Posted to rec.woodworking

Default repairing old veneer

I have one book which advises me to use heat to reset the glue on original
pieces of veneer that have fallen off a ~46 year old piece. Specifically it
suggests using an iron with some blotter paper between the iron and the
veneer.

Has anybody ever tried this? Any advice on this or alternative methods is
appreciated.

TIA,
Dean

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Dean H. wrote:
I have one book which advises me to use heat to reset the glue on original
pieces of veneer that have fallen off a ~46 year old piece. Specifically it
suggests using an iron with some blotter paper between the iron and the
veneer.

Has anybody ever tried this? Any advice on this or alternative methods is
appreciated.

The "trick" relies on the veneer being bonded w/ hide glue which can
sometimes be reactivated w/ heat. All you can find out is that it
doesn't work or that it is nonuniform in working (my usual result )

Alternative is new glue. W/ the piece entirely off it's easier than if
it is a corner to get a clean surface.

At 50 yrs, it's not yet truly an antique, and has high probability of
being factory manufactured piece and the glue may not have been hide but
a two-part. In that case, the heat won't touch it and you'll have to
clean the surface and start anew.

Help ID Veneer? Scott Hildenbrand Woodworking 11 February 7th 07 10:44 PM
Using my veneer trim or chamfer bits to make a veneer arris bent Woodworking 0 December 27th 06 04:00 AM
Old Veneer remove Woodworking 1 September 2nd 06 06:11 AM
Oak Veneer Mike S Woodworking 2 July 20th 05 11:49 PM
veneer John Grossbohlin Woodworking 1 July 3rd 05 07:15 PM