Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Better way to approach this--floor transitions?

Hiya,
I'm getting ready to make some transition strips that will bridge the gap
between hardwood flooring and saltillo tile. The two are about 1/4"
difference in height. I have a gap between the two of around 5/8". What
I had planned to do was to fashion a transition out of hard maple that will
bridge over the gap and sit on the wood floor/tile. As well, I was going
to leave stock in place to fit into the space between the two floor
treatments. I don't have a shaper or moulder. So cut to length, rip to
width then cut the "top" of the transition (face) at an angle on my table
saw creating a "crown". Then run it through my router table to create the
"rabbits" (different heights to allow for the difference in floor heights)
leaving a strip in the center to fit into the gap between the floors. I'd
have to use some blocking under the piece when doing the second rabbit for
support as I run it through the router. Then, assuming all that works, hit
it with a belt sander etc...to round over the crown. Does this sound
viable or am I just missing something totally obvious? Thanks!
Cheers,
cc