Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hang Cabinet with Cardboard backing ??

What would be the best way to hang a cabinet like this (see link).
The backing is cardboard so I only have 1/2" wood on the outer edges.
Would like to hang it without any visible brackets.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...&cmArea=SEARCH

I have seen some cabinets use two 30" by 2" by 1/4" pieces of wood
with a groove in each of them. Mount one on the cabinet and one on the
wall, and then let it just lock in place. Is there a name for these,
I could not find anything like that at the hardware store, and don't
have the woodshop equipment to create such a groove.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Albert wrote:

What would be the best way to hang a cabinet like this (see link).
The backing is cardboard so I only have 1/2" wood on the outer edges.
Would like to hang it without any visible brackets.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...&cmArea=SEARCH

I have seen some cabinets use two 30" by 2" by 1/4" pieces of wood
with a groove in each of them. Mount one on the cabinet and one on the
wall, and then let it just lock in place. Is there a name for these,
I could not find anything like that at the hardware store, and don't
have the woodshop equipment to create such a groove.

Sounds like you are talking about a french cleat. Never heard of a
store-bought version.

Does the manufacturer of this cabinet not already provide a means for
wall mounting? If not, I wonder if having the weight of the full
cabinet not resting on the base would cause a problem.

If there is no facility for hanging, I'd get four small angle irons,
and screw them to the under sides of the top and bottom piece, at the
rear. Then screw through these into appropriate anchors in the wall.

Posted to rec.woodworking

A couple of "IF's"

IF the dividers can be temporarily removed, AND IF you don't mind some
small slits through the backing cardboard.

Get some L shpaed brackets from home depot, Maybe 2 inch legs by 1/2
inch wide or so. Get ones that have two holes in each leg.

Attach them to the wall with sheet rock anchors or into studs or
however you are comfortable. Have the leg on the wall facing down and
the leg that sticks out at the height you want the top of the cabinet.

Makes slits just below the under side of the top on the back (does
that make sense?). Slide the cabinet onto the outstanding legs.

Remove the dividers and screw one 1/2 inch long screw up through each
leg into the bottom side of the top.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...sProductDispla...

I have seen some cabinets use two 30" by 2" by 1/4" pieces of wood
with a groove in each of them. Mount one on the cabinet and one on the
wall, and then let it just lock in place. Is there a name for these,
I could not find anything like that at the hardware store, and don't
have the woodshop equipment to create such a groove.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 09:04:43 -0700, Albert
wrote:

What would be the best way to hang a cabinet like this (see link).
The backing is cardboard so I only have 1/2" wood on the outer edges.
Would like to hang it without any visible brackets.

Could you put a cleat inside each of the top compartments?
You could screw through the top into the cleat and maybe through the
side into the cleat. Then screw through the cleats and the back into
the wall.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm not too sure that the joints between the sides and the top are strong
enough hold the cabinet together, if you hang it by the top.

I'd think about making a added back from 1/4" stock, either masonite or
plywood, and gluing or screwing it to the sides. Then you can anchor though
the cardboard and the wood to the wall, assuming you can work around the
cute little dividers.

Just my $.02

Old Guy

"Albert" wrote in message
oups.com...
What would be the best way to hang a cabinet like this (see link).
The backing is cardboard so I only have 1/2" wood on the outer edges.
Would like to hang it without any visible brackets.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...&cmArea=SEARCH

I have seen some cabinets use two 30" by 2" by 1/4" pieces of wood
with a groove in each of them. Mount one on the cabinet and one on the
wall, and then let it just lock in place. Is there a name for these,
I could not find anything like that at the hardware store, and don't
have the woodshop equipment to create such a groove.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What would be the best way to hang a cabinet like this (see link).
The backing is cardboard so I only have 1/2" wood on the outer edges.
Would like to hang it without any visible brackets.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...&cmArea=SEARCH

I have seen some cabinets use two 30" by 2" by 1/4" pieces of wood
with a groove in each of them. Mount one on the cabinet and one on the
wall, and then let it just lock in place. Is there a name for these,
I could not find anything like that at the hardware store, and don't
have the woodshop equipment to create such a groove.

I'd be concerned about trying to hang it from the top too. You could
do a floating shelf under it and avoid the problem entirely. The
hardware to do a floating shelf is simple, it's just a rod with a
plate at the back which you screw to the wall studs, and drill holes
for the rods into the back of your shelf.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 17, 12:04 pm, Albert wrote:
What would be the best way to hang a cabinet like this (see link).
The backing is cardboard so I only have 1/2" wood on the outer edges.
Would like to hang it without any visible brackets.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...sProductDispla...

I have seen some cabinets use two 30" by 2" by 1/4" pieces of wood
with a groove in each of them. Mount one on the cabinet and one on the
wall, and then let it just lock in place. Is there a name for these,
I could not find anything like that at the hardware store, and don't
have the woodshop equipment to create such a groove.

I saw a neat bracket affair in LOWES yesterday, I
It consisted of two strips of aluminum, one with an integral bubble
level that fastened to the wall and another that fastened to the
object to be hung.

However, the thing I saw using your link was NOT designed to be hung.
I could NOT see if there was a decent recess where the backing
cardboard was affixed to the case material. Interested in this as my
thought was to reinforce the backing with a sheet of Masonite cut to
fit the recess exactly and seriously glued to case and backing. with
such an arrangement, you could cut two strips of wood the width of the
backing about three inches wide and 1/2" thick. then, cut each of
those in half on a table saw using a 30 degree tilt on the blade.

Fixing (more adhesive) two of the strips to the wall and the other two
to the case and back such that the strip on the wall had the angled
edge form a grove into which the angled edge of the strips on the wall
would fit nicely. (Same principle as te device at Lowes, cheaper and
thinner with ability to glue it to cabinet (screw it to wall studs)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 09:04:43 -0700, Albert wrote:

I think that would depend on your meaning of "hang"...

If you want to hang it like a picture, find someone that has a shop and get a
scrap of hardboard or plywood a few inches wide and just under 24" long..
Screw and glue it to the back across the top and either put screw eyes and with
across the strip, or holes for hooks on the wall..

If you want a more permanent version, I'd spend a few more bucks and get a metal
one, or at least one with a wood back..
I have a slightly larger unit, of sheet metal, I guess, that's been hung in 3
offices and 2 shops so far and is still "hanging in there"...

What would be the best way to hang a cabinet like this (see link).
The backing is cardboard so I only have 1/2" wood on the outer edges.
Would like to hang it without any visible brackets.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...&cmArea=SEARCH

I have seen some cabinets use two 30" by 2" by 1/4" pieces of wood
with a groove in each of them. Mount one on the cabinet and one on the
wall, and then let it just lock in place. Is there a name for these,
I could not find anything like that at the hardware store, and don't
have the woodshop equipment to create such a groove.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Albert, J.P. wrote:
This is an old thread, but I have noticed these available online at Home
Depot, just metal and not wood.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hillman-...4269/302022526
Hillman picture and miror french cleat hanging system. One of the commenters
mentions cleats, so it may be a good solution for those in this boat!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ng-389784-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/2/2018 8:14 PM, J.P. wrote:
replying to Albert, J.P. wrote:
This is an old thread, but I have noticed these available online at Home
Depot, just metal and not wood.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hillman-...4269/302022526

Hillman picture and miror french cleat hanging system.Â* One of the commenters
mentions cleats, so it may be a good solution for those in this boat!

FWIW, ready-made French cleats are available from various makers and
vendors in plastic, steel, aluminum, wood (and probably other materials I
haven't even thought of). The few times I've used them in my own work I've
always made my own of a hardwood such as maple.