Posted to alt.rec.woodworking,rec.woodworking,alt.woodworking

Default How to prepare or store a section of trunk for furniture or decorativeuse?

I have a section of maple tree trunk thats about 4" thick. The
diameter is roughly 3 feet.

Tree was cut down about 2 months ago. It's been sitting in a storage
room (70f, 40-50% humidity).

How should it be stored or cured or dried (or what-ever) prior to
being prepared for some sort of use - maybe as a decoration or a
table-top ?

Should it be stored? Or should it be sanded, planed, stained or
sealed ASAP?

Are there any web sites that might have some good info on this?
Posted to alt.rec.woodworking,rec.woodworking,alt.woodworking

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 21:25:45 -0400, Wood Guy wrote:

I have a section of maple tree trunk thats about 4" thick. The
diameter is roughly 3 feet.

Tree was cut down about 2 months ago. It's been sitting in a storage
room (70f, 40-50% humidity).

How should it be stored or cured or dried (or what-ever) prior to
being prepared for some sort of use - maybe as a decoration or a
table-top ?

Should it be stored? Or should it be sanded, planed, stained or
sealed ASAP?

Are there any web sites that might have some good info on this?

If you haven't already put that waxy green wood sealer on both ends,
it's probably already too late. The wood want's to begin drying
immediately and start checking and cracking. Such a sealer is
available from Rockler among other places.

I believe there's a chemical called Pentacryl that's used to keep
green wood from checking and cracking. You soak the piece in it, and
the chemical displaces the water in the wood cells. I might be wrong
on that name, but I'm sure such a chemical is available.

FWIW, I've got a couple of log sections around 2 feet in dia x 2 feet
long in my garage sealed with green wood sealer from Rockler for
around a year with no visible checking or cracking. Yet.

The right way to prepare lumber rjdankert Woodworking 18 October 13th 06 05:58 AM
INSPIRATION - Trunk J T Woodworking 0 January 8th 06 12:46 AM
They can't say you need to prepare, just that you will feel better Gunner Asch Metalworking 21 September 30th 05 01:43 PM
Keep Away From Marlo's Furniture Rockville Store ---- Nightmare! Kate Home Ownership 3 March 13th 04 12:21 AM
Best Leather furniture style store dealer Steve Home Ownership 1 November 25th 03 12:49 PM