Posted to rec.woodworking
Hal Hal is offline

Default Using a router for edge jointing

Trying to put a straight edge on several long, thick boards and hoping
there is a good way of using a router and a jig that someone could
recommend.

I don't have a jointer which might be the easiest way but might go ahead
and build a router table with adjustable fence if anyone has had good
experience with jointing boards using this method.

I know some will recommend a #7 hand plane and i have been running up
and down the length of the boards with my #5 Stanley and think I'm
getting a fairly square edge on a couple of boards but don't think I
need any more exercise for a while.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hal wrote:

| Trying to put a straight edge on several long, thick boards and
| hoping there is a good way of using a router and a jig that someone
| could recommend.

Clamp a straight-edged (anything) to the board and use it as a fence
to guide the router.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hal wrote:
Trying to put a straight edge on several long, thick boards and hoping
there is a good way of using a router and a jig that someone could
recommend.

I use a 2x2x1/8x96 extruded aluminum angle from the Home Depot and a
couple of 3" C-Clamps along with a 3/4 straight bit in a fixed base
router.

Works for me.

YMMV

You could also make a jig by using a piece of 1/4 ply about 3 wide,
centered and glued onto a piece of 1/2 ply about 12 wide.

First pass will trim 12 wide piece dead nuts.

After that, place cut edge on desired cut line..

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 23, 2:57 pm, Hal wrote:
Trying to put a straight edge on several long, thick boards and hoping
there is a good way of using a router and a jig that someone could
recommend.

I don't have a jointer which might be the easiest way but might go ahead
and build a router table with adjustable fence if anyone has had good
experience with jointing boards using this method.

I know some will recommend a #7 hand plane and i have been running up
and down the length of the boards with my #5 Stanley and think I'm
getting a fairly square edge on a couple of boards but don't think I
need any more exercise for a while.

I set up my router table with a 1/64" shim on the outfeed side of the
fence which worked quite well for edge jointing short boards. Since
most router table fences are 36" or less you are going to have
difficulty with longer boards. Since I purchased my HD Jointer I
haven't used the router table much. For longer boards than my HD
Jointer can accurately joint, (4 ½' & ) I too use a long straight
edge with a 3/4 straight bit in my hand held router which always gives
me good results and is the cheapest solution.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I guess what everyone is saying is forget about the router table and
just use a straight edge with a handheld router.

Since the boards each way about 40 pounds and 2" thick I was not too
happy thinking of juggling them onto a router table even with a 36"
fence and feeding them onto an saw table as an extension

wrote:
On Jun 23, 2:57 pm, Hal wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Can be done, see link for one setup:
http://patwarner.com/routertable_jointing.html
**************************

On Jun 23, 11:57 am, Hal wrote:
Trying to put a straight edge on several long, thick boards and hoping
there is a good way of using a router and a jig that someone could
recommend.

I don't have a jointer which might be the easiest way but might go ahead
and build a router table with adjustable fence if anyone has had good
experience with jointing boards using this method.

I know some will recommend a #7 hand plane and i have been running up
and down the length of the boards with my #5 Stanley and think I'm
getting a fairly square edge on a couple of boards but don't think I
need any more exercise for a while.

Posted to rec.woodworking

nospam" "hskurnick(nospam) wrote:
I guess what everyone is saying is forget about the router table and
just use a straight edge with a handheld router.

Since the boards each way about 40 pounds and 2" thick I was not too
happy thinking of juggling them onto a router table even with a 36"
fence and feeding them onto an saw table as an extension

If the edges are not already pretty good you'd do better to make a
carrier and rip them on a saw (clamp to piece of ply overhanging a
bit, use ply to guide on fence) THEN use a clamped on straight edge
and router to cut off a whisker.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Hal wrote:
Trying to put a straight edge on several long, thick boards and hoping
there is a good way of using a router and a jig that someone could
recommend.

I don't have a jointer which might be the easiest way but might go ahead
and build a router table with adjustable fence if anyone has had good
experience with jointing boards using this method.

I know some will recommend a #7 hand plane and i have been running up
and down the length of the boards with my #5 Stanley and think I'm
getting a fairly square edge on a couple of boards but don't think I
need any more exercise for a while.

I know this is not directly answering your question, but do you
have a table saw? It's simple to make a carrier board that your workpiece
is clamped to, and use the table saw to cut the straight edge. It is
quicker, quieter, and (for me anyway) much easier than using any type
of router table fence, especially for longer boards.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry W wrote:
In article ,
Hal wrote:
[...]

Don't have a table saw either - have a Radial Arm - and don't think I
would trust ripping an eight foot board and keeping it straight and glue
ready when finished.