Posted to rec.woodworking
tim tim is offline

Default Attached room with deck on top?

What is the best surface for the "roof/deck" part of a project like this?

I am building a 12' x 12' room on the back of my house, and want to add
a deck on top. What surface is best for the roof to avoid wear and leaks
into the room below? Tile?

Thanks,
Tim
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tim" wrote in message
. net...
What is the best surface for the "roof/deck" part of a project like this?

I am building a 12' x 12' room on the back of my house, and want to add a
deck on top. What surface is best for the roof to avoid wear and leaks
into the room below? Tile?

Thanks,
Tim

I would build a plywood deck with a slight slope so water will drain, the
have a pro roofer cover it with a rubber membrane. Run the rubber up the
walls a foot too. Build your deck in sections small enough that you can lift
them off the deck, think large wooden floor tiles! The railing can be built
into the framing and the rubber membrane can be fit around the posts.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Jul 11, 5:02 pm, "Greg O" wrote:
"tim" wrote in message

. net...

What is the best surface for the "roof/deck" part of a project like this?

I am building a 12' x 12' room on the back of my house, and want to add a
deck on top. What surface is best for the roof to avoid wear and leaks
into the room below? Tile?

Thanks,
Tim

I would build a plywood deck with a slight slope so water will drain, the
have a pro roofer cover it with a rubber membrane. Run the rubber up the
walls a foot too. Build your deck in sections small enough that you can lift
them off the deck, think large wooden floor tiles! The railing can be built
into the framing and the rubber membrane can be fit around the posts.
Greg

If the railings can be built into the framing, and extending up above
the roof surface, what about floating the entire deck above the roof
surface? I wonder what the local code requires to span 12 feet? Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 12, 3:30 am, tom wrote:
On Jul 11, 5:02 pm, "Greg O" wrote:

"tim" wrote in message

.net...

[...]

Tim,
for a 'different approach have a look at the 'Garden Roof
Constructions' at www.damp-solutions.com They can be installed by any
handyman. (Built a garden roof on an old leaking flat factory roof
-200sq.mt on my own in three days! It will last for some 50 years or
more and whats more if you mow it you have your own putting green.
Happy building,
Kind regards
Joe