Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Newbie Workbench Questions

Hi all,

I'm a new woodworking enthusiast (yet to call myself a real
woodworker, though I have built a couple things), and now that my dad
has given me many of my great grandfather's hand tools (he was a
carpenter), I am interested in going "unplugged" as much as possible.
I'm planning a workbench, and have read a lot on the web. Here are my
questions:

1. I want the bench to be easily broken-down, so I'm looking to go
mostly glue-free, with the exception of the table top and the legs.
Are pinned or tusk mortise-and-tenon joints sufficient to render the
bench solid and stable? And would single 2x4s be good enough as bottom
rails, or would I need to double them up?
2. To attach the table top to the legs, I've been considering an idea
which I've yet to read about (which violates a rule I read about not
messing with traditional, tried-and-true plans). My idea is to tenon
the entire leg into the table top (which would be 2x4's on end). I
figure I could create the mortises before glue-up, going about 2
inches deep. That would still leave an inch of table above the leg. If
I can make clean and tight mortise-and-tenons, and drop the legs up
into them, would the table still wobble without rails up top? Or
should I make the mortises smaller and cut real tenons into the tops
of the legs?
3. Is attaching a vise a pain if the depth (height?) of the vise is
different from the thickness of the table top?

All for now. Thanks for any tips you might have!