Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Please help - Mexican Furniture Phenomenon!

Hi

Im hope someone here can help...Ive scoured the internet but have come
up with nothing...

I own a number of pieces of Mexican pine (the heavy/solid stuff). It
is in a room with other 'non mexican type' furniture also but around
evert few days there is a layer of 'dust' that seems to appear on the
Mexican pieces but NOT anything else (ie not on the dado, skirting,
windows other furniture)

It gets dusted, and it goes...but then a few days later comes back...

The dust (or whatever it is!) seems to follow the grain in the chairs
of the dining table and weirdly only seems to appear on the vertical
surfaces (and not table tops etc)

Ive tried 'fiddies' waxing the pieces to see if that helps, but it
doesnt seem to

One thing I have noticed is that about this time of year a couple of
our solid wood doors start to stick slightly, which I think is high
humidity in the house (its about 65-70% at the moment) - the dust
problem seems to get worse when this happens??

Has anyone any idea what it is?

Im not trying to get out of dusting! - But you can tell in this room
there is a 'dusty' smell until the items are cleaned...!

Thanks

hw

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have heard time and again that this type furniture, the kind with rusted
metal trim and worn out latches and hinges is finished with a concoction
that would probably cause cancer in California. More than once I have heard
that the finish is usually a combination of used motor oil and gasoline.
This is hard to believe but the results support the possibility.
I can assure you that this combination will attract dust.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 23:42:43 -0700, "
wrote:

[snip]

|Im not trying to get out of dusting!

Didn't they tell you when you bought this stuff that they expect you
to hire a Mexican illegal alien as a maid to dust it? ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

This is likely the result of the used motor oil and industrial sludge
used to stain fruniture from Mexico. It sounds like it has a high
static charge for some reason, probably the residual heavy metals. I
think a room ionizer might help but not sure.

On Aug 7, 11:42 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the replies, I didnt realise that the use of the materials
used to coat could attract dusts this way?

So, Im guessing no cure other than,

a) get rid

b) put up with it!

"finished with a concoction that would probably cause cancer in
California"

Oh dear!

Thanks again...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 8, 2:42 am, "
The dust (or whatever it is!) seems to follow the grain in the chairs
of the dining table and weirdly only seems to appear on the vertical
surfaces (and not table tops etc)

Cheaper, poorly-drying finish on the vertical surfaces, possibly
mineral
oil, or Danish oil applied too heavily and not wiped back promptly --
it's following the grain because it's weeping. Is it worse on end
grain?

You could probably seal in the weeping oil with blonde shellac.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the replies, I didnt realise that the use of the materials
used to coat could attract dusts this way?

So, Im guessing no cure other than,

a) get rid

b) put up with it!

"finished with a concoction that would probably cause cancer in
California"

Oh dear!

Thanks again...

2 or 3 coats of a good varnish should solve the problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

A mexican furniture mfg in Monterey told me they used asphalt cut with
gasoline. Imagine telling that to your insurance company! But then
again I watched mex labor dip primitive furniture in metal livestock
tanks filled with boiling lye water fueled by wood fires underneath to
strip paint. They were wearing elbow length rubber gloves but can you
imagine a splash that would take meat down to the bone! This was in
Juarez just across the border.

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 08:05:25 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

I have heard time and again that this type furniture, the kind with rusted
metal trim and worn out latches and hinges is finished with a concoction
that would probably cause cancer in California. More than once I have heard
that the finish is usually a combination of used motor oil and gasoline.
This is hard to believe but the results support the possibility.
I can assure you that this combination will attract dust.

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

OK, so it looks probable that the crappy finish on the furntiture is
the cause...

I wouldnt mind trying the varnish route - but the wood is supposed to
look 'rustic', so a really high gloss effect might look strange?

Can you buy 'non gloss' varnishes (clear) that would do the job of
helping to seal the wood (and hopefully reduce the dust) but at the
same time still not maker it look like polished pine etc?

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
OK, so it looks probable that the crappy finish on the furntiture is
the cause...

I wouldnt mind trying the varnish route - but the wood is supposed to
look 'rustic', so a really high gloss effect might look strange?

Can you buy 'non gloss' varnishes (clear) that would do the job of
helping to seal the wood (and hopefully reduce the dust) but at the
same time still not maker it look like polished pine etc?

Thanks!

Satin finish polyurethane doesn't look bad on the "Mexican" style furniture.
I use it on "Southwest" style.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for advice...

Could you give me any idea of the product name(s) for a good 'Satin
finish polyurethane' - I live in the UK, so Im not sure if the same
products are available?

Lastly, Im not experienced in varnishing, are there any methods/do's/
donts anywhere on the web that may help me getting the right
technique?

Many thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for advice...

Could you give me any idea of the product name(s) for a good 'Satin
finish polyurethane' - I live in the UK, so Im not sure if the same
products are available?

Lastly, Im not experienced in varnishing, are there any methods/do's/
donts anywhere on the web that may help me getting the right
technique?

Many thanks!

You will probably get the best results if you use a gel varnish. It is
easily to apply and will give you good results. Wipe a little on with a rag
and with a clean lent free rag wipe off the excess. Plan on applying about
4 coats.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:50:10 GMT, "Leon"

|You will probably get the best results if you use a gel varnish. It is
|easily to apply and will give you good results. Wipe a little on with a rag
|and with a clean lent free rag wipe off the excess.

Unless you're Catholic, in which case you should use a "lint" free
rag.

(I'm sorry, I just couldn't control myself.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Wes Stewart" *n7ws*@ yahoo.com wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:50:10 GMT, "Leon"

|You will probably get the best results if you use a gel varnish. It is
|easily to apply and will give you good results. Wipe a little on with a
rag
|and with a clean lent free rag wipe off the excess.

Unless you're Catholic, in which case you should use a "lint" free
rag.

(I'm sorry, I just couldn't control myself.)

;~) You were paying attention. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 23:42:49 -0700, "
wrote:

Thanks for advice...

Could you give me any idea of the product name(s) for a good 'Satin
finish polyurethane' - I live in the UK, so Im not sure if the same
products are available?

Lastly, Im not experienced in varnishing, are there any methods/do's/
donts anywhere on the web that may help me getting the right
technique?

Many thanks!

My choice, when I need to use poly..
http://www.minwax.com/products/protective/wipe-on.cfm
Very easy to use, just follow directions..
It "seems" to be available in the UK, but that info should be on the site
somewhere..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi, Ive tried searching on google.co.uk / products and E-bay for the
Minwax product mentioned, but it doesnt seem to come up as available
easily in the UK??

Does anyone know is any UK online sites sell the Minwax Wipe-On Poly
OR are there are any other recommended makes of similar product (I
like the idea of a rag application!) - ie Ronseal etc??

Thanks

Jon

Posted to rec.woodworking

Minwax Wipe-on Poly isn't that unique. I have used several brands of
"wipe-on" poly and achieved virtually identical results. Try whatever brand
you can find and your results should be very nearly the same as you would
get from the Minwax version.

Charley

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, Ive tried searching on google.co.uk / products and E-bay for the
Minwax product mentioned, but it doesnt seem to come up as available
easily in the UK??

Does anyone know is any UK online sites sell the Minwax Wipe-On Poly
OR are there are any other recommended makes of similar product (I
like the idea of a rag application!) - ie Ronseal etc??

Thanks

Jon

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wipe-on poly is just highly dilluted poly. Any oil based poly can just
be thinned to be used as wipe-on. It is nearly fool proof application.

Typically on the can it will say "Don't thin more than x." but you can
just ignore that.

Take normal oil poly and mix it 2 parts minerial spirits and one part
poly. You can be even more drastic if it still feels too thick. It
takes lots of mixing to get it blended well and should be stirred
often (not shaken, makes bubbles.

I prefer to apply it with a brush and really flood the surface, a
small area at a time. Then wipe it down almost immediatly with smooth
rag that is already damp with the same solution, leaving a very thin
but even coat of finish. Be very careful about overlap. Even though
poly dries really slow, with this method it gets tacky real quick so
just over lap the wet edges. Let dry 8 hours between coats or up to 24
hours. Watch for seepage where you have cracks or joints. Just check
20 minutes after application to see if anything seeped and wipe it
out. Minimum of 2 coats and as many as you want depending on how much
is sucked into the wood. Sometimes it is 3 or 4 coats before it feels
\looks kike anything is happening if the wood is porous. You can 400
sand or steel wool between coats if it feels like it needs it but be
careful or you will flatten it so much it goes to a plastic flat feel.
I typically do 3 coats, then steel wool, then a final coat and steel
wool again with wax.

On Aug 15, 5:31 am, "
wrote:
Hi, Ive tried searching on google.co.uk / products and E-bay for the
Minwax product mentioned, but it doesnt seem to come up as available
easily in the UK??

Does anyone know is any UK online sites sell the Minwax Wipe-On Poly
OR are there are any other recommended makes of similar product (I
like the idea of a rag application!) - ie Ronseal etc??

Thanks

Jon

Sly Mexican Mortimer Schnerd, RN Woodworking 0 June 27th 06 06:07 AM
Mexican Furniture Ed_Zep UK diy 6 November 22nd 05 02:22 PM
interesting phenomenon Eric R Snow Metalworking 16 July 9th 05 04:22 AM
Mexican Needs Hugs MilkyWhy Home Repair 3 January 27th 05 07:38 PM
interesting glue phenomenon Charlie Spitzer Woodworking 0 September 15th 03 10:19 PM