Posted to rec.woodworking

Default T&G wood panels installed in diaganol pattern on a wall

I started to install "roofers"(3/4 by 5 1/4 with smooth side out)
planks on a long wall with 2 windows at an angle such that they meet
in the center of the room creating a downward looking arrow
pattern....sort of a herringbone? Anyways, I completely installed the
left side of the room without too much hassle. I started in the far
left bottom corner and worked out from there to the center of the
wall. This was fairly straight forward since I could tap the end of
the planks to meet exactly at the center line on the wall. From the
right bottom corner it was also easy going until I ran into the long
boards that run from the center of the wall to the ceiling...I'm lost
as to how to get these boards to meet exactly in the center as now I
do not have anywhere to tap the boards to the center line once I get
the boards onto the tongue and tap into place the downward movement of
the board leaves a gap in the center of the wall. This would not be a
problem if I intended to cover the center line gap with a vertical
strip but I would rather not. Any suggestions on how to "move" these
boards to the center line once they are joined to the lower board's
tongue? I'm considering some sort of dry lubricant applied to the
bottom tongue after perhaps sanding some of the tongue down to allow
me to shove the boards to the center line???

Posted to rec.woodworking

Interesting problem:

I would probably use a small hand plane and knock the corners off of
the tongue almost all the way down to the bottom of the tongue of the
lower boards before I installed them. Then the upper board can be
easily slid while only being 90% down onto the tongue and driven down
the last bit once the sliding is done.

Also, align the boards at the joint and drive the boards straight down
onto the tongue and not along the tongue.

On Jun 13, 5:49 am, muncybob wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 13, 5:49 am, muncybob wrote:

snip

right bottom corner it was also easy going until I ran into the long
boards that run from the center of the wall to the ceiling...I'm lost
as to how to get these boards to meet exactly in the center as now I
do not have anywhere to tap the boards to the center line once I get
the boards onto the tongue and tap into place the downward movement of
the board leaves a gap in the center of the wall. This would not be a
problem if I intended to cover the center line gap with a vertical
strip but I would rather not. Any suggestions on how to "move" these
boards to the center line once they are joined to the lower board's
tongue? I'm considering some sort of dry lubricant applied to the
bottom tongue after perhaps sanding some of the tongue down to allow
me to shove the boards to the center line???

How about using one of the hook tools used to install laminate flooring:

http://www.carpettool.net/561_cmyk.jpg

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA