Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Buy cherry online or retail????

Greetings All,
We are in the final quarter of a major house remodel which includes a
new kitchen with cherry cabinets. My wife likes the look and now we want
to consider cherry to trim out the doors, windows and soffits. My
dilemma is whether to price and buy online or retail. Has anyone bought
cherry online and been satisfied? I'm wondering if there is enough of a
price advantage buying sight unseen(online) over going to the local
hardwood store and picking and choosing. Since I already have a Unisaw,
DW735, DJ20 and Rikon 18" bandsaw, I would be able to put them to good
use. I'd even be willing to buy 8/4 or even 12/4 and resaw in order to
get fairly consistent coloring. I'm just concerned that since cherry has
that whole heartwood/sapwood thing going on, that I may have to scrap
more than if I can pick and choose myself.
Thanks for your input,
Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 21:17:49 GMT, Mark wrote:

local
hardwood store and picking and choosing.

Hardwood "Store"? Yeah, that would be expensive. G The word
"store" makes me wonder if you're buying from a Woodcraft, which can
be really convenient, but super expensive..

However, if you're ordering from a local lumber supplier, I'll bet you
can cream a mail order supplier for a decent sized trim order.
Shipping adds up fast. If you happen to have some 5 Minute epoxy and
a tube of black artist's oil paint, and order #1 common, I'll bet
you'd be shocked at how much lower the price may be.

You don't necessarily need FAS for trim, if you choose the best
sections of #1 common for the most visible parts.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark" wrote in message
et...
Greetings All,
We are in the final quarter of a major house remodel which includes a new
kitchen with cherry cabinets. My wife likes the look and now we want to
consider cherry to trim out the doors, windows and soffits. My dilemma is
whether to price and buy online or retail. Has anyone bought cherry online
and been satisfied? I'm wondering if there is enough of a price advantage
buying sight unseen(online) over going to the local hardwood store and
picking and choosing. Since I already have a Unisaw, DW735, DJ20 and Rikon
18" bandsaw, I would be able to put them to good use. I'd even be willing
to buy 8/4 or even 12/4 and resaw in order to get fairly consistent
coloring. I'm just concerned that since cherry has that whole
heartwood/sapwood thing going on, that I may have to scrap more than if I
can pick and choose myself.

I personally wouldn't buy online. I like to pick and choose, and will pay
more to be able to do so.
However, if your local cherry is expensive, consider...
http://www.dansvilledimension.com/lumber.html

They are about 75 miles from me and I went there once when I needed a lot of
cherry. I was amazed at how uniformly good their entire stock was.

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 21:17:49 GMT, Mark wrote:

local
hardwood store and picking and choosing.

Hardwood "Store"? Yeah, that would be expensive. G The word
"store" makes me wonder if you're buying from a Woodcraft, which can
be really convenient, but super expensive..

However, if you're ordering from a local lumber supplier, I'll bet you
can cream a mail order supplier for a decent sized trim order.
Shipping adds up fast. If you happen to have some 5 Minute epoxy and
a tube of black artist's oil paint, and order #1 common, I'll bet
you'd be shocked at how much lower the price may be.

You don't necessarily need FAS for trim, if you choose the best
sections of #1 common for the most visible parts.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

By store, I meant OWL Hardwood supply, near Chicago. I don't know what
their bft price is yet, but I may take a look anyway. I agree Woodcraft
would blow the budget out of the water...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, I've bookmarked them and will look into it. Since this will be
such a visible project, I may need to pay a little more to get the lok I
want.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Mark wrote:
to consider cherry to trim out the doors, windows and soffits. My
dilemma is whether to price and buy online or retail. Has anyone bought
cherry online and been satisfied? I'm wondering if there is enough of a
price advantage buying sight unseen(online) over going to the local
hardwood store and picking and choosing. Since I already have a Unisaw,
DW735, DJ20 and Rikon 18" bandsaw, I would be able to put them to good
use. I'd even be willing to buy 8/4 or even 12/4 and resaw in order to
get fairly consistent coloring. I'm just concerned that since cherry has
that whole heartwood/sapwood thing going on, that I may have to scrap
more than if I can pick and choose myself.

How much (in bd-ft) are you talking about here? I routinely buy
hardwood "sight unseen" because there's no distributor within 200 miles.
But, I buy minimums of 4-500 ft at a time. It will all get used
eventually. I agree w/ the other respondent that 1C is often the "best
buy".

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have had good luck on line, but I also think some sapwood adds
caracter to cherry.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

henry wrote:
I have had good luck on line, but I also think some sapwood adds
caracter to cherry.

I wasn't against online per se, although I can get shipped from the
suppliers I buy from in concert w/ local lumberyards and/or other
individuals so shipping is far less than what what online suppliers have
wanted in what little looking I've done. If you're relatively close to
one or don't have other local sources, sure, go for it...

For OP, I'd gather how much if any sapwood he wants to allow in the
woodwork would depend heavily on the style and character of the
cabinetry he already has installed. If it's all heartwood and a fairly
"period" look, sapwood would (so to speak ) probably also be
distracting from that "look and feel". While it is, of course, possible
to minimize the color differences w/ judicious finishing, doesn't really
sound like cost is a constraint here...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 21:17:49 GMT, Mark wrote:

local
hardwood store and picking and choosing.

Hardwood "Store"? Yeah, that would be expensive. G The word
"store" makes me wonder if you're buying from a Woodcraft, which can
be really convenient, but super expensive..

I would define a "hardwood store" as a "store" that sells mostly "hardwood".
In the Chicago area, where the OP apparently is, that includes Owl Hardwood
Lumber Company and not a whole lot else.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark" wrote in message
et...
-----
By store, I meant OWL Hardwood supply, near Chicago. I don't know what
their bft price is yet, but I may take a look anyway. I agree Woodcraft
would blow the budget out of the water...

The price list I have is a bit out of date, but I think you can figure on
$7-8/BF for 4/4 cherry at Owl. The only semi-local place that I know of
that you'll get it for less would be Kirkland Sawmill in Kirkland, IL. It's
a bit of a drive for me, but for a bunch of BF, it can be worthwhile. I've
bought maple there a couple of times for about half the price of Owl.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 09:59:22 -0500, "todd" wrote:

I would define a "hardwood store" as a "store" that sells mostly "hardwood".
In the Chicago area, where the OP apparently is, that includes Owl Hardwood
Lumber Company and not a whole lot else.

I'm not picking on anyone, it's just that "store" gives a top dollar
retail-esque picture to me when used with lumber. G It may very
well be a regional dialect thing. Please don't take it personally.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

Personally I have never bought on-line, so I can't address that issue.
Forget the resaw idea though. You will pay a per-bd/ft premium for thick
stock and then spend a huge amount of time resawing it. If you need 1"
nominal stock, just buy 4/4.

Regarding sapwood. It generally only shows up on one face of the board, so
unless the application can be seen from all sides, like a table leg, it's
not that big of a deal to work around.

-Steve

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

I realized that thicker does cost more per bd ft after I started pricing
all the options. 4/4 is fine for me