Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 2 horse or 3/4 horse

A few days ago someone asked about lathes. A link was posted referring to Griz G0462. Then went on to say it's not 2 HP but more like 3/4 HP. Is the 2 HP listed on Griz site just an exaggeration? I've been thinking about getting that lathe for a while now.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Rick Samuel wrote:
A few days ago someone asked about lathes. A link was posted
referring to Griz G0462. Then went on to say it's not 2 HP but more
like 3/4 HP. Is the 2 HP listed on Griz site just an exaggeration?
I've been thinking about getting that lathe for a while now.

Since nobody has jumped on here, I'll make a comment -- I have never had
a Griz (got everything I really wanted/needed long before there _was_
such a thing), but have looked extensively at the catalogs and haven't
ever heard a really bad thing about anything of theirs since the
earliest days. So, afaict they're ratings are reasonably accurate and
their support/technical sales is rated as good. I'd suggest looking at
the amps drawn if provided as a good corroboration and if not and still
concerned, they have an 800 number -- call 'em and ask.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message ...
A few days ago someone asked about lathes. A link was posted referring to Griz G0462. Then went on to say it's not 2 HP but more like 3/4 HP. Is the 2 HP listed on Griz site just an exaggeration? I've been thinking about getting that lathe for a while now.

It is 9.5a/240v, which is approximately 2hp. They often lie about HP, but "usually" tell the truth about amperage since that is so easily checked
So, unless the poster has a really good reason for his opinion, I would say it is 2hp.

(I did have a Penn State DC that claimed 16a, but actually measured 9a. Everything else I have checked has been pretty accurate)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Had to, it didn't do the job at all.
Single bag; worked poorly with a clean bag, and then did almost nothing when
it got a bit full.

"TH" wrote in message
ink.net...
Did you get a new collector?
"Toller" wrote in message

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
A few days ago someone asked about lathes. A link was posted referring to
Griz G0462. Then went on to say it's not 2 HP but more like 3/4 HP. Is
the 2 HP listed on Griz site just an exaggeration? I've been thinking
about getting that lathe for a while now.

It is 9.5a/240v, which is approximately 2hp. They often lie about HP, but
"usually" tell the truth about amperage since that is so easily checked
So, unless the poster has a really good reason for his opinion, I would
say it is 2hp.

(I did have a Penn State DC that claimed 16a, but actually measured 9a.
Everything else I have checked has been pretty accurate)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Like every one else has said, based on the amperage, it sounds like a
real 2HP motor. Reference http://users.goldengate.net/~kbrady/motors.pdf

Quick rule for estimating the real HP of single phase induction motors -
the fixed speed motors used in table saws, jointers, lathes, drill
presses, etc. At 120 V, it's about 10 amps per HP - at 240 V it's about
5 amps per HP. Note: any spec that says "peak" or "max" or "developed"
HP is a lie.
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email

Rick Samuel wrote:
A few days ago someone asked about lathes. A link was posted referring
to Griz G0462. Then went on to say it's not 2 HP but more like 3/4 HP.
Is the 2 HP listed on Griz site just an exaggeration? I've been
thinking about getting that lathe for a while now.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

"Toller" wrote in message

They often lie about HP, but "usually" tell the truth about amperage

Being federal law might have a little to do with that.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

CW wrote:
"Toller" wrote in message

They often lie about HP, but "usually" tell the truth about amperage

Being federal law might have a little to do with that.

OK, I'll bite... Which law is this of which you speak?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Rick Samuel"
wrote:

Say, Rick, wouldja mind turning the HTML off in your newsreader? This is what
your posts like in newsreaders that aren't HTML-awa (scroll all the way
thru)

------=_NextPart_000_00CB_01C7C2C4.D742DB50

Thanks for the input, and the relationship between amps, volts and HP
"JeffB" wrote in message =
.. .
Like every one else has said, based on the amperage, it sounds like a=20
real 2HP motor. Reference =
http://users.goldengate.net/~kbrady/motors.pdf

Quick rule for estimating the real HP of single phase induction motors =
-=20
the fixed speed motors used in table saws, jointers, lathes, drill=20
presses, etc. At 120 V, it's about 10 amps per HP - at 240 V it's =
about=20

Rick Samuel wrote:
A few days ago someone asked about lathes. A link was posted =

referring=20
to Griz G0462. Then went on to say it's not 2 HP but more like 3/4 =

HP. =20
Is the 2 HP listed on Griz site just an exaggeration? I've been=20
thinking about getting that lathe for a while now.

------=_NextPart_000_00CB_01C7C2C4.D742DB50

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
HTMLHEAD
META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1"
META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16481" name=3DGENERATOR
STYLE/STYLE
/HEAD
BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff
DIVFONT face=3D"Courier New" size=3D2Thanks for the input, and=20
the relationship between amps, volts and HP/FONT/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE=20
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"
DIV"JeffB" <A=20
=
"jeffsd@ no.spam.san.rr.com/A&g=
t;=20
wrote in message A=20
=
href=3D"news:4692fd66$0$24705$4c368faf@roadrunner .com"news:4692fd66$0$24=
/A.../DIVLike=20
every one else has said, based on the amperage, it sounds like a =
BRreal 2HP=20
motor. Reference A=20
=
href=3D"http://users.goldengate.net/~kbrady/motors.pdf"http://users.gold=
engate.net/~kbrady/motors.pdf/ABRBRQuick=20
rule for estimating the real HP of single phase induction motors - =
BRthe=20
fixed speed motors used in table saws, jointers, lathes, drill =
BRpresses,=20
etc. At 120 V, it's about 10 amps per HP - at 240 V it's about BR5 =
amps per=20
HP. Note: any spec that says "peak" or "max" or "developed" BRHP is =
a=20
lie.BR--BRJeffBBRremove no.spam. to emailBRBRRick Samuel=20
wrote:BR>  A few days ago someone asked about lathes.  =
A link=20
was posted referring BR> to Griz G0462.  Then went on to say =
it's=20
not 2 HP but more like 3/4 HP.  BR> Is the 2 HP listed on =
Griz site=20
just an exaggeration?  I've been BR> thinking about getting =
that=20
lathe for a while now./BLOCKQUOTE/BODY/HTML

------=_NextPart_000_00CB_01C7C2C4.D742DB50--

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
TH TH is offline

JDS Cyclone?

"Toller" wrote in message
Had to, it didn't do the job at all.
Single bag; worked poorly with a clean bag, and then did almost nothing
when it got a bit full.

"TH" wrote in message
ink.net...
Did you get a new collector?
"Toller" wrote in message

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
A few days ago someone asked about lathes. A link was posted referring
to Griz G0462. Then went on to say it's not 2 HP but more like 3/4 HP.
Is the 2 HP listed on Griz site just an exaggeration? I've been thinking
about getting that lathe for a while now.

It is 9.5a/240v, which is approximately 2hp. They often lie about HP,
but "usually" tell the truth about amperage since that is so easily
checked
So, unless the poster has a really good reason for his opinion, I would
say it is 2hp.

(I did have a Penn State DC that claimed 16a, but actually measured 9a.
Everything else I have checked has been pretty accurate)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Rick Samuel wrote:
A few days ago someone asked about lathes. A link was posted
referring to Griz G0462. Then went on to say it's not 2 HP but more
like 3/4 HP. Is the 2 HP listed on Griz site just an exaggeration?
I've been thinking about getting that lathe for a while now.

Since nobody has jumped on here, I'll make a comment -- I have never had a
Griz (got everything I really wanted/needed long before there _was_ such a
thing), but have looked extensively at the catalogs and haven't ever heard
a really bad thing about anything of theirs since the earliest days. So,
afaict they're ratings are reasonably accurate and their support/technical
sales is rated as good. I'd suggest looking at the amps drawn if provided
as a good corroboration and if not and still concerned, they have an 800
number -- call 'em and ask.

--

I looked at their telescoping gages and they are scrap metal. I would buy
most of their other machinist tools. I suspect that most of their

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

The motor must have a U.L. listing. They are resposponsible for ensuring
that the manufacturers rating is correct.

"dpb" wrote in message ...
CW wrote:
"Toller" wrote in message

They often lie about HP, but "usually" tell the truth about amperage

Being federal law might have a little to do with that.

OK, I'll bite... Which law is this of which you speak?

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:
The motor must have a U.L. listing. They are resposponsible for ensuring
that the manufacturers rating is correct.

Underwriters Laboratory is a private company, not an agency of the
government. Submission of a product to U.L. is -entirely- voluntary. The
penalty for not doing so is the lack of a U.L. Seal of Approval and
this may backfire on you in a product liability lawsuit.

"You pays your money and you takes your chances."

I didn't submit my lawn chairs to U.L. nor have I submitted my turned pens.

I think, if you are looking for truth in advertising / labeling, you'll
want to look to the Department of Commerce. Possibly under some law
there must be a declaration of the electrical characteristics of the
motor but submission to U.L. is, was, and likely always will be, voluntary.

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000756-1, 07/13/2007
Tested on: 7/14/2007 1:30:28 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking
hex hex is offline

On Jul 10, 7:35 am, "Rick Samuel" wrote:
Thanks for the input, and the relationship between amps, volts and HP
"JeffB" wrote in om...

Rick Samuel wrote:
A few days ago someone asked about lathes. A link was posted referring
to Griz G0462. Then went on to say it's not 2 HP but more like 3/4 HP.
Is the 2 HP listed on Griz site just an exaggeration? I've been
thinking about getting that lathe for a while now.

The other thing to do is actually read the nameplate on the induction
motor. For example the old "3HP" crapsman saws said 1.5 HP on the
motor name plate. Of course what you get out of the motor may not be
what the nameplate says. But it's more likely the name plate data
was specified by manufacturing/engineering rather than marketing so
you'll likely be closer.

hex
-30-

ROCKING HORSE J T Woodworking 3 April 24th 07 01:39 AM
Horse power, horse hockey boorite Woodworking 15 September 22nd 06 03:41 PM
horsepower-- big 1/2 horse= 2hp? Bernard Arnest Metalworking 14 April 18th 06 03:38 AM
Driftwood horse Joe Barta Woodworking 0 January 9th 06 04:57 PM
My New Shaving Horse Lawrence L'Hote Woodworking 7 April 29th 05 07:05 PM