Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What type of finish?

Hi there! I am currently making a ring (finger ring), and I was
wondering what would be a good type of finish to use? It will be worn,
so it needs to be durable and it has the chance of getting wet (taken
off for showers, etc.). I am looking for something that is glossy as
well. Since I am using purpleheart as one of my woods, UV protection
would be a plus, but I have not been able to find something suitable
for what I need. Anybody able to help me out here? It would be
greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much!
Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 17, 11:46 pm, Robert Allison wrote:
wrote:
Hi there! I am currently making a ring (finger ring), and I was
wondering what would be a good type of finish to use? It will be worn,
so it needs to be durable and it has the chance of getting wet (taken
off for showers, etc.). I am looking for something that is glossy as
well. Since I am using purpleheart as one of my woods, UV protection
would be a plus, but I have not been able to find something suitable
for what I need. Anybody able to help me out here? It would be
greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much!
Marc

Whatever finish you end up with, it should probably be one
that completely seals the wood from contact with your skin (or
whomever is going to be wearing it). Purpleheart is a toxic
wood and can cause problems just being in contact with your
skin.

I don't have an answer to your finish problem because I have
never made anything to be worn out of wood. It is an
interesting question.

Look he

http://www.gvwg.ca/docs/Articles/WoodToxicity.htm

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Ah yes, thank you. Another good reason that I need to be sure that
I'm choosing the appropriate finish for the wood.
Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Hi there! I am currently making a ring (finger ring), and I was
wondering what would be a good type of finish to use? It will be
worn, so it needs to be durable and it has the chance of getting
wet (taken off for showers, etc.). I am looking for something that
is glossy as well. Since I am using purpleheart as one of my
woods, UV protection would be a plus, but I have not been able to
find something suitable for what I need. Anybody able to help me
out here? It would be greatly appreciated!

I made several wooden rings about 13 years ago for my wife to use
between her wedding and engagement ring so that they didn't damage
each other. I finished them with high gloss polyurethane (spray can)
which lasted acceptably.

I think you'll find that a ring made of one piece of wood won't last
very long...too fragile. The ones I made were made from home made
plywood. The rings were about 5/16 high and there were 7-9 wood plies
in that thickness. When gluing them up, each ply was rotated 45
degrees from its neighbor.

The one she liked best was made of poplar died with green Rit dye.
Looked like jade.

I also made her one once out of a hambone. Looked fine, didn't hold
up, too fragile.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 18, 7:50 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thanks very much for the tips! Exactly what I needed to know =)

Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 18, 7:50 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I have a question about applying the finish. I have not used a spray
varnish very much, so I was wondering (especially for an object so
small), what would be a good technique to ensure that all sides get an
equal amount of varnish?

Thanks again,
Marc