Edwin Pawlowski

Default 22-580 Planer Dust Collection

"WoodChuck34" wrote in message
Anybody have any advice on a good way to collect the shaving without
clogging the DC. I slapped this seperator together so I don't know
how well it will work.

A better dc? Mine does not clog and I have the same planer. My dc is the
Jet 1100.

Check your hose layout to be sure you have good flow. Maybe lighter cuts?
Ed

Pat Barber

I have the earlier model(12 1/2" version) and my Delta DC kept
up very nicely. I recall there being a "bar" that needed to be
removed when the DC was connected...

Did you have a similar thing to remove ???

I don't remember the correct term but it directed the
chips in the wrong manner when the dc was hooked up.

WoodChuck34 wrote:

I just got a Delta 22-580 Planer (not a gloat) and wow (okay, maybe a
little gloat). Anyway I used it for the first time 2 nights ago and
it does produce a great finish, but also a lot of shavings. I read
all the posts here before I chose one and knew dust control with these
things (this is my first planer) is an issue, but I wasn't prepared
for the shavings.

I did get the dust hood and hooked it up to my Delta dust collector.
The first pass came out smooth, but I notice the hose (4") was
completely clogged with shavings. I emptied it but successive passes
didn't look as nice because shaving were clogged in the dust hood
where I couldn't reach them.

I built a small seperator out of a 20 gallon trash can but haven't
been able to test it yet. SWMBO yelled at me because I was running
the tools too late and didn't want the neighbors to get upset. I had
the garage door closed and besides they always come over to borrow
tools or have me cut something.

Anybody have any advice on a good way to collect the shaving without
clogging the DC. I slapped this seperator together so I don't know
how well it will work.

Chuck

CW

Yes, that's the one. The bar is removed for use with a dust collector. It is
there as a chip deflector if you aren't using one.
"Igor" wrote in message
On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 15:05:57 -0400 (EDT), (Sir Edgar)
Is the Delta the one with the bar across the opening? I think that is why
it was scratched from my list.

Rob

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 20:01:01 GMT, Pat Barber
wrote:

I have the earlier model(12 1/2" version) and my Delta DC kept
up very nicely. I recall there being a "bar" that needed to be
removed when the DC was connected...

Did you have a similar thing to remove ???

I don't remember the correct term but it directed the
chips in the wrong manner when the dc was hooked up.

That's what I have 12 1/2" model 22-560 - I have problems with the DC
too - my 2 1/2" hose connected to shop vac clogs up right away - then
it backs up inside planer - no good - so I was thinking of buying the
Delta DC - this is no better?

What is this bar - there's a bar across the top to carry it - is there
something else inside? nothing about this in the instruction manual.

Thanks

Bob

Robert

I've got an even older 22-540 Delta planer with the optional dust chute. I
bought a 1hp Delta DC and run a 20' section of 4" hose to the planer. When
I first started using the new DC, it would clog. When I removed the 4" hose
from the DC, I found an "X" brace across the inlet to the impeller.
Designed to stop something big from hitting the blades, but the longer
strands of wood collected on the brace, eventually clogging the hose. A few
quick snips with diagonal pliers and the brace was gone... and so was the
clogging issue. I've sent a load of wood through the planer since, never
once has it clogged. The DC easily keeps up with my planer and jointer now.

wrote:

I have the earlier model(12 1/2" version) and my Delta DC kept
up very nicely. I recall there being a "bar" that needed to be
removed when the DC was connected...

Did you have a similar thing to remove ???

I don't remember the correct term but it directed the
chips in the wrong manner when the dc was hooked up.

That's what I have 12 1/2" model 22-560 - I have problems with the DC
too - my 2 1/2" hose connected to shop vac clogs up right away - then
it backs up inside planer - no good - so I was thinking of buying the
Delta DC - this is no better?

What is this bar - there's a bar across the top to carry it - is there
something else inside? nothing about this in the instruction manual.

Thanks

Bob

Bri

Man, things get so confusing sometimes in here.
In the FWW Tools and Shops annual issue(Winter 02/03) they reviewed
planers and jointers and stated that the 22-580 Dust collection was
the best of all the machines tested.
I intend on getting this model soon. Was going to get the Ridgid
until I found out that they won't be made anymore by Emerson.

(WoodChuck34) wrote in message . com...
[...]

George

Even the 4" hose has problems with 12" wide chips at my house. I switched
from center connection to end connection so they don't have to bend double
to make the run up the hose. Oh yes, and my setup is based on heating
fixtures Mickey Mouse modified to fit.

"Rob" wrote in message
That's what I have 12 1/2" model 22-560 - I have problems with the DC
too - my 2 1/2" hose connected to shop vac clogs up right away - then
it backs up inside planer - no good - so I was thinking of buying the
Delta DC - this is no better?

WoodChuck34

I'm not sure what some of you are talking about but I do not see a bar
across the cutterhead that needs to be removed when using a DC. I
double checked the manual online and it doesn't mention it and it
doesn't appear to be in the part list diagram either. Maybe that was
on an older model or I'm really not reading this thing right.

I was busy this weekend and didn't get a chance to play with this
again but I'm anxious to see how it works with the separator. I'm
going to try this first because I really don't want to cut the "X" bar
protecting the impallers on the DC as some have suggested if possible.
I'll save that as the last resort.

I am still thoroughly impress with how well this thing cuts. The
boards really come out looking as if they've been finish sanded.

Chuck
Sam

I have the same planer, and I don't have any problems even through a
30ft run of ducting. However, I have seen (When you take a deep cut)
that the dust shoot cloogs because it's really narrow. And when my
dust collector gets full it doesn't have enough suction to pull it out
quick enough. (However, I have the same problem with everything else)

Other than that one annoyance it does a great job of collection all
the chips. However, Usually plane no more than at most a 1/16 at a
time, it doesn't take that long especially using the faster speed for
the early cuts.

I have it run through a separator which removes most of the big chips,
doesn't do a great job. (most likely a design flaw in my sep. and not
the fault of the planer.)