Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch Patriarch is offline

Default Newbie Workbench Questions

Eric wrote in news:1183946791.163642.195120
@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Hi all,

I'm a new woodworking enthusiast (yet to call myself a real
woodworker, though I have built a couple things), and now that my dad
has given me many of my great grandfather's hand tools (he was a
carpenter), I am interested in going "unplugged" as much as possible.
I'm planning a workbench, snip

Get yourself to a local library that has Popular Woodworking, preferably
over the last three to five years. One of the editors, Chris Schwarz, has
been making various workbenches, or all sorts of heritages, and documenting
the hows and whys of their building and use, for all to see. He writes
well, and works mainly in handtools, except where the power offers
significant advantage. And he has a book coming out this fall on the
topic.

Also, from the same folks. Woodworking Magazine has some really nice plans,
too.

What you described with the leg trestle to top connection has been tried,
with some reported success.

Me, I did things pretty simply, with Borg construction lumber and cabinet
grade plywood. But I haven't moved it more than 10-12 feet since
construction finished. Works pretty well for me, but won't be confused for
a dining table or a journeyman's piece.

Have fun!

Patriarch