Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Phone in the shop?

When we changed from a hard-wired phone system to a set of wireless handsets
powered by Vonage, I lost my phone-triggered flashing light in the shop.

What do you guys do to hear, or see, that the phone is ringing?

Does anyone know of a gizmo that can be triggered by a wireless phone signal
that would flash a light (not necessarily the overhead lights) in the shop
when the saw, or the DC, or the lathe, etc., is running and I can't hear the
phone?

(The other) George

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"George" wrote:

When we changed from a hard-wired phone system to a set of wireless handsets
powered by Vonage, I lost my phone-triggered flashing light in the shop.

What do you guys do to hear, or see, that the phone is ringing?

Does anyone know of a gizmo that can be triggered by a wireless phone signal
that would flash a light (not necessarily the overhead lights) in the shop
when the saw, or the DC, or the lathe, etc., is running and I can't hear the
phone?

(The other) George

Plantronics makes all kinds of phone stuff. This might be what you're
looking for:

http://www.plantronics.com/north_ame...80043/cat29880
038/prod5460024
Posted to rec.woodworking

George wrote:
When we changed from a hard-wired phone system to a set of wireless
handsets powered by Vonage, I lost my phone-triggered flashing
light in the shop.

What do you guys do to hear, or see, that the phone is ringing?

I ignore the phone and use an answering machine

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

What do you guys do to hear, or see, that the phone is ringing?

I hardly use the home phone any more - my cell phone lives in my
pocket, set on vibrate. Of course I ignore it if I'm in the middle of
anything potentially dangerous involving power tools, but it doesn't
vibrate sharply enough to startle me or anything. Seems to work for
me.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Roy for your quick note. I just talked with Plantronics, and the
indicator light you sent me to only works with one of their headsets which
only work with hardwired phones, so, in this case, no dice.
"Roy Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
"George" wrote:

When we changed from a hard-wired phone system to a set of wireless
handsets
powered by Vonage, I lost my phone-triggered flashing light in the shop.

What do you guys do to hear, or see, that the phone is ringing?

Does anyone know of a gizmo that can be triggered by a wireless phone
signal
that would flash a light (not necessarily the overhead lights) in the
shop
when the saw, or the DC, or the lathe, etc., is running and I can't hear
the
phone?

(The other) George

Plantronics makes all kinds of phone stuff. This might be what you're
looking for:

http://www.plantronics.com/north_ame...80043/cat29880
038/prod5460024

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "George" wrote:
When we changed from a hard-wired phone system to a set of wireless handsets
powered by Vonage, I lost my phone-triggered flashing light in the shop.

What do you guys do to hear, or see, that the phone is ringing?

Nothing. Don't want to, either. That's why I have an answering machine. I
don't have a phone in my shop, and if I ever put one in, it will have the
ringer disabled. The LAST thing I want is to be startled while I'm operating
machinery.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"George" wrote in message
When we changed from a hard-wired phone system to a set of wireless
handsets powered by Vonage, I lost my phone-triggered flashing light in
the shop.

What do you guys do to hear, or see, that the phone is ringing?

Does anyone know of a gizmo that can be triggered by a wireless phone
signal that would flash a light (not necessarily the overhead lights) in
the shop when the saw, or the DC, or the lathe, etc., is running and I
can't hear the phone?

(The other) George

I go to the workshop to get away from things and have some me time. The
phone stays in the house.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

George wrote:
Thanks Roy for your quick note. I just talked with Plantronics, and the
indicator light you sent me to only works with one of their headsets which
only work with hardwired phones, so, in this case, no dice.

Unfortunately, no direct input for the wireless other than the set here
has a blinky red light after a message is received (that's real annoying
and I've never learned how to retrieve messages from the d---'d thing
).

If it's a business phone and prompt response is important, guess getting
into habit to check for messages would be the ticket...

Posted to rec.woodworking

efgh wrote:
What do you guys do to hear, or see, that the phone is ringing?

Does anyone know of a gizmo that can be triggered by a wireless phone
signal that would flash a light (not necessarily the overhead lights) in
the shop when the saw, or the DC, or the lathe, etc., is running and I
can't hear the phone?

(The other) George

I go to the workshop to get away from things and have some me time. The
phone stays in the house.

I have a hardwired phone on both sides of my shop. It's for my convenience. If
I can't hear it, too bad.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
George wrote:
When we changed from a hard-wired phone system to a set of wireless handsets
powered by Vonage, I lost my phone-triggered flashing light in the shop.

You've got a vonage box, with a wired connection to the wireless base-station,
no?

If so just run that same wiring out to the 'same old' flashing light in
the shop.

Or did you have some kind of 'ultra fancy' light that reacted to the
-sound- of a ringing phone nearby -- as distinct from something that
reacted to the ringing signal on the phone wire?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

Nothing. Don't want to, either. That's why I have an answering machine. I
don't have a phone in my shop, and if I ever put one in, it will have the
ringer disabled. The LAST thing I want is to be startled while I'm
operating
machinery.

I agree in principle, but I do carry the phone to the shop. I want to be
able to call 911 if needed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 30, 10:17 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message

Nothing. Don't want to, either. That's why I have an answering machine. I
don't have a phone in my shop, and if I ever put one in, it will have the
ringer disabled. The LAST thing I want is to be startled while I'm
operating
machinery.

I agree in principle, but I do carry the phone to the shop. I want to be
able to call 911 if needed.

Ditto above emergency only

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com, henry wrote:
On Jul 30, 10:17 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message

Nothing. Don't want to, either. That's why I have an answering machine. I
don't have a phone in my shop, and if I ever put one in, it will have the
ringer disabled. The LAST thing I want is to be startled while I'm
operating
machinery.

I agree in principle, but I do carry the phone to the shop. I want to be
able to call 911 if needed.

Ditto above emergency only

IMO, having a phone *with a ringer* in the shop makes you more likely to
*need* to call 911. Someday, I'll put one in, but I'm not in a big rush to do
so, and when I do, I'll disable the ringer. My shop's in the basement, and
there's already a phone only ten or twelve steps away from the shop door if I
need it.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 31, 9:05 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
I have CharterNet VOIP. They installed a box that replaced my old wired phone junction box and conected my incmming wires to it. All my phones work normally - wired and wireless. I think you might COMPLAIN to Vonage or the ISP and see if they don't have a solution.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:18:34 -0400, "George" wrote:

When we changed from a hard-wired phone system to a set of wireless handsets
powered by Vonage, I lost my phone-triggered flashing light in the shop.

What do you guys do to hear, or see, that the phone is ringing?

Does anyone know of a gizmo that can be triggered by a wireless phone signal
that would flash a light (not necessarily the overhead lights) in the shop
when the saw, or the DC, or the lathe, etc., is running and I can't hear the
phone?

(The other) George

Our cordless setup has a flasher on the handset to let you know that the phone
is ringing, if you can't hear it...
As most of the time I DON'T hear it, I'm glad that it also blinks when someone
leaves a message..

When we lived in the States, I had the base unit in the shop, so that I could
use a ringer/flasher from radio shack... now, I just let the wife answer it,
it's usually for her anyway.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

(J T) wrote in
:

Tue, Jul 31, 2007, 9:38am (EDT-3)

(mac*davis) doth sayeth:
snip It's recommended that you program a someone's number in the
phone to notify in case of emergency.. Make the name in your phonebook
ICE...emergency personnel are trained to look for the number if the
person in trouble has a cell phone..

I can list numbers, which I've done. I have no idea what ICE is.

ICE is frozen water. Since it's capitolized, it's being emphasized in
some matter, such as ICE CREAM! It's often used to sooth sports
injuries, so if you see someone injured playing ice hockey remember he's
got an advantage if he gets hurt. It's only an inch or so to the ice
for him. ;-)

On cell phones, a number labeled ICE is for someone else to call In Case
of Emergency. This way an EMT doesn't have to spend time calling
everyone in your phone to try to help you.

So
much info to absorb, so little concern about absorbing most of it. I
think I'll just list my son's number, and label it, CALL IN CASE OF
EMERGENCY; that ought to cover it.

Here's the keystrokes to type that out on my cell phone keypad:
222 2 555 555 # 444 66 # 222 2 7777 33 # 666 333 # 33 6 33 777 4 33 66
222 999

As opposed to "ICE":
444 222 33

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
reenews.net...
On cell phones, a number labeled ICE is for someone else to call In Case
of Emergency. This way an EMT doesn't have to spend time calling
everyone in your phone to try to help you.

Use the refrigerator for something besides an art gallery.
http://www.folife.org/

Keep the meds list updated!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

On cell phones, a number labeled ICE is for someone else to call In Case
of Emergency. This way an EMT doesn't have to spend time calling
everyone in your phone to try to help you.

Do real EMT's actually check, or is that an urban legend? Anybody here
an EMT?

Personally, I travel with a laminated card listing contact, insurance,
and medical information, as well as my driver's license in my money
clip. Extra copies of the card and laminated photocopies of my driver's
license are also in my bicycle ID packets, my kayak, and my flight bag.

I figure if the cards are obliterated the phone won't be much good, either.

If real EMT's say the ICE thing is the real deal, I guess it can't hurt.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
t...
Puckdropper wrote:

On cell phones, a number labeled ICE is for someone else to call In Case
of Emergency. This way an EMT doesn't have to spend time calling
everyone in your phone to try to help you.

Do real EMT's actually check, or is that an urban legend? Anybody here an
EMT?

Personally, I travel with a laminated card listing contact, insurance, and
medical information, as well as my driver's license in my money clip.
Extra copies of the card and laminated photocopies of my driver's license
are also in my bicycle ID packets, my kayak, and my flight bag.

I figure if the cards are obliterated the phone won't be much good,
either.

If real EMT's say the ICE thing is the real deal, I guess it can't hurt.

We're not cops, so we can't go through your property legally without your
permission. That's why having the information in a public place like the
fridge is such a good idea. You may not be able to answer the questions on
your own, and the emergency numbers and diagnosis by medication may be all
the history we can get. Also a good idea to have any medical alert in the
form of a necklace, as the primary survey runs top to bottom, and that'll be
noticed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

George wrote:

We're not cops, so we can't go through your property legally without
your permission. That's why having the information in a public place
like the fridge is such a good idea. You may not be able to answer the
questions on your own, and the emergency numbers and diagnosis by
medication may be all the history we can get. Also a good idea to have
any medical alert in the form of a necklace, as the primary survey runs
top to bottom, and that'll be noticed.

Thanks!

I carry a clear plastic Ziploc sandwich bag when cycling that contains
my license, insurance info, kin and primary Dr. contact info, some basic
medical info (like "No known med allergies" and my blood type) and $10.
I never knew you guys can't open that.

I teach cycling classes, and will make sure to add the necklace reminder
to the course. I've had cops in the classes on many occasions, and they
hadn't mentioned the property angle, so this is great stuff to know.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
We're not cops, so we can't go through your property legally without
your permission. That's why having the information in a public place
like the fridge is such a good idea.

I have to believe though that if one is receiving medical attention and the
cause of the distress is not apparent, then an EMT or a doctor in an emerge
will see if there's any information in a wallet. In actuality, I've seen it
happen while waiting for treatment in an emergency ward.

Of course, it's up here in Canada I've seen it so I don't know how the same
emergency personnel would act down in the US where lawsuits are more
commonplace. As far as the bracelet goes, I tried one for a short period on
my wrist and it kept getting caught when I was rolling around in my
wheelchair. The neck type was irritating, so I don't wear any med alert
stuff and have all the necessary information in my wallet. Maybe I'm at
risk, but so be it, I've taken all the precautions I'm willing to take.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 30, 10:18 am, "George" wrote:
When we changed from a hard-wired phone system to a set of wireless handsets
powered by Vonage, I lost my phone-triggered flashing light in the shop.

What do you guys do to hear, or see, that the phone is ringing?

Does anyone know of a gizmo that can be triggered by a wireless phone signal
that would flash a light (not necessarily the overhead lights) in the shop
when the saw, or the DC, or the lathe, etc., is running and I can't hear the
phone?

(The other) George

Our VOIP from Charter Net came with a box that took the CABLE input
and provided the POTS (tip and ting?) connector to which we simply
attached our existing phone wires. We did NOT have to change phones,
nor ringers, flashers, fax nor answering machine to get the service.
Maybe you should call the VONAGE folks and complain. They may have a
solution as he feature is BIG FOR DEAF PEOPLE which is a handicap and
likely covered by some statute(s) somewhere.

Posted to rec.woodworking

My Panasonic cordless phone (plugged into my vonage network adapter) has
a light on the end of the antenna that flashes when the phone rings.
IIRC the phones were pretty cheap at Circuit City.

George wrote:
When we changed from a hard-wired phone system to a set of wireless handsets
powered by Vonage, I lost my phone-triggered flashing light in the shop.

What do you guys do to hear, or see, that the phone is ringing?

Does anyone know of a gizmo that can be triggered by a wireless phone signal
that would flash a light (not necessarily the overhead lights) in the shop
when the saw, or the DC, or the lathe, etc., is running and I can't hear the
phone?

(The other) George

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

| ICE is frozen water. Since it's capitolized, it's being emphasized
| in some matter, such as ICE CREAM!

Better hope not - if it's capitolized, add it to the list of things
the legislature has grabbed for itself.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
[...]

We have an "implied consent" statute which covers the unconscious, and all
minors in absence of parent, but it's strictly for medical treatment. I've
used it a few times, even waiting until a patient I knew was about to crash
did so so I could treat them. Cops, on the other hand, can do things like
put people in protective custody if they seem a danger to themselves or
others, determine if they're too drunk to give "informed consent," and do
the same with their personal property.

Patient belongings are routinely collected in the Emergency Department, but
I wouldn't want to be the caregiver of record when someone claims they had
fifteen hundred bucks in their wallet before I picked them up!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi writes:

Our VOIP from Charter Net came with a box that took the CABLE input
and provided the POTS (tip and ting?) connector

Tip and Ring. Think phone plug, one conductor is connected to the
tip, the other to the ring. Old convention Red = Ring = Right. (the
red (ring) conductor would be on the right side of a connection block).

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Patriarch wrote:
(Robert Bonomi) wrote in
:

In article ,
George wrote:
When we changed from a hard-wired phone system to a set of wireless
handsets powered by Vonage, I lost my phone-triggered flashing light
in the shop.

You've got a vonage box, with a wired connection to the wireless
base-station, no?

If so just run that same wiring out to the 'same old' flashing light
in the shop.

Or did you have some kind of 'ultra fancy' light that reacted to the
-sound- of a ringing phone nearby -- as distinct from something that
reacted to the ringing signal on the phone wire?

Vonage MAY NOT have that signal identified in their box. Not all VoIP
services do. You'd likely want to check, if it were important to you.

signal 'identified'? *WHAT* signal??

Anything that supports a POTS phone uses a standard 2-wire connection to
the phone.

If the Vonage adapter will ring a _phone_ plugged into it, it *WILL* activate
any other 'direct connect to the telephone wiring' device that reacts to
ringing. Such a device 'looks like' a regular POTS phone to whatever is on
the other end of the wiring..

Radio shack used to sell 'em, under the name "Fone Flasher", to mention one
of the most widely available ones. Unfortunately, it seems to have been
discontinued several years ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Par Par is offline

B A R R Y :
Do real EMT's actually check, or is that an urban legend? Anybody here
an EMT?

In my case they'd have a fun time trying to guess the PIN before it
locks down hard.

/Par

--
Par
Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in places even more inaccessible
Posted to rec.woodworking

Par wrote:
B A R R Y :
Do real EMT's actually check, or is that an urban legend? Anybody here
an EMT?

In my case they'd have a fun time trying to guess the PIN before it
locks down hard.

/Par

Come to think of it, my phone also locks after a period of inactivity.