Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default OT - A Good Day

Went to Lowes to get a refund on extras from the well project.
Stopped for an ice cream cone on the way home.

Pulled out in the right lane, and, as usual, put the pedal down
about half-way, just to hear the pipes, love those pipes. On the left I
had noticed a black whatever annoying type of import coming up fast
enough to catch up with me, apparently with the intent of whipping by me
and "impressing me". I was still accellerating at that point. I guess
him looking over, seeing an old guy eating an ice cream cone, driving a
'78 El Camino, sounding like it was, still in first, still accelerating,
kinda discouraged him. By the time it shifted into second, about 2
seconds later, I let off and looked in the side mirror - he was about
half a block behind me - not turning off, just driving straight. Ah, a
good day indeed. LMAO

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

Mmmmm, '78 Camino... me like!!! Spec your mill for us and then we can be
*really* envious.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Wed, Aug 1, 2007, 8:39pm (C*&*E) doth sayeth:
Mmmmm, '78 Camino... me like!!! Spec your mill for us and then we can be
*really* envious.

No need to be too envious, I figure I got took on the deal. New
tires and shocks all around, but it's got those stoopid looking IROC
style wheels, too. The clock doesn't work, and now the radio quit, but
the CD does still work. The air wasn't connected, but the younger son
connected it, purged it, and charged it. And someone took out the 350
originally in it, and replaced it with a rebuilt 307. They did put
something called Vortec heads on it, and something called a Crane cam
that makes it idle rough. Then instead of the good cast iron intake
someone replaced that with an aluminum one. Instead of the good stock
carb that was replaced with what must be a import because it's called
Edelbrock. The air filter isn't paper, but something called a K&N. It
must have been pretty bad, because it's got a new water pump, radiator,
alternater, and a bunch of other stuff too. Oh yeah, the trans was
rebuilt too. But on the bright side, it does have true duals with
glasspacks, and they sound absolutely great. I figure I got took pretty
bad, but I really needed a vehicle at the time, so went ahead and paid
$1400 for it anyway. I'm gonna try to shop around, for my next vehicle,
so I can get a good price.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message

glasspacks, and they sound absolutely great. I figure I got took pretty
bad, but I really needed a vehicle at the time, so went ahead and paid
$1400 for it anyway. I'm gonna try to shop around, for my next vehicle,
so I can get a good price.

Alright already!! ... you suck!!!!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Thu, Aug 2, 2007, 6:21am (EDT-1) (Swingman) doth sayeth:
Alright already!! ... you suck!!!!

Hehehe

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 06:21:33 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"J T" wrote in message

glasspacks, and they sound absolutely great. I figure I got took pretty
bad, but I really needed a vehicle at the time, so went ahead and paid
$1400 for it anyway. I'm gonna try to shop around, for my next vehicle,
so I can get a good price.

Alright already!! ... you suck!!!!

I remember "back in the day", you bought 2 sets of "cherry bomb" glass packs...
One set to run with after blowing out the glass with a few down shifts, the
other set to put on every time you got a "fix it" ticket and had to go have them
listen to it...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

You ought to be ashamed of yourself for taking some kid's pride and joy
because he needed the money.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"J T" wrote in message

glasspacks, and they sound absolutely great. I figure I got took pretty
bad, but I really needed a vehicle at the time, so went ahead and paid
$1400 for it anyway. I'm gonna try to shop around, for my next vehicle,
so I can get a good price.

Alright already!! ... you suck!!!!

Yep, major sucking there for sure. And the gloating... well, let's just
say that none of us would have done such a thing - LOL!! Hey, I *love* to
hear other people's one-in-a-million stories because I've never eard one
from myself.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

Where were you when I sold my 1956 T Bird with both tops for $1600.00 (tears
in my eyes) W W

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Posted to rec.woodworking

I remember way back in 83' When I went to Indy with the Monroe Auto Racing
Team during time trials. I was young then and had always dreamed about going
to Indy one day.

well there I was, not only at Indy, but with credentials curtiousy of Monroe
that allowed me to go anywher except for two places. The press tower, and or
the track itself during racing.

I remember getting my first up close look at the indy cars there in Gasoline
Alley. I'd very contently stand there for hours behind the cars, watching
them work on the cars, and tune them up with the engine running, with tears
running down my face from the methanol exhaust fumes. People would stop and
remind me that breathing those fumes was back for my health, but I couldn't
have cared less.

To me I was in heaven.

`
"B A R R Y" wrote in message
On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 12:57:18 -0700, charlieb
wrote:

Anyway you can install cut outs so the next Rice Rocket Jockey
can get a real idea of what a V-8 sounds like - in full voice?

Nowadays, even rice jockeys have been some sort of NASCAR event, even
if it's a lower level series. That goes double in JOAT's territory.
Unmuffled V8 sound still isn't that esoteric even though it's been so
long since true muscle cars were produced..

Now, an F1 @ full voice as it runs the entire gearbox or a Top Fuel as
it leaves the line... Now THAT'S somethin' you have to travel to
hear! G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 17:43:43 -0400, "hdrdtd"
wrote:

. People would stop and
remind me that breathing those fumes was back for my health, but I couldn't
have cared less.

To me I was in heaven.

I know that feeling! G

Once upon a time, I had access to "Hot Pit" passes at Loudon and
Pocono Winston Cup events via Turner Broadcasting, when they sponsored
the Cartoon Network car. We used to rent an R/V and watch the race
from pit wall, and the replays on the team war wagons.

One Sunday morning in Loudon, we stood 30 feet from the exhaust-exit
side of a Roush Racing T-bird on jack stands, as they set the timing
at about 8000 RPM. The sound literally wrinkled our faces! It was
terrifying, and here's some dude leaning over the engine adjusting it!
I'm anally protective of my hearing, and I could care less that
morning! It was music...

4 weeks to Vintage Weekend at Lime Rock Park, where guys bring out one
of a kind road race cars and actually race 'em!

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Fri, Aug 3, 2007, 5:43pm (hdrdtd) doth sayeth:
I remember way back in 83' When I went to Indy with the Monroe Auto
Racing Team during time trials. I was young then and had always dreamed
about going to Indy one day. snip

My trip was in about '56-'57, I believe. Major big deal for me.
Immense amount of fun watching the midget cars racing all night long.
Then next day got a close look at one or two of the Indy cars. But the
race itself was a disappointment. Hear a brrrrr, getting louder and
louder, then a blur zipping by, repeat. I would have loved to go back
to watch the midget cars run again, but as far as the Indy race goes,
it's a case of been there, seen that, don't care to do it again.

Don't care for NASCAR races either, for some of the same reasons.
Nowadays about the only roundy-rounder races I like are short track
races. You can see all the action on the track, they don't go fast
enough to get seriousuly injured in a crash (usually), and they're
usually a bunch of local racers. Otherwise I like racing that goes
right AND left. Except for mud running that is, that's always a lot of
fun. My dau-in-law drove for the first time acouple of weeks ago, she
got 5th, another guy on the team got 2d, and proke an axle, preventing
the other guy n the team from running. My younger son is the crew
chief, made most of the mods on the vehicle himself, and doesn't care to
drive, just wrench.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you like dirt track oval racing at all, they have something at the local
track that I've seen a couple of times.

I work for an automotive testing company that happened at one time to
sponsor one of the locals that ran at the local dirt track. Once in a while
we would have a company sponsored outing on a Saturday night.

The local track ran both the standard oval racing as well as figure eight
racing. I had seen figure eight racing as a young kid a long time ago.

In addition to the various heats in each class of oval racing, they had a
special event that was a figure eight race, but they did it with school
busses.! Yep, full size school busses!

Totally insane, and the crowd was on the edge of their seats the entire
race.

As you know, figure eight racing is all about timing your crossing of the
figure eight so you don't collide with another car as you go through the
center intersection. Now instead of short cars, replace them with looong
school busses that aren't terribly fast to begin with. The slower the
vehicle, the longer it takes to cross that center intersection. The longer
the vehicle, the longer it takes before the vehicle clears the intersection.
The longer the vehicle, the bigger gap in the traffic pattern you need in
order to make it through the intersection.

They would usually race between 4-8 busses in each figure eight race.

Incredible to see full size busses going around the curves in the track up
on two (ooops, make that three) wheels.

It was the most fun I'd had in a long time.