Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Jointer cutterhead pulley rattle

Hi,

I have a problem with a 8" Grizzly jointer that I got secondhand. The
cutterhead pulley is held on the shaft with two set screws and a key.
After running the jointer over very light loads for an hour or two the
key invariably works its way loose and flies out of the pulley.
There's a guard mechanism around it so it just rattles like hell until
I can power down the jointer. But this has happened several times.

The first time it happened I replaced the pulley and set screws
thinking it was a defect in the pulley itself. This did not fix the
problem. I've tried really cranking down on the set screws and
leaving them a little loose. No dice, it always happens again. I've
also replaced the drive belts.

The alignment between the cutter head pulley and the drive pulley
looks fine. Likewise the cutterhead shaft itself seems balanced and,
when I've just "fixed" the problem the machine runs quietly with no
evidence of vibration. I'm out of ideas about what to do at this
point... I almost want to weld the damn key onto the pulley.

If anyone has advice I would be very appreciative.

Thx,
Scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 03:49:45 GMT, Robert Allison
wrote:

I think he said that he already did that.

Ooops my mistake.......

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have a problem with a 8" Grizzly jointer that I got secondhand. The
cutterhead pulley is held on the shaft with two set screws and a key.
After running the jointer over very light loads for an hour or two the
key invariably works its way loose and flies out of the pulley.

My best guess is the shaft and pulley have a bit of clearance between them,
probably the shaft is a bit undersize since you replaced the pulley with no
improvement. I would pick up a small tube of red Locktite and apply it to
the shaft and reinstall the pulley. Clean both well with lacquer thinner, or
brake cleaner first. If you ever need to remove the pulley just apply heat
and the Locktite will give up it's grip.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

I agree with the poster who suggested that there may be too much
clearance between the pulley and the shaft. If this is true, try to
sneak a shim in between Maybe a piece of pop can or thinner if needed.
Here's a way to keep the set screws tight: Get really short set
screws so you can put tow in each hole. Tighten the bottoms ones real
well, then drive the upper ones down onto the bottom ones. This is
often done on farm machinery and that's the way they hold the pto clutch
onto my Cub Cadets.

The ultimate fix, (if the pulley is loose on the shaft) would be to get
a new pulley (again), but one that has an undersize bore. Have a
machine shop bore this pulley to be a light push fit onto the shaft.

Pete Stanaitis

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

spaco wrote:
I agree with the poster who suggested that there may be too much
clearance between the pulley and the shaft. If this is true, try to
sneak a shim in between Maybe a piece of pop can or thinner if needed.
Here's a way to keep the set screws tight: Get really short set
screws so you can put tow in each hole. Tighten the bottoms ones real
well, then drive the upper ones down onto the bottom ones. This is
often done on farm machinery and that's the way they hold the pto clutch
onto my Cub Cadets.

The ultimate fix, (if the pulley is loose on the shaft) would be to get
a new pulley (again), but one that has an undersize bore. Have a
machine shop bore this pulley to be a light push fit onto the shaft.

Diagnosis of fundamental problem is probably "spot on". May be that as
well as the pulley hogged out the shaft is worn. If so, it probably
isn't truly round which keeps the pulley from setting tight uniformly
around the shaft. Hence, it flexes and that will loosen the set screws.

The locking screw on top of the first is a good tip, for sure.

If there's sufficient gap to get anything as thick as can stock in,
there's only a slim chance it's gonna' hold w/o some help in really
fixing the problem ime.

Smaller problems may be fixable and one can buy shim stock in various
mill thicknesses.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have a problem with a 8" Grizzly jointer that I got secondhand. The
cutterhead pulley is held on the shaft with two set screws and a key.
After running the jointer over very light loads for an hour or two the
key invariably works its way loose and flies out of the pulley.

Get a steel sheave which can handle the vibration set up by the intermittant
cuts of a jointer.

BTDT.

Lew