Posted to rec.woodworking
BillinDetroit BillinDetroit is offline

Default Newbie Workbench Questions

Eric wrote:

2. To attach the table top to the legs, I've been considering an idea
which I've yet to read about (which violates a rule I read about not
messing with traditional, tried-and-true plans). My idea is to tenon
the entire leg into the table top (which would be 2x4's on end). I
figure I could create the mortises before glue-up, going about 2
inches deep. That would still leave an inch of table above the leg. If
I can make clean and tight mortise-and-tenons, and drop the legs up
into them, would the table still wobble without rails up top? Or
should I make the mortises smaller and cut real tenons into the tops
of the legs?

Why not bolt shoulders to the 2x4s? Okay ... you don't have to use bolts
.... but they are probably easier than through tenons with wedges.

In fact, you could use 2x4 runners alongside the 2x4 legs as the table
support and pin the top to the runners.

Do make sure that your legs are either secured at three or more points
(top, bottom and some other reasonable distance(s)) or cross-braced to
prevent racking.

But I've got to agree with the earlier poster who urged you to simply
make a bench that works to start with and build from there. FWW has a
pretty nice set of drawings (no dimensions given -- you're on your own)
for one based on pipe clamps for work-holding that I have on my list of
"neat things I'd like to do if I could find the time." No reason why you
couldn't make it with knock-down joints that I can see. I'm still using
my table saw top for an assembly bench and that is starting to get old.

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000754-5, 07/08/2007
Tested on: 7/8/2007 11:24:33 PM