Posted to rec.woodworking

Default help....rubber cement damaged my table finish

While putting together invitations on my mothers Breuner's table (deep
cherry, solid wood, laquer finish) we seemed to have damaged the shiny
laquer as it now appears to be spider web fractured-like and can be
peeled off in certain sections. We put down 2 cotton table cloths and
did not spill any standard rubber cement however this damage is only
seen on the side to which the gluing took place. The finish is smooth
but on the damaged parts, it is course and can be chipped away if you
scratch with your finger nail. My mothers boyfriend will surely kill
me as the table cost $4000 and we are trying to find a way to fix it.
When you wet the table with water and towel the damaged spots go away,
but when it dries you can notice them again. Any advice?
THANK YOU for whoever has any ideas...
CMT909

Posted to rec.woodworking

cmt909 wrote:

While putting together invitations on my mothers Breuner's table (deep
cherry, solid wood, laquer finish) we seemed to have damaged the shiny
laquer as it now appears to be spider web fractured-like and can be
peeled off in certain sections. We put down 2 cotton table cloths and
did not spill any standard rubber cement however this damage is only
seen on the side to which the gluing took place. The finish is smooth
but on the damaged parts, it is course and can be chipped away if you
scratch with your finger nail. My mothers boyfriend will surely kill
me as the table cost $4000 and we are trying to find a way to fix it.
When you wet the table with water and towel the damaged spots go away,
but when it dries you can notice them again. Any advice?
THANK YOU for whoever has any ideas...
CMT909

One fairly safe bet .. .. .. call the furniture company that sold the
piece .. .. .. they usually have an expert available who fixes blemishes
up to & including full-surface refinishing. While most accomplished
woodworkers may very well be capable of repair/restoration, I believe
this one is best left to a pro .. .. ..
Posted to rec.woodworking

"cmt909" wrote in message
oups.com...
While putting together invitations on my mothers Breuner's table (deep
cherry, solid wood, laquer finish) we seemed to have damaged the shiny
laquer as it now appears to be spider web fractured-like and can be
peeled off in certain sections. We put down 2 cotton table cloths and
did not spill any standard rubber cement however this damage is only
seen on the side to which the gluing took place. The finish is smooth
but on the damaged parts, it is course and can be chipped away if you
scratch with your finger nail. My mothers boyfriend will surely kill
me as the table cost $4000 and we are trying to find a way to fix it.
When you wet the table with water and towel the damaged spots go away,
but when it dries you can notice them again. Any advice?
THANK YOU for whoever has any ideas...
CMT909

Fumes from the rubber cement include naphtha and acetone, if it's like the
stuff in our can. time to bite the bullet and get it refinished.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 21:30:55 -0700, cmt909 wrote:

While putting together invitations on my mothers Breuner's table (deep
cherry, solid wood, laquer finish) we seemed to have damaged the shiny
laquer as it now appears to be spider web fractured-like and can be
peeled off in certain sections. We put down 2 cotton table cloths and
did not spill any standard rubber cement however this damage is only
seen on the side to which the gluing took place. The finish is smooth
but on the damaged parts, it is course and can be chipped away if you
scratch with your finger nail. My mothers boyfriend will surely kill
me as the table cost $4000 and we are trying to find a way to fix it.
When you wet the table with water and towel the damaged spots go away,
but when it dries you can notice them again. Any advice?
THANK YOU for whoever has any ideas...
CMT909

Neither cotton nor any other porous material is a *protective*
material where liquids are involved. Only non-porous, non-absorbing
materials such as plastic or metal will work.

I'm still working on convincing my wife of this each time she places a
tissue on a finished wood surface to "protect" it from nail polish
and/or remover :-(

There's been less damage since I retired - because I'm home all day...

John