Posted to rec.woodworking
Al Al is offline

Default safty switch madness

Hi guys,
I am stuck , need some help. I have a small shed and silly me, went and
bought a big dust collector as you would do. the problem is that it comes
with one of those safety magnetic switches (every time you cut electricity
to it you have to manually turn it back on). I am getting there. to cut the
long story short, I have to locate the dust collector in a hard to reach
place. the previous one I had, had a normal switch on it and i just left it
on and every time i needed it on i would turn it on from the wall. but this
one is a pain to turn on every time. I have thought of by-passing the
switch (open it up and short it from inside) but it just doesn't feel
right. I was wondering if anyone else out there had to deal with it and
what did you do. what do you recommend. And someone please tell me why do
we need one of those bloody safety switches on dust collectors. What!!!
they are worried, it might accidentally suck the owner in ?????

cheers
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Al wrote:

bought a big dust collector ...
with ... magnetic switches [...and] this
one is a pain to turn on every time. ...
what did you do. what do you recommend. ...do
we need ...safety switches on dust collectors.

If you don't want it to go off when whatever it is on goes off, wire it
into a circuit that stays live.

How big is "big"? Typically magnetic starters are used for larger
motors for the overload and switching as well as the "lockout" feature...

While not as directly a safety issue as a tablesaw, it is in general not
a bad idea to have a device not restart "automagically" imo.

I guess another alternative would be to wire the starter remotely --
nothing says the mag starter has to be mounted on the DC itself...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Al Al is offline

--

thanks ...
you do have a point there. I could just extend the wires and bring the
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Al wrote:
dpb wrote:

Al wrote:

[...]

If you do, be sure to wire it as if it were "real" wiring...I don't know
your shop arrangement, but I'd assume the DC is in a fixed, permanent
location. I'd use conduit if it were in mine...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Al wrote:

| I am stuck , need some help. I have a small shed and silly me, went
| and bought a big dust collector as you would do.

Obviously, you need a larger shop! ;-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Personally now the shop should be "re-sized" to match the DC, just make
sense

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Al wrote:

| I am stuck , need some help. I have a small shed and silly me, went
| and bought a big dust collector as you would do.

Obviously, you need a larger shop! ;-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Why not get one of those wireless control switches like the "long ranger".
That way you could just push the button on your remote control hanging from
your belt whenever you want to turn it on or off and there's no additional
shop wiring involved.

Charley

Al wrote:

| I am stuck , need some help. I have a small shed and silly me, went
| and bought a big dust collector as you would do.

Obviously, you need a larger shop! ;-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Charley wrote:
Why not get one of those wireless control switches like the "long ranger".
That way you could just push the button on your remote control hanging from
your belt whenever you want to turn it on or off and there's no additional
shop wiring involved.

Aren't they infrared "line of sight" devices? I was presuming this was
out of sight from the description...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Al" wrote in message
u...
Hi guys,
I am stuck , need some help. I have a small shed and silly me, went and
bought a big dust collector as you would do. the problem is that it comes
with one of those safety magnetic switches

What dust collector comes with a magnetic switch?
Remove it, and put a simple switch on the feed cable in a convenient place.

Like you say, it isn't going to suck you in. As long as you don't change
the bag during a power outage you ought to be okay.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 14:14:41 -0500, dpb wrote:

Aren't they infrared "line of sight" devices? I was presuming this was
out of sight from the description...

No.

I can turn my DC and HVLP turbine on and off from different rooms.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

B A R R Y wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 14:14:41 -0500, dpb wrote:

Aren't they infrared "line of sight" devices? I was presuming this was
out of sight from the description...

No.

I can turn my DC and HVLP turbine on and off from different rooms.

OK, good to know...was thinking the other way for OP would be the
individual tool sensor pickup as well...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Toller wrote:
"Al" wrote in message
u...
Hi guys,
I am stuck , need some help. I have a small shed and silly me, went and
bought a big dust collector as you would do. the problem is that it comes
with one of those safety magnetic switches

What dust collector comes with a magnetic switch?
Remove it, and put a simple switch on the feed cable in a convenient place.

If it came with it, I wouldn't blindly recommend that. First, we don't
know how big this is other than "big" and I'm guessing if it did come
with a mag starter, it's there mostly for the overload/starter/"heater"
protection although for a very large system there are some
considerations on air movement/suction/etc., as well...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Al Al is offline

Al wrote:

[...]

thanks so much for all the comments. I didnt know you could have a remote
control. that makes a lot of sense. I am not feeling comfortable removing
the switch. apart from all the other safty considerations, I am kind of
worried about the warranty issues as well.
could you tell me more about this remote control business and where can i
get one and what is it called ...

oh and it is only a five hourse power twin bag industrial DC. I know the
sanest way to make the shed look normal again is to move couple of walls a
few yards out :.

cheers

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
Charley wrote:
Why not get one of those wireless control switches like the "long
ranger".
That way you could just push the button on your remote control hanging
from
your belt whenever you want to turn it on or off and there's no
additional
shop wiring involved.

Aren't they infrared "line of sight" devices? I was presuming this was
out of sight from the description...

It doesn't make any difference whether it's IR or RF, the problem is
that the Long Ranger (and other such devices) is nothing more than a
remote controlled OUTLET placed between a live outlet and the equipment.

The OP has a piece of equipment with a magnetic relay switch which, when
power is removed from the outlet it's connected to turns off. The only
way - other than rewiring to defeat the magnetic switch - to turn the
equipment back on is to physically push the nice little red "on" button.

Remove the magnetic switch or get your exercise walking across the shop
to turn it on and off.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Say What? wrote:
dpb wrote:
Charley wrote:
[...]

Wasn't familiar w/ the "Long Ranger" by name, but others I have seen
didn't seem up to the job. Thought maybe one was an actual controller...

It's also true on reflection the remote sensors wouldn't serve,
either--that was a bum suggestion in sort of a reaction to the other w/o
thinking of the starter issue.

For a 5 HP motor, I'd stay with my original suggestion to move the
magnetic starter to a location of convenience.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Al wrote:
[...]

Being it is a "big dust collector" the mag switch is probably just what
is appropriate for starting/stopping a motor of that size as much as
for safety. It is not much trouble to add an additional ON switch to
such a motor starter, or to relocate the switch. Normally 3 wires are
required for the off/on switch IIRC.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 10, 7:16 am, Al wrote:
[...]

OK, how about a mechanical remote control. a pull string into where
you can reach it easily, a lever with a tennis ball or something
positioned to hit the on button and enough weight to get the button
pushed on. you pull the string till it hits the backstop, let go and
the DC turns on....

Posted to rec.woodworking
Al Al is offline

ummm, mechanical ... yep.... I think dpb is absolutely right. I did look at
the remote control options and, well, useless in case of mag switches. it
looks like i would have to either move the mag switch or perhaps
relocate/rearrange the shop a little, yeah the exercise boots don't seem so
bad either.

thanks for all your input, it is much appreciated.

cheers
al

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

Toller wrote:
"Al" wrote in message
u...
Hi guys,
I am stuck , need some help. I have a small shed and silly me, went and
bought a big dust collector as you would do. the problem is that it comes
with one of those safety magnetic switches

What dust collector comes with a magnetic switch?
Remove it, and put a simple switch on the feed cable in a convenient place.

If it came with it, I wouldn't blindly recommend that. First, we don't
know how big this is other than "big" and I'm guessing if it did come
with a mag starter, it's there mostly for the overload/starter/"heater"
protection although for a very large system there are some
considerations on air movement/suction/etc., as well...

--

I certainly wouldn't replace a mag starter with an ordinary switch.
Remounting the mag starter in a more convenient location and extending

Posted to rec.woodworking
Me Me is offline

Al wrote:
ummm, mechanical ... yep.... I think dpb is absolutely right. I did look at
the remote control options and, well, useless in case of mag switches. it
looks like i would have to either move the mag switch or perhaps
relocate/rearrange the shop a little, yeah the exercise boots don't seem so
bad either.

thanks for all your input, it is much appreciated.

cheers
al

al make a lean to on the outside of your shop and put the dc in there.
run a wire to the dc with the switch on from your shop ,if you have any
problems with the dc you can easily put the switch back on.
frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

Al,

In spite of what others have said, it's quite easy to add a radio control to
your dust collector. When it turns on it would apply power to the coil of
the mag switch and start the collector. It's also quite easy to add
additional remote start/stop buttons and you could put them in convenient
places all over your shop. A 3 conductor cable is all that is necessary to
run between them and the mag switch and the cable can run from one switch to
the next and then to the next, etc. In my former life I was an automation
engineer (EE) and this is a very simple circuit that any electrician should
be able to handle. I suggested the radio control so you wouldn't need to run
the extra wiring. Do which ever one suites your shop best.

Charley

"Al" wrote in message
u...
ummm, mechanical ... yep.... I think dpb is absolutely right. I did look

at
the remote control options and, well, useless in case of mag switches. it
looks like i would have to either move the mag switch or perhaps
relocate/rearrange the shop a little, yeah the exercise boots don't seem

so
bad either.

thanks for all your input, it is much appreciated.

cheers
al

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 00:16:58 +1000, Al wrote:

it comes with one of those safety magnetic switches

What do you mean by "magnetic switch" ? A cheap one that needs to be
physically pressed to turn it on, or a proper contactor that's a relay
with a hold-in circuit ?

Dust collectors are ideally supplied through a proper contactor, because
it makes it easy to switch them on remotely (possibly from several
locations) with an easily added parallel push button circuit (although
remember you're still wiring a mains voltage circuit here, and it needs
to be wired as such!)

I can get low HP contactors very cheaply from industrial scrap (big
lighting circuits). They're not enough to run a big sawbench motor and
they don't have the overload protection I'd want on a machine that might
be overloaded during a cut, but they're fine for a 1HP dust collector.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 07:33:23 +1000, Al wrote:

oh and it is only a five hourse power twin bag industrial DC.

"Only" ? 5HP ?!

At those powers, I wouldn't be surprised if it used a timer and a
star-delta switch!
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 07:33:23 +1000, Al wrote:

oh and it is only a five hourse power twin bag industrial DC.

"Only" ? 5HP ?!

At those powers, I wouldn't be surprised if it used a timer and a
star-delta switch!

Of course, not knowing where it came from, that could be "peak" hp...

5 hp is about the max for "ordinary" single phase motors, certainly...

Lathe Safty sweet sawdust Woodworking 18 December 23rd 06 04:00 AM
Sincerely offer Surveillance Equipment ,to make your life more safty [email protected] Home Ownership 0 December 4th 06 06:33 AM
Mailbox madness HeyBub Home Repair 1 November 2nd 06 01:01 AM
eBay madness again! Christopher Tidy Metalworking 10 November 26th 05 05:50 AM
More shop light madness Joe Wells Woodworking 20 July 27th 05 04:43 PM