Woodworking (rec.woodworking) Discussion forum covering all aspects of working with wood. All levels of expertise are encouraged to particiapte.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old June 23rd 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Hal Hal is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 1
Default Using a router for edge jointing

Trying to put a straight edge on several long, thick boards and hoping
there is a good way of using a router and a jig that someone could
recommend.

I don't have a jointer which might be the easiest way but might go ahead
and build a router table with adjustable fence if anyone has had good
experience with jointing boards using this method.

I know some will recommend a #7 hand plane and i have been running up
and down the length of the boards with my #5 Stanley and think I'm
getting a fairly square edge on a couple of boards but don't think I
need any more exercise for a while.

  #2   Report Post  
Old June 23rd 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,387
Default Using a router for edge jointing

Hal wrote:

| Trying to put a straight edge on several long, thick boards and
| hoping there is a good way of using a router and a jig that someone
| could recommend.

Clamp a straight-edged (anything) to the board and use it as a fence
to guide the router.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/


  #3   Report Post  
Old June 23rd 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,047
Default Using a router for edge jointing

Hal wrote:
Trying to put a straight edge on several long, thick boards and hoping
there is a good way of using a router and a jig that someone could
recommend.


I use a 2x2x1/8x96 extruded aluminum angle from the Home Depot and a
couple of 3" C-Clamps along with a 3/4 straight bit in a fixed base
router.

Works for me.

YMMV

You could also make a jig by using a piece of 1/4 ply about 3 wide,
centered and glued onto a piece of 1/2 ply about 12 wide.

First pass will trim 12 wide piece dead nuts.

After that, place cut edge on desired cut line..


Lew
  #4   Report Post  
Old June 23rd 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 53
Default Using a router for edge jointing

On Jun 23, 2:57 pm, Hal wrote:
Trying to put a straight edge on several long, thick boards and hoping
there is a good way of using a router and a jig that someone could
recommend.

I don't have a jointer which might be the easiest way but might go ahead
and build a router table with adjustable fence if anyone has had good
experience with jointing boards using this method.

I know some will recommend a #7 hand plane and i have been running up
and down the length of the boards with my #5 Stanley and think I'm
getting a fairly square edge on a couple of boards but don't think I
need any more exercise for a while.


I set up my router table with a 1/64" shim on the outfeed side of the
fence which worked quite well for edge jointing short boards. Since
most router table fences are 36" or less you are going to have
difficulty with longer boards. Since I purchased my HD Jointer I
haven't used the router table much. For longer boards than my HD
Jointer can accurately joint, (4 ' & ) I too use a long straight
edge with a 3/4 straight bit in my hand held router which always gives
me good results and is the cheapest solution.

  #5   Report Post  
Old June 23rd 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 2
Default Using a router for edge jointing

I guess what everyone is saying is forget about the router table and
just use a straight edge with a handheld router.

Since the boards each way about 40 pounds and 2" thick I was not too
happy thinking of juggling them onto a router table even with a 36"
fence and feeding them onto an saw table as an extension

wrote:
On Jun 23, 2:57 pm, Hal wrote:
Trying to put a straight edge on several long, thick boards and hoping
there is a good way of using a router and a jig that someone could
recommend.

I don't have a jointer which might be the easiest way but might go ahead
and build a router table with adjustable fence if anyone has had good
experience with jointing boards using this method.

I know some will recommend a #7 hand plane and i have been running up
and down the length of the boards with my #5 Stanley and think I'm
getting a fairly square edge on a couple of boards but don't think I
need any more exercise for a while.


I set up my router table with a 1/64" shim on the outfeed side of the
fence which worked quite well for edge jointing short boards. Since
most router table fences are 36" or less you are going to have
difficulty with longer boards. Since I purchased my HD Jointer I
haven't used the router table much. For longer boards than my HD
Jointer can accurately joint, (4 ' & ) I too use a long straight
edge with a 3/4 straight bit in my hand held router which always gives
me good results and is the cheapest solution.



  #6   Report Post  
Old June 24th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 111
Default Using a router for edge jointing

Can be done, see link for one setup:
http://patwarner.com/routertable_jointing.html
**************************




On Jun 23, 11:57 am, Hal wrote:
Trying to put a straight edge on several long, thick boards and hoping
there is a good way of using a router and a jig that someone could
recommend.

I don't have a jointer which might be the easiest way but might go ahead
and build a router table with adjustable fence if anyone has had good
experience with jointing boards using this method.

I know some will recommend a #7 hand plane and i have been running up
and down the length of the boards with my #5 Stanley and think I'm
getting a fairly square edge on a couple of boards but don't think I
need any more exercise for a while.



  #7   Report Post  
Old June 25th 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 833
Default Using a router for edge jointing

nospam" "hskurnick(nospam) wrote:
I guess what everyone is saying is forget about the router table and
just use a straight edge with a handheld router.

Since the boards each way about 40 pounds and 2" thick I was not too
happy thinking of juggling them onto a router table even with a 36"
fence and feeding them onto an saw table as an extension


If the edges are not already pretty good you'd do better to make a
carrier and rip them on a saw (clamp to piece of ply overhanging a
bit, use ply to guide on fence) THEN use a clamped on straight edge
and router to cut off a whisker.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico



  #8   Report Post  
Old June 25th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,014
Default Using a router for edge jointing

In article ,
Hal wrote:
Trying to put a straight edge on several long, thick boards and hoping
there is a good way of using a router and a jig that someone could
recommend.

I don't have a jointer which might be the easiest way but might go ahead
and build a router table with adjustable fence if anyone has had good
experience with jointing boards using this method.

I know some will recommend a #7 hand plane and i have been running up
and down the length of the boards with my #5 Stanley and think I'm
getting a fairly square edge on a couple of boards but don't think I
need any more exercise for a while.


I know this is not directly answering your question, but do you
have a table saw? It's simple to make a carrier board that your workpiece
is clamped to, and use the table saw to cut the straight edge. It is
quicker, quieter, and (for me anyway) much easier than using any type
of router table fence, especially for longer boards.


--
Better to be stuck up in a tree than tied to one.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org
  #9   Report Post  
Old June 25th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 2
Default Using a router for edge jointing

Larry W wrote:
In article ,
Hal wrote:
Trying to put a straight edge on several long, thick boards and hoping
there is a good way of using a router and a jig that someone could
recommend.

I don't have a jointer which might be the easiest way but might go ahead
and build a router table with adjustable fence if anyone has had good
experience with jointing boards using this method.

I know some will recommend a #7 hand plane and i have been running up
and down the length of the boards with my #5 Stanley and think I'm
getting a fairly square edge on a couple of boards but don't think I
need any more exercise for a while.


I know this is not directly answering your question, but do you
have a table saw? It's simple to make a carrier board that your workpiece
is clamped to, and use the table saw to cut the straight edge. It is
quicker, quieter, and (for me anyway) much easier than using any type
of router table fence, especially for longer boards.


Don't have a table saw either - have a Radial Arm - and don't think I
would trust ripping an eight foot board and keeping it straight and glue
ready when finished.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BIG edge jointing problem noonenparticular Woodworking 28 January 26th 06 03:07 PM
BIG edge jointing ==Solved== noonenparticular Woodworking 1 January 26th 06 07:18 AM
proper way to deal with a convex edge when jointing? arw01 Woodworking 7 December 4th 05 04:06 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017