Posted to rec.woodworking

Default pin OaK?

just had a pin oak fall in my mothers front yard is this wood any good for
woodworking?(worth have a mini mill make planks?)

thanks Len

Posted to rec.woodworking

leonard wrote:
just had a pin oak fall in my mothers front yard is this wood any good for
woodworking?(worth have a mini mill make planks?)

thanks Len

Ten years ago I took down two huge pin oaks - maybe 30 to 32" at the
base. I had them milled, dried etc. . . . I wouldn't do it again. The
wood is a washed out, unattractive color, and full of knots. I ended up
using some of the material for shop grade stuff, but frankly, it was
barely worth that. IMO, Pin Oak is not a quality furniture grade wood.

Rick
http://www.thunderworksinc.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Naw it's worthless, You should get rid of it as soon as possible. In point
of fact I'm such a nice guy I'll relieve you of the burden :-)

Seriously, It is nice turning wood. AS branch came off a Pin Oak in a
friend's yard. I took a section and turned a bowl and 2 hollow forms..

It has a cream collored sapwood and a darker grey-brown heartwood, really
nice.