Default where to find a "centerfinder"

I am looking for a "centerfinder" as seen on NYW. All it is, is a
square piece of plastic with a slit in the middle and you hook it
over the end of youir square stock to mark the center to align for
turning. Does anyone know the correct name of this or where I can get
it? I did a search on ebay and all i found was centerfinders for metal
work. Thanks!
REMOVE "NOSPAM" FROM EMAIL ADDY WHEN RESPONDING
Unisaw A100

Mxlpixl wrote:
I am looking for a "centerfinder" as seen on NYW. All it is, is a
square piece of plastic with a slit in the middle and you hook it
over the end of youir square stock to mark the center to align for
turning. Does anyone know the correct name of this or where I can get
it? I did a search on ebay and all i found was centerfinders for metal
work. Thanks!

I'm not sure what the difference 'tween metal work and wood
work onna 'count of finding the center is finding the
center, no matter the material. I typically buy mine
(Starretts) at garage sales. Speaking of eBay, here's the
center finder head for a Starrett. It's the part on the
left. All you need is a blade and you're in bidness.

Here's one with a 24" blade.

Here's a full set up but I wouldn't expect it to sell for
this price.

Lest everyone thinks I'm a Starrett snob, this set up from
Union should make your nipples hard. I'd bid on this if I
was someone in need of a full set.

Also, look for Lufkin, the Japanese one that starts Mit...
or anything else that looks semi-qualityish.

Or, you can also make one from two pieces of wood. You
really don't even have to be too precise. When you mark out
your stock, mark all four corners. If your gage isn't dead
nuts you'll end up with a small box (1/32" - 1/16") at about
the center of your stock made up of intersecting lines.
It's damn easy to find the center of this small box. No
really, it's damn easy.

UA100, who made his first from two pieces of baltic birch
plywood and would still be using it today had he not lost
it...
David Hall

Unisaw A100 wrote in message . ..
Mxlpixl wrote:
[...]

Hey, don't tell him how to make one, we went through that just a
little bit ago and I had to read about various patents, patent
infringements, and (hopefully idle) threats about certain people never
buying anything from a certain Canadian store again.

Dave Hall
Unisaw A100

David Hall wrote:
Hey, don't tell him how to make one, we went through that just a
little bit ago and I had to read about various patents, patent
infringements, and (hopefully idle) threats about certain people never
buying anything from a certain Canadian store again.

Some people are just real afeared of anarchy.

UA100