Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Three Phase Pugmill

Hi! I'm a potter who acquired a used deairing pugmill designed for
three phase power, which I don't have and don't plan to get. Can a
static converter succesfully run it on 220? Or should I switch out the
motor to run on ordinary house current? If needed, I can post HP,
model, etc. of the machine. It has two motors, one to turn the two
screws to mix the clay, and one to run the vacuam. Thanks! Sparfish
Studio

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 1, 8:16?pm, (C. A. Sanger) wrote:
Hi! I'm a potter who acquired a used deairing pugmill designed for
three phase power, which I don't have and don't plan to get. Can a
static converter succesfully run it on 220? Or should I switch out the
motor to run on ordinary house current? If needed, I can post HP,
model, etc. of the machine. It has two motors, one to turn the two
screws to mix the clay, and one to run the vacuam. Thanks! Sparfish
Studio

Sparfish

From your message I expect that only one of the motors is 3 phase. So

yes please do post the motor information.

And a 3 phase converter should do well for you if it is necessary.

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.woodworking

Static phase converters aren't designed to handle multiple motors very well.
A rotary phase converter will be better suited for the job, but can be quite
expensive. Probably the first thing that you should do is to price
replacement motors and then decide whether new motors or a rotary phase
converter is the best option. Of course, if you go with a phase converter,
then you will be able to acquire additional 3 phase equipment and run one of
them at a time.

Charley

"C. A. Sanger" wrote in message
Hi! I'm a potter who acquired a used deairing pugmill designed for
three phase power, which I don't have and don't plan to get. Can a
static converter succesfully run it on 220? Or should I switch out the
motor to run on ordinary house current? If needed, I can post HP,
model, etc. of the machine. It has two motors, one to turn the two
screws to mix the clay, and one to run the vacuam. Thanks! Sparfish
Studio

Posted to rec.woodworking

At the Vegas AWFS show I had a long conversation with a guy who was
selling rotatry converters. I mentioned "running" one at a time and he
assured me it was just "starting" one at a time that was the
limitation. He said the converter can feed multile machines at the
same time but the start-up draw requirements only allow one to start
at a time.

I've seen from Craigs list and other places that you can often get
great prices on older 3 phase equipment because the "demand" side of
the equation is minimal with not so many people that have 3 phase so
the prices are low. This is especially true for much older machines
because most established companies (ie those with 3 phase in their
factory) aren't interested in buying old equipment. So a converter
could be a great investment over time.

On Aug 2, 7:56 am, "Charley" wrote:
[...]

Studio- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 20:16:17 -0700, (C. A. Sanger)
wrote:

Hi! I'm a potter who acquired a used deairing pugmill designed for
three phase power, which I don't have and don't plan to get. Can a
static converter succesfully run it on 220?

What's the power? Can you supply that power with your single pahse
supply?

If you can't, then no converter is going to add power, so you're looking
at a new supply. Might as well be three phase.

If it is, and you are going to buy a 3 phase motor to build a rotary
converter, then why not get a single phase motor and fit that to the
machine? If it's a simple fitment, a standard motor mount, a simple
on/off control system and moderate power, then this is often the
simplest and cheapest overall system.

Rotary converters are great for running a workshop. One they're built
and installed, you're sorted for any number of motors in a whole
workshop, in any combination (subject just to the overall power rating).
It's also a good DIY route if you can obtain second-hand large 3 phase
motors cheaply.

Static convertersare OK for single motors, but they're finickey to
adjust for load. They're OK for a one-off motor and a constant load, but
they're awkward to set up, especially for varying loads and they're
pretty much unworkable to run a whole workshop, They're also less
efficient, which might limit the available output power from a fixed
supply rating.

Electronic inverters are great, but still expensive, especially for high
powers. They're worth it for variable speeds, soft starts etc., but if
all you need is brute force, then they're too expensive.