Bob Bowles

Default Band saw choice

Try Suffolk Machinery with your question, makers of Timberwolf blades.
1-800-234-SAWS

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:08:29 -0500, "Lionel"
wrote:

He makes rustic furniture from oak branches he recycles when he sees a tree
being cut down. I DAGS but wasn't able to sort through everything to get
him a succinct answer.

Lionel

One of our sons asked me this question:

Got any info on how to choose a good band saw, wondering what rpm, blade,
size would be good for ripping oak branches up to 4" in diameter?

He makes rustic furniture from oak branches he recycles when he sees a tree
being cut down. I DAGS but wasn't able to sort through everything to get
him a succinct answer.

Thanks.

Lionel

Andy Dingley

wrote:

Got any info on how to choose a good band saw, wondering what rpm, blade,
size would be good for ripping oak branches up to 4" in diameter?

Up to 4" logs, most of the "home workshop" grade 14" (wheel diameter)
bandsaws will happily saw them.

IMHO, go for a welded steel frame, not cast iron. Lagunas and MiniMax
are nice. If you've got the money, go for an 18" - you'll not regret
investing in a serious bandsaw.

One thing you will definitely need is a log-sawing sled. JOAT posted
this link recently, which is the sort of thing you need (but maybe
bigger).
http://www.ship-modelers-assn.org/tps0105.htm

Mark Duginske's "Bandsaw Handbook"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...980/codesmiths
is worth having too. Especially for the advice on choosing blades -
and as a bandsaw is just a machine for moving blades around, then you
should invest in an appropriate range of good blades. Timberwolves are
well spoken of for heavy resawing on small machines.

--
Smert' spamionam
Edwin Pawlowski

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

IMHO, go for a welded steel frame, not cast iron.

Hmmm, I would have guessed the opposite (for any tool). Why do you think the
steel is better?
Ed

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:26:07 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

IMHO, go for a welded steel frame, not cast iron.

Hmmm, I would have guessed the opposite (for any tool). Why do you think the
steel is better?

Better ability to deliver tension, for a given frame size.

Maybe this isn't an issue on large machines (although a steel 18" is
also easier to move around than a CI one). On a 14" machine though,
you can tension a wide resaw blade on a good steel frame that you
can't on an iron frame.

--
Smert' spamionam

Jim K

I just got the Grizzly 14" Ultimate (marketing hype here) band saw and
turned it on last night. So far so good. No vibration, easy to put
together, looks solid (about 190 pounds) and is VERY quiet. I've cut
some 1/16 sheets off a 2x4 just playing around today and have been
happy so far -- of course, in a couple of years, I may be regreting
the choice, but so far it seems to do what I need.