Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Welding Plexiglass

It was chloroform, not ether that we welded Plexiglass with.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 22, 9:32 pm, spaco wrote:
It was chloroform, not ether that we welded Plexiglass with.

When I worked in an architectural model shop, we used acetone.
Probably a lot easier to get than either ether or chloroform.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The solvent is MEK which you can get at Home Depot or Lowes or any other
good hardware store.

"spaco" wrote in message
It was chloroform, not ether that we welded Plexiglass with.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

Posted to rec.woodworking

spaco wrote:
It was chloroform, not ether that we welded Plexiglass with.

We did it with methyl ethyl ketone (MEK).

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick Samuel" wrote

MEK is dangerous, VENTILATION and the MSDS are needed.

Most everything is dangerous. Having the MSDS sheet does not make it less
so.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Rick Samuel" wrote

MEK is dangerous, VENTILATION and the MSDS are needed.

Most everything is dangerous. Having the MSDS sheet does not make it less
so.

Exactly, an MSDS functions largely to indemnify the
manufacturer/supplier/employer. In science you get problems with jumping
through ridiculous hoops when handling miniscule quantities of things
once in a blue moon yet you have to work as though you are pouring 44
gallon drums of it around 24/7. Of course half the problem is these
things often get enforced by administrators who do not have the
requisite understanding.

/rant over. ;-)

Peter
www.the-brights.net
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message

MEK is dangerous,

So's my Harley. Life's that way sometimes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 23, 10:17 am, (Peter Ashby) wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Most everything is dangerous. Having the MSDS sheet does not make it less
so.

Exactly, an MSDS functions largely to indemnify the
manufacturer/supplier/employer.

Have you ever read the disclaimers at the end of an MSDS? It
basically says, we believe this information to be true, but we are in
no way responsible for anyone relying on the information contained
herein. Comforting, no?

Maybe I'll revise my contract...
Price not to exceed $XXXXX, unless I feel like increasing the amount
without providing an explanation.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Most everything is dangerous. Having the MSDS sheet does not make it
less so.

Exactly, an MSDS functions largely to indemnify the
manufacturer/supplier/employer.

Have you ever read the disclaimers at the end of an MSDS? It
basically says, we believe this information to be true, but we are in
no way responsible for anyone relying on the information contained
herein. Comforting, no?

Ah that's just legal futureproofing. Means their legal eagle's family
got to eat. Awww.

Peter
www.the-brights.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 23, 11:06 am, "CW" wrote:
"Rick Samuel" wrote in message

MEK is dangerous,

So's my Harley. Life's that way sometimes.

Now I know why your replies are always so short, CW... you're out of
breath from pushing that Harley!

it's joke, dammit

Posted to rec.woodworking

spaco wrote:
It was chloroform, not ether that we welded Plexiglass with.

We did it with methyl ethyl ketone (MEK).

Aren't all those things kinda dangerous around a welding torch?

B.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Don't ether and chloroform both put you to sleep?

--
Watch for the bounce.
If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it.
"spaco" wrote in message
It was chloroform, not ether that we welded Plexiglass with.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

Posted to rec.woodworking

So are brake cleaner, paint thinner and remover. read the directions on the
can and follow them, come on if you don't have a respirator you shouldn't be
in any kind of a shop.

--
Watch for the bounce.
If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it.
If ya see it, it didn't go off.
Old Air Force Munitions Saying
"CW" wrote in message
.net...

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message

MEK is dangerous,

So's my Harley. Life's that way sometimes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 13:36:16 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Most everything is dangerous. Having the MSDS sheet does not make it less
so.

I duct tape my MSDS sheets over my face. The sheet protects my eyes
and my lungs. One time, I fell down the stairs, 'cause the sheet was
over my eyes.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 15:06:23 GMT, "CW" wrote:

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message

MEK is dangerous,

So's my Harley.

And my airplane...

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 15:06:23 GMT, "CW" wrote:

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message

MEK is dangerous,

So's my Harley.

And my airplane...

Yeah, I can only crash in two directions. You can do it in three.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Rick Samuel" wrote

MEK is dangerous, VENTILATION and the MSDS are needed.

Most everything is dangerous. Having the MSDS sheet does not make it less
so.

Isn't that the truth? We had good ventilation but no MSDS sheet. Should I go
break those welds apart now because I did it wrong?

OTOH, MEK sure worked well.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

asmurff wrote:
Don't ether and chloroform both put you to sleep?

It was chloroform, not ether that we welded Plexiglass with.

Hell, yes. That stuff is dangerous!

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Rick Samuel" wrote

MEK is dangerous, VENTILATION and the MSDS are needed.

Most everything is dangerous. Having the MSDS sheet does not make it less
so.

Isn't that the truth? We had good ventilation but no MSDS sheet. Should I go
break those welds apart now because I did it wrong?

Only if OSHA should learn of your misdeed g

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 23:57:53 GMT, B A R R Y

I duct tape my MSDS sheets over my face. The sheet protects my eyes
and my lungs. One time, I fell down the stairs, 'cause the sheet was
over my eyes.

I ordered two endmills and both come with msds sheets. hard to eat or
breathe carbide endmills (G)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Most everything is dangerous. Having the MSDS sheet does not make it

less
so.

I duct tape my MSDS sheets over my face. The sheet protects my eyes
and my lungs. One time, I fell down the stairs, 'cause the sheet was
over my eyes.

No damn wonder, cher ... you've been applying them to the wrong end!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:30:49 -0700, Steve knight
wrote:

I ordered two endmills and both come with msds sheets. hard to eat or
breathe carbide endmills (G)

Look up W0600! G

http://www.chem.tamu.edu/class/majors/msdsfiles/msdswater.htm

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Steve knight wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 23:57:53 GMT, B A R R Y

I duct tape my MSDS sheets over my face. The sheet protects my eyes
and my lungs. One time, I fell down the stairs, 'cause the sheet was
over my eyes.

I ordered two endmills and both come with msds sheets. hard to eat or
breathe carbide endmills (G)

Yeah, at work, I order a lot of hardware and expendable supplies from MSC.
about a year ago they started sending MSDS with drill bits of all things.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 24, 11:41 am, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
asmurff wrote:
Don't ether and chloroform both put you to sleep?
It was chloroform, not ether that we welded Plexiglass with.

Hell, yes. That stuff is dangerous!

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

What ? Sleep ? :P

Plexiglass [email protected] Woodworking 13 April 1st 07 02:54 PM
How 2 plexiglass window kocatchall Home Repair 1 October 10th 06 09:31 PM
Cutting plexiglass blueman Home Repair 32 September 4th 06 07:47 PM
Joining Plexiglass Stubby Home Repair 1 August 28th 06 02:44 AM
Plexiglass Cutting Steve B Home Repair 13 April 14th 06 04:30 AM