Posted to rec.woodworking

Default wood for push-pins?

Pardon me for what's probably a silly question. I'm looking for a wood
that's easy to stick tacks or push-pins into (by hand), but more
substantial than cork or balsa. Any suggestions?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default wood for push-pins? (caveat lector!)

Roy Smith wrote:
| Pardon me for what's probably a silly question. I'm looking for a
| wood that's easy to stick tacks or push-pins into (by hand), but
| more substantial than cork or balsa. Any suggestions?

How easy?

white pine, date palm

Of course, for _real_ easy it's hard to beat carefully kiln-dried
banana wood. The problem is that it isn't usually available in
boards - generally it's sold in 'splits'.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Roy Smith wrote:
Pardon me for what's probably a silly question. I'm looking for a wood
that's easy to stick tacks or push-pins into (by hand), but more
substantial than cork or balsa. Any suggestions?

Sugar pine, basswood, aspen, redwood

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
TH TH is offline

End grain basswood

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
Pardon me for what's probably a silly question. I'm looking for a wood
that's easy to stick tacks or push-pins into (by hand), but more
substantial than cork or balsa. Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

Roy Smith wrote:
| Pardon me for what's probably a silly question. I'm looking for a
| wood that's easy to stick tacks or push-pins into (by hand), but
| more substantial than cork or balsa. Any suggestions?

How easy?

A plain old notice board for a public area. I'm just worried that cork
will get beat up quickly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

One thing about cork... it's pretty much self healing.
Wood on the other hand will gather holes like crazy and eventualy splinter
and chip.

I'd find some good quality cork and put a lovely wooden frame around it.

Kate
______
/l ,[____],
l-L -OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)--)_)

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
Pardon me for what's probably a silly question. I'm looking for a wood
that's easy to stick tacks or push-pins into (by hand), but more
substantial than cork or balsa. Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Roy Smith wrote:
| In article ,
| "Morris Dovey" wrote:
|
|| Roy Smith wrote:
||| Pardon me for what's probably a silly question. I'm looking for a
||| wood that's easy to stick tacks or push-pins into (by hand), but
||| more substantial than cork or balsa. Any suggestions?
|| How easy?
|
| A plain old notice board for a public area. I'm just worried that
| cork will get beat up quickly.

I think I'd be seriously tempted to glue 1/8" cork over something like
fiberboard. Several people have suggested end-grain solutions, an idea
I like, but I'm not sure that end-grain slices will heal as well as
I'd expect the cork to do.

[ Not believing that no one was willing to play straight man and ask:
"What's a 'split'?" Ah, well... ]

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you could get something like an old or cheap new dartboard that would be
practically indestructable for this sort of application. The wires can be
removed fairly easily and then you'd only have to deal with it being round
.
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Roy Smith wrote:
| In article ,
| "Morris Dovey" wrote:
|
|| Roy Smith wrote:
||| Pardon me for what's probably a silly question. I'm looking for a
||| wood that's easy to stick tacks or push-pins into (by hand), but
||| more substantial than cork or balsa. Any suggestions?
|| How easy?
|
| A plain old notice board for a public area. I'm just worried that
| cork will get beat up quickly.

I think I'd be seriously tempted to glue 1/8" cork over something like
fiberboard. Several people have suggested end-grain solutions, an idea
I like, but I'm not sure that end-grain slices will heal as well as
I'd expect the cork to do.

[ Not believing that no one was willing to play straight man and ask:
"What's a 'split'?" Ah, well... ]

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:22:34 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

Pardon me for what's probably a silly question. I'm looking for a wood
that's easy to stick tacks or push-pins into (by hand), but more
substantial than cork or balsa. Any suggestions?

Might depend on how big the notice board or whatever is...

For a fairly small area or a large budget, I'd go with the pine or basswood,
probably end grain..

For larger, less expensive applications, I'd use an inexpensive fiberboard
bulletin board (no use re-inventing the wheel) with a replaceable skin of thin
wood, like those door skins they sell at the Borg..
The fiber will hold up to push pins for years and the wood skin would be nice
looking and easy to replace whenever it needs it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:22:34 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

Pardon me for what's probably a silly question. I'm looking for a wood
that's easy to stick tacks or push-pins into (by hand), but more
substantial than cork or balsa. Any suggestions?

There are many. Pine is usually available cheap most places. Most
softwoods should work well. I use an old piece of Styrofoam to keep a
few pins in my shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Basswood for sure, we used it years ago for making fur strechers, tact
the fur unto them with push points

Posted to rec.woodworking

Roy,

Forget using wood. Get a sheet of 'Homosote' {spelling ?}. Cut to size, slap
on a couple of coats 'Sealer & Primer' of your choice. Then give it a couple
of coats of the water-based finish of your choice.

A few years ago I taught Marksmanship at a summer camp. This was their
'public' bulletin board. Exposed to all kinds of weather, just gave it a
fresh coat of paint when it got to 'holey'. Absolutely dirt cheap and I know
it lasted at least 2 years . . . probably more.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
Roy Smith wrote:
| Pardon me for what's probably a silly question. I'm looking for a
| wood that's easy to stick tacks or push-pins into (by hand), but
| more substantial than cork or balsa. Any suggestions?

SNIP
A plain old notice board for a public area. I'm just worried that cork
will get beat up quickly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ron Magen wrote:

Forget using wood. Get a sheet of 'Homosote' {spelling ?}.

Paper based and also used for model railroad layouts.

I also had a board hanging on the wall of my home office for years.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote in news:RuLni.10008$zA4.5718
@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

*snip*

I also had a board hanging on the wall of my home office for years.

Lew

I've threatened to do that a couple times! My mother complains about my
use of a table top as an um, table top. (Beautiful as it may be.) We've
got more of that particular wood, next time she complains I'll probably
oil it and put some up on the wall.

:-)

Puckdropper

Split pins Homer2911 UK diy 21 April 16th 06 11:10 AM
acrow pins. [email protected] UK diy 8 November 29th 05 11:00 PM
Back Hoe pins tm_wilhelm Metalworking 2 February 23rd 05 07:10 PM
Where to get small push-push panel latches? GTO69RA4 Metalworking 8 December 14th 04 02:26 AM
CD pick up pins Carlos Soria Electronics Repair 4 October 8th 04 01:12 PM