Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What is the HP for this motor?

Hi,

I have an old craftsman motor lying around. I checked the spec label
and it does not list the HP but it list other info.

Can someone give me an idea of the HP for this motor?

The info for the motor is:

V 120
A 7.9
1725 RPM
HP w0486

Thanks

Alex

Posted to rec.woodworking

"alex" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have an old craftsman motor lying around. I checked the spec label
and it does not list the HP but it list other info.

Can someone give me an idea of the HP for this motor?

The info for the motor is:

V 120
A 7.9
1725 RPM
HP w0486

Thanks

Alex

Comparing it to the specs of other motors, I'd have to put this motor at
roughly 1/2 HP.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking

"todd" wrote in message
. ..
"alex" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have an old craftsman motor lying around. I checked the spec label
and it does not list the HP but it list other info.

Can someone give me an idea of the HP for this motor?

The info for the motor is:

V 120
A 7.9
1725 RPM
HP w0486

Thanks

Alex

Comparing it to the specs of other motors, I'd have to put this motor at
roughly 1/2 HP.

todd

======= To convert from watts to horsepower, multiply by 0.00134. The HP
w0486 or: .65 hp.

Leif

Posted to rec.woodworking

"alex" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have an old craftsman motor lying around. I checked the spec label
and it does not list the HP but it list other info.

Can someone give me an idea of the HP for this motor?

The info for the motor is:

V 120
A 7.9
1725 RPM
HP w0486

Efficiencies can vary, but is roughly 11a/hp. Old ones tend to be less
efficient; so somewhat over 1/2hp.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 19:33:27 -0700, alex wrote:

Hi,

I have an old craftsman motor lying around. I checked the spec label
and it does not list the HP but it list other info.

Can someone give me an idea of the HP for this motor?

The info for the motor is:

V 120
A 7.9
1725 RPM
HP w0486

Thanks

Alex

And yet another way of estimating the motor power:

Rated Input power is 120v * 7.9a = 940 watts (an estimation since this
is an AC inductive load)

Assume 50% efficiency ( to account for mechanical and electrical
inefficiencies, power factor, etc.) = 940 * .50 = 470 output watts.
(pretty good match for the 'w0486' HP entry assuming the 486 is the
motor power stated in watts)

HP (est) = 470/746 = .63

So we are in the 1/2 to 3/4 HP range.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Veatch wrote in message
[...]

Or, in Craftsman terms, Maximum developed horsepower is 2.

Posted to rec.woodworking

respectfully snipped

Or, in Craftsman terms, Maximum developed horsepower is 2.

LOL!!! At least!

woodstuff

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks a lot everyone.

Alex

On Jun 22, 7:29 am, "woodstuff" wrote:
respectfully snipped

Or, in Craftsman terms, Maximum developed horsepower is 2.

LOL!!! At least!

woodstuff

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leif Thorvaldson wrote:
"todd" wrote in message
. ..
"alex" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have an old craftsman motor lying around. I checked the spec label
and it does not list the HP but it list other info.

Can someone give me an idea of the HP for this motor?

The info for the motor is:

V 120
A 7.9
1725 RPM
HP w0486

Thanks

Alex

Comparing it to the specs of other motors, I'd have to put this
motor at roughly 1/2 HP.

todd

======= To convert from watts to horsepower, multiply by 0.00134. The HP
w0486 or: .65 hp.

Leif

Which, after accounting for losses, is 1/2 HP.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pop`" wrote in message

======= To convert from watts to horsepower, multiply by 0.00134. The HP
w0486 or: .65 hp.

Leif

Which, after accounting for losses, is 1/2 HP.

Which, after accounting for the "Craftsman label" , is about 1/4 HP. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Don't you mean 6???

Bob the Tomato

respectfully snipped