Al Miller

Default Butternut finish

I'm making a cradle for a friend (helping him actually) and we're wondering
about the best finish for butternut. We have some beautiful figured wood
that we want to bring out the figure and be safe for the baby (his 1st
Granddaughter). I use a lot of Tung oil on my projects but not sure if it's
right for a babies cradle. Help.
Thank you guys,
Al in WA

Edwin Pawlowski

"Al Miller" wrote in message
et...
I'm making a cradle for a friend (helping him actually) and we're

wondering
about the best finish for butternut. We have some beautiful figured wood
that we want to bring out the figure and be safe for the baby (his 1st
Granddaughter). I use a lot of Tung oil on my projects but not sure if

it's
right for a babies cradle. Help.
Thank you guys,
Al in WA

Tung oil is safe. So is shellac so you may want to consider putting it over
the oil if you like a gloss finish.
Ed

hex

"Al Miller" wrote in message . net...
I'm making a cradle for a friend (helping him actually) and we're wondering
about the best finish for butternut. We have some beautiful figured wood
that we want to bring out the figure and be safe for the baby (his 1st
Granddaughter). I use a lot of Tung oil on my projects but not sure if it's
right for a babies cradle. Help.
Thank you guys,
Al in WA

First off, unless this is a terribly large cradle, you don't have to
worry about gnawing the finish -- most babies need moved out to a crib
about the time they can turn over. Make sure the finish is dry and
"aired out" before putting the cradle in service.

Personally, I like Watco natural on butternut -- pops the figure,
keeps the color.
Tung oil is probably a good choice too.

hex
-30-
Donnie Vazquez

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Al Miller" wrote in message
et...
I'm making a cradle for a friend (helping him actually) and we're

wondering
about the best finish for butternut. We have some beautiful figured wood
that we want to bring out the figure and be safe for the baby (his 1st
Granddaughter). I use a lot of Tung oil on my projects but not sure if

it's
right for a babies cradle. Help.
Thank you guys,
Al in WA

Tung oil is safe. So is shellac so you may want to consider putting it over
the oil if you like a gloss finish.
Ed

I'd go with the shellac over oil as well, but a nice, non-toxic
alternative is Tried & True oil.
--
Donnie Vazquez
Sunderland, MD
Michael Daly

On 4-Sep-2003, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

Tung oil is safe.

There's tung oil and there's tung oil. Unfortunately, what it says on
the label isn't always what's in the can. Pure tung oil is safe. Tung
oil with heavy metal catalysts in it is not. Check what you buy carefully.

Mike

Dan Dunphy

I've only recently discovered Butternut. I finished my first project
with clear Watco, and it is beautiful. I understand tung oil holds up
better, but I haven't used any yet.
A local supply house sells 4/4 for 2.50 a board foot, the least
expensive wood they have. I'll be using a lot more of it.
Dan
I the below link doesn't work, copy it into your browser.

http://www.pcisys.net/~dandunphy/graphic/rack_s.jpg

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 02:20:15 GMT, "Al Miller" wrote:

I'm making a cradle for a friend (helping him actually) and we're wondering
about the best finish for butternut. We have some beautiful figured wood
that we want to bring out the figure and be safe for the baby (his 1st
Granddaughter). I use a lot of Tung oil on my projects but not sure if it's
right for a babies cradle. Help.
Thank you guys,
Al in WA

Colorado Springs, CO
My advice may be worth what you paid for it.