Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Water tight deck over a room

I have a 10'x12' deck and want to enclose the lower area for a storage room.
For this to work I need to have the deck surface water tight.
I would replace the old deck board with new.
The only decking I have found that's water tight is aluminum Lockdry (
http://www.lockdry.com/contact.htm ) and it is very expensive.

I'm thinking of using composite decking and cutting a 1/2" spline pocket in
the edge of each board.
Then installing it using pure silicone in each pocket with a 1/4" x 1 1/4"
spline between each board.
Leaving 1/4" of the spline showing between each board.

I would use that galvanized angle iron with elongated holes along each joist
to screw the boards down from underneath.
Placing the screws w/washer in the middle of the elongated hole would allow
the entire deck to expand and contract with the weather.

Any comments or ideas.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom H" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Below the decking use corrugated deck roof material to catch the water and
channel it away. Basically build a roof under your decking.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Here's a few more links. I was going to do the same as you
but haven't managed to get around to it yet.

http://www.dekdrain.com/products.asp
http://www.dry-b-lo.com/
http://www.dryspace.cc/
http://www.backyardamerica.com/smartroof.htm
http://www.timbertech.com/products/dryspace.aspx

Art

"Tom H" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Tom H wrote:
[...]

4 sheets of CDX ply, 2 squares of shingles or roll roofing, some
framing lumber and hardware, and you could build a conventional roof
under the existing deck. If you have the clearance I would recommend
this route. If you try your experiment, by all means let us know how
it turns out...
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland