of our toilet in the half bath? It's been there for about 2 years. Maybe
I'll just ask the wife.

If you 'd be so kind as to share the location as soon as she tells
you, I'd surely appreciate it.

;-)

Renata

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe wrote:

[...]

Location of what? The turp? It's on the toilet tank in the
half bath. But why? Why is the turp sitting on the toilet tank? *that*
is *your* turp, isn't it?

A turner's lament. Musing about finishing. Arch Woodturning 9 May 14th 07 05:38 PM
insignia tv, a lament and a problem! freestonew Electronics Repair 2 December 15th 05 03:03 PM
Random RCD tripping a UK diy 8 December 21st 04 12:36 PM
random Patrick Cobb Electronics 0 June 24th 04 08:38 PM
another 'house not selling' lament RPC Home Ownership 13 July 29th 03 11:51 PM