Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? CXCIII

Set 193 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

some more silly guesses from germany ...

1061 to remove the isolation from electric wires, a cable stripper
1062 no idea
1063 oh yes, this is clearly for ... eh, no idea. Itchy and scratchy stuff?
1064 no idea (percussion cap for #1066 or #1060 ?)
1065 no idea
1066 some kind of alarm mechanism. when you touch the long arm (first photo,
left side), the triangle in the middle is ejected, releases the hammer which
hits a percussion cap stored on the ... how is it named in english? ... on
the "amboss" seen on pic 2 in the middle.

greetings from germany
chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
Set 193 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1064: these remind me of the thimbles which are used to store the
elastic rings used in pigeon racing (before the advent of electronic rings).
(see also
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ringpotjes.JPG)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 04:24:19 -0400, "R.H."
wrote:

Set 193 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1061) Wire strippers for wire wrap wire

1064) Percussion caps for firearms

Mark
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1062. Chinese lock.
1065. Sap for whacking people on the head and knocking them out.
Karl

On Aug 15, 10:24 pm, "R.H." wrote:
Set 193 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
Set 193 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1063 4 stamp mill for braking down rock/ore etc.

No clue on the others.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Set 193 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1061: Hell if I know.
1062: That's brass formed into some "damned if I know what" shape.
1063: Crushes coal to size for a boiler furnace? Possible use on a
steam ship.
1064: Percussion caps for item 1066. SEE-1066 below.
1065: Ophthalmologist uses it to cover one of your eyes during eye
test chart reading to determine eyesight strength in each separate
eye.
1066: Dr Jack Kervorkian's latest "do it yourself" suicide gadget?
Dave
What do I win?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

dav1936531 fired this volley in
news
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1062 is a Korean style "treasure box" lock. Usually they take the form
of exotic bas-relief carved cedar or mahogony, and often come in nested
sets of three or four boxes.

That sort of lock is also quite often found on high-end Ivory chess sets
and Gomoku sets from the orient, circa 1940-1960.

The I-beam key has no "teeth" like would a western style key. It's one-
off, hand-made geometry is just a little different for each lock, so that
other locks' keys won't fit in the "I" shaped hole. The key merely
expands a fork-shaped detent inside or presses up a single-leaf spring
latch, to allow one entire end of the lock (with the crosspin/hasp) to
slide out. It isn't captive, and can be easily damaged when dropped
(don't ask how I know).

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"dav1936531" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news
What do I win?

You have the choice ...

.... a 5 meter cable for your wireless lan.

or

.... free entrance for the next open door day

;-) chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 11:15:19 +0200, Christian Stüben
wrote:

some more silly guesses from germany ...

1061 to remove the isolation from electric wires, a cable stripper
1062 no idea
1063 oh yes, this is clearly for ... eh, no idea. Itchy and scratchy stuff?
1064 no idea (percussion cap for #1066 or #1060 ?)
1065 no idea
1066 some kind of alarm mechanism. when you touch the long arm (first photo,
left side), the triangle in the middle is ejected, releases the hammer which
hits a percussion cap stored on the ... how is it named in english? ... on
the "amboss" seen on pic 2 in the middle.

greetings from germany
chris

1061 looks for all the world like a scotch mechanism out of a shaper.

1062 is a little ornamental lock.
mine was made in india and uses a cast brass "I" section key that is
poked into the hole not shown in the other end. this action squeezes
together two vanes which eventually disengage to allow the lock to be
slid apart.

1063 is a stamping/crushing mill. the grate it stamps into isnt
something I've ever seen so it isnt for crushing rock.
my guess is a continuous coal stamper that feeds a small boiler.

1065 is the very original ping pong bat. these were made illegal in
the game of ping pong when it was found that the balls were returning
supersonic. :-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

#1062 a sliding weight for a beam type scale

"R.H." wrote in message
Set 193 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On 16 Aug, 10:28, Christian Stüben wrote:
"dav1936531" schrieb im Newsbeitragnewsal8c3t1mh2qrfpuf7g7fubg0mg1agdpfm @4ax.com...

What do I win?

You have the choice ...

... a 5 meter cable for your wireless lan.

or

... free entrance for the next open door day

;-) chris

- ... a 5 meter cable for your wireless lan.

COAX or Cat - 5?

WIRE-less

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
Set 193 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1061 small wire stripper
1062 lock
1063 Cat Crusher
1064 CCI 11M percussion caps (looks like before they added the primer)
1065 Something my wife would like to use on me
1066 is a lot like a fancier 1060

--
©Russ

"Praise Jebus!" - H. J. Simpson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:28:25 +0200, Christian Stüben
wrote:

You have the choice ...

... a 5 meter cable for your wireless lan.

or

... free entrance for the next open door day

;-) chris

I'll take the free entrance at the next open door day because I
already have the free wireless LAN cables............I shop lifted
them at Best Buy. Free.......FREE FOR ME!!! Bwahahahahha!!!!
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

I received an email from somebody looking for help in identifying some
things that were found with a metal detector on a football field. They've
got some good guesses but they haven't been able to verify exactly what they
were for, the original post can be seen he

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...c,91892.0.html

Or skip ahead to page four to see all of the photos:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...91892.300.html

Maybe someone here will recognize them.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to R.H. :
Set 193 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1061) Hmm ... do the red parts pivot out, to form handles
for levering something into place?

Otherwise, it looks a little like a variant on a bicycle pedal,
except that it does not have the full-length bearing housing,
and the shape of the red parts is perhaps closer to working as a
hand grip instead of a foot pedal. Perhaps for some kind of
exercise machine?

1062) Mounting for the end of a strap or handle -- perhaps for
a suitcase?

1063) My first thought was that it was for crushing sugar cane to
extract the sugar. But it looks as though there is a firebox
below the grate where the crushing goes on -- so perhaps it is
for breaking up coal to a finer size?

In any case, it is powered by a flat belt through the pulley at
the bottom left, and I would not like to get my limbs in the
path of those crushing blades.

1064) Primers (caps) for a cap-and-ball weapon. I think that this
size is for cap-and-ball revolvers. The caps slide on over the
nipples on the cylinder, the powder is poured in, and the ball
with wadding and waterproofing is inserted on top of the powder
with a lever operated plunger built under the barrel of the
weapon. (Actually -- don't put the primers in place until all
of the other steps have been completed. :-)

When the hammer strikes the cap, crushing it between the nipple
and the hammer, it sets off the compound which you can see as a
redish-orange layer in the bottom of some of the caps in the
photo. The fire from that goes though a hole in the nipple, to
set off the powder and launch the ball and wadding through the
barrel.

I also recognize the mark of one of the common primer makers for
reloading cartridges -- CCI, which is one thing which made me
more sure that I had properly identified these, as they do not
look like the earlier caps which I have seen.

1065) An early prototype "cosh" (blackjack)? :-)

Perhaps something used in the beating out of gold leaf?

1066) A cap and ball salute gun perhaps? Set off either by stepping
on the pedal to the right or by pulling on the chain to pull the
triangular piece of steel out from between the hammer and the
lock mechanism to trigger it.

The other end of the chain has a safety pin to keep the hammer
from moving until it is removed.

I don't know for sure whether this is just a noisemaker, or is
actually intended to fire a ball. If the latter, I don't like
the length of the foot pedal.

Hmm ... a closer look at the sear shows that it releases when
the pedal is moved *up*, not down. This might suggest that it
is for trap shooting of burrowing varmints. Place it over the
hole, then the critter comes out, the top of it's head pushes up
the lever, and the gun discharges to dispose of the critter.

In any case -- it *might* work with the caps shown up above in
this puzzle set.

Now to see what others have said,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Most of them have been answered correctly this week; more photos, a few
links, and an update on the sundial cannon have posted on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan193-xr.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Aug 16, 4:24 am, "R.H." wrote:
Set 193 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1061 is an adjustable-length wirewrap wire stripper.
I think 1066 might be the percussion lock for a cannon.
jw