Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] rmeyer1@gmail.com is offline

Default Using a router for edge jointing

On Jun 23, 2:57 pm, Hal wrote:
Trying to put a straight edge on several long, thick boards and hoping
there is a good way of using a router and a jig that someone could
recommend.

I don't have a jointer which might be the easiest way but might go ahead
and build a router table with adjustable fence if anyone has had good
experience with jointing boards using this method.

I know some will recommend a #7 hand plane and i have been running up
and down the length of the boards with my #5 Stanley and think I'm
getting a fairly square edge on a couple of boards but don't think I
need any more exercise for a while.

I set up my router table with a 1/64" shim on the outfeed side of the
fence which worked quite well for edge jointing short boards. Since
most router table fences are 36" or less you are going to have
difficulty with longer boards. Since I purchased my HD Jointer I
haven't used the router table much. For longer boards than my HD
Jointer can accurately joint, (4 ½' & ) I too use a long straight
edge with a 3/4 straight bit in my hand held router which always gives
me good results and is the cheapest solution.