Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lathe Safty

A while back some one asked if those clear plastic face shields work. I
found the answer today, YES. My wife got me a set of bowl turning chisels
for Christmas (why I have them now is another story). Not being a bowl
turner I had to try them. Took an 8# block of ash out of the wood pile and
put it on the lathe face plate. Turned it until the lathe stopped
bouncing,and the shape was close, increased the speed a notch and started
cutting the inside of the bowl. Next thing I know the whole shebang came
off the lathe and hit me square in the face. Faceplate has a nice scuff
mark on the shield and I had a nice break and cup of tea otherwise no
damage, to me or the block of wood. Cause of incident, too light of screws
holding wood to face plate, at least I learned.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sweet sawdust" wrote in message
A while back some one asked if those clear plastic face shields work. I
found the answer today, YES. My wife got me a set of bowl turning chisels
for Christmas (why I have them now is another story). Not being a bowl
turner I had to try them. Took an 8# block of ash out of the wood pile and
put it on the lathe face plate. Turned it until the lathe stopped
bouncing,and the shape was close, increased the speed a notch and started
cutting the inside of the bowl. Next thing I know the whole shebang came
off the lathe and hit me square in the face. Faceplate has a nice scuff
mark on the shield and I had a nice break and cup of tea otherwise no
damage, to me or the block of wood. Cause of incident, too light of screws
holding wood to face plate, at least I learned.

Good to hear it worked out okay.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sweet sawdust" wrote in message
A while back some one asked if those clear plastic face shields work. I
found the answer today, YES. My wife got me a set of bowl turning chisels
for Christmas (why I have them now is another story). Not being a bowl
turner I had to try them. Took an 8# block of ash out of the wood pile and
put it on the lathe face plate. Turned it until the lathe stopped
bouncing,and the shape was close, increased the speed a notch and started
cutting the inside of the bowl. Next thing I know the whole shebang came
off the lathe and hit me square in the face. Faceplate has a nice scuff
mark on the shield and I had a nice break and cup of tea otherwise no
damage, to me or the block of wood. Cause of incident, too light of screws
holding wood to face plate, at least I learned.

I have had a number of heavy metal objects hit my faceshield while doing
grinding. I will not perform a variety of shop functions without a face
shield. And mine is attached to a hard hat too.

Good for you. You got off easy. Let the safety equipment take the hit.
That way we don't scar up our pretty faces!

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

sweet sawdust wrote:
A while back some one asked if those clear plastic face shields work. I
found the answer today, YES. My wife got me a set of bowl turning chisels
for Christmas (why I have them now is another story). Not being a bowl
turner I had to try them. Took an 8# block of ash out of the wood pile and
put it on the lathe face plate. Turned it until the lathe stopped
bouncing,and the shape was close, increased the speed a notch and started
cutting the inside of the bowl. Next thing I know the whole shebang came
off the lathe and hit me square in the face. Faceplate has a nice scuff
mark on the shield and I had a nice break and cup of tea otherwise no
damage, to me or the block of wood. Cause of incident, too light of screws
holding wood to face plate, at least I learned. Did the screws break, or just lose their grip (i.e. not long enough)? PS: Never use drywall screws, as they're too brittle. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "sweet sawdust" wrote:
A while back some one asked if those clear plastic face shields work. I
found the answer today, YES. My wife got me a set of bowl turning chisels
for Christmas (why I have them now is another story). Not being a bowl
turner I had to try them. Took an 8# block of ash out of the wood pile and
put it on the lathe face plate. Turned it until the lathe stopped
bouncing,and the shape was close, increased the speed a notch and started
cutting the inside of the bowl. Next thing I know the whole shebang came
off the lathe and hit me square in the face. Faceplate has a nice scuff
mark on the shield and I had a nice break and cup of tea otherwise no
damage, to me or the block of wood. Cause of incident, too light of screws
holding wood to face plate, at least I learned.

I'm glad you weren't hurt.

Now for my canned spiel every time the topic of eye protection comes up: There
are other things on your face besides your eyes that need protection. Good
thing you were wearing a face shield instead of just goggles.

Where do you figure it would have whacked you if you'd been wearing goggles
and no shield? Nose? Teeth?

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

Now for my canned spiel every time the topic of eye protection comes up: There
are other things on your face besides your eyes that need protection. Good
thing you were wearing a face shield instead of just goggles.

Where do you figure it would have whacked you if you'd been wearing goggles
and no shield? Nose? Teeth?

I couldn't agree more. Yet there are those that feel like there is a
predictable flight path for wood that leaves the lathe, and that using
simple prudence is almost safety factor enough. Citing all manner of
laws of physics, etc., they feel comfortable without a shield.

Obviously they just haven't been whacked in the head like OP. Good for
OP for wearing the proper gear. Face shields are cheap enough, and
even cooler than googles and provide much more protection.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lost thier grip. I went to 4 longer course drywall screws with 4 regular
flat head screwswith a finer thread. I figure the flatheds will hold the
bowl on and the dry wall screws are just for back up.
"tom" wrote in message
ups.com...

sweet sawdust wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

From the scuff mark and what I can remember seeing when it hit me, It would
have been right in the left eye at about the eyebrow. I know it knocked me
back a foot or so when it hit so it would have been a significant blow.
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
t...
In article , "sweet sawdust"
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "sweet sawdust" wrote:
From the scuff mark and what I can remember seeing when it hit me, It would
have been right in the left eye at about the eyebrow. I know it knocked me
back a foot or so when it hit so it would have been a significant blow.

The face shield probably saved you from a broken nose as well as an eye
injury. Aren't you glad you had it on?

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 06:01:17 -0800, nailshooter41 wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

Now for my canned spiel every time the topic of eye protection comes up: There
are other things on your face besides your eyes that need protection. Good
thing you were wearing a face shield instead of just goggles.

Where do you figure it would have whacked you if you'd been wearing goggles
and no shield? Nose? Teeth?

I couldn't agree more. Yet there are those that feel like there is a
predictable flight path for wood that leaves the lathe, and that using
simple prudence is almost safety factor enough. Citing all manner of
laws of physics, etc., they feel comfortable without a shield.

It's funny how people who aren't physicists are such experts on the laws
of physics. Generally it means that they've never actually had to solve
the equations. A simple pendulum is bad enough the first time, when you
get to unconstrained motion of an irregularly shaped object
in three dimensions with rotation and both elastic and inelastic
deformations then it's "watch me bring the Cray to its knees" time,
without heavy duty number crunching all you can say that has real
relevance is "incoming" as you duck and cover.

Obviously they just haven't been whacked in the head like OP. Good for
OP for wearing the proper gear. Face shields are cheap enough, and even
cooler than googles and provide much more protection.

Robert

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
I couldn't agree more. Yet there are those that feel like there is a
predictable flight path for wood that leaves the lathe, and that using
simple prudence is almost safety factor enough. Citing all manner of
laws of physics, etc., they feel comfortable without a shield.

Obviously they just haven't been whacked in the head like OP. Good for
OP for wearing the proper gear. Face shields are cheap enough, and
even cooler than googles and provide much more protection.

Suppose those might be the folks who cut above center, entering down for
convex work and keep their toolrest close? If Newton's right, they get an
opposite from their tool, and the rest takes any ricochet. Which they watch
from a secure arm's length because they know better then to stand in front
of poorly-held spinning objects or objects that might be propelled by
spinning objects.

Always puzzles me when people talk about getting a board propelled into
their gut by a tablesaw. What in the hell were they doing standing behind
the thing anyway?

Posted to rec.woodworking

The Only reason I had put it on was to protect me from flying chips. I will
now rethink the chip protection and give it a better place in the shop were
it gets dusted off more often, much more often. Just wish I could figure
out a way to smoke my pipe when using it, oh well can't have everything.
Guess I will forgo the pipe when turning, it is out most of the time anyway.
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
news
In article , "sweet sawdust"
wrote:
From the scuff mark and what I can remember seeing when it hit me, It
would
have been right in the left eye at about the eyebrow. I know it knocked
me
back a foot or so when it hit so it would have been a significant blow.

The face shield probably saved you from a broken nose as well as an eye
injury. Aren't you glad you had it on?

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 14:24:58 -0600, sweet sawdust wrote:

The Only reason I had put it on was to protect me from flying chips. I will
now rethink the chip protection and give it a better place in the shop were
it gets dusted off more often, much more often. Just wish I could figure
out a way to smoke my pipe when using it, oh well can't have everything.
Guess I will forgo the pipe when turning, it is out most of the time
anyway.

Hookah? Smoke will still get in your eyes though.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
news
In article , "sweet sawdust"
wrote:
From the scuff mark and what I can remember seeing when it hit me, It
would
have been right in the left eye at about the eyebrow. I know it
knocked me
back a foot or so when it hit so it would have been a significant blow.

The face shield probably saved you from a broken nose as well as an eye
injury. Aren't you glad you had it on?

--
Regards,

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

George wrote:

(snip about people who think they can predict the flight path of
a turning gone wild)

: Suppose those might be the folks who cut above center, entering down for
: convex work and keep their toolrest close? If Newton's right, they get an
: opposite from their tool, and the rest takes any ricochet.

The rest doesn't take any riccochet. And if ytou're referring to
"every action has an opposite and equal reaction, once the tool
catches and hits the rest, it stops, and the WOOD receives
the opposing force, not the toolrest.

Which they watch
: from a secure arm's length because they know better then to stand in front
: of poorly-held spinning objects or objects that might be propelled by
: spinning objects.

Sure, those are useful tips for decreasing the likelihood of a catch, and
for decreasing the likelihood of getting hit.

But anyone who thinks that is going to provide complete protection
all the time is ignorant (sometimes willfully so).

To give one data point, I was in the audience at a demo by Chris Stott, a
professional woodturner. He was turning a bowl from green acacia, and
it shattered. A piece hit the wall ten feet behind my head and bounced
back and hit me in the back.

This piece was really sharp. It comes to a point sharp enough to
go right through an eyeball if you got a direct hit. And I was some 15-20
feet away from the lathe, and not inline with what you would call the expected
danger zone.

I keep that 5" fragment of wood right near my lathe as a reminder
to always wear a face shield.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
George wrote:

[...]

Nice thing about cutting as I recommended is that you _don't_ catch. The
vectors involved try to push the tool away from the piece, thus the opposite
is the piece is being pushed away from the tool and you. And I'll take the
rest as protection over a mask, thank you. When the physical distance
between the person and the piece is added in, it's a great combination.

Shavings never make it above the xiphoid, except when peeling inside. I get
watching the opposite side of the bowl and the shavings tangle sometimes
gets tossed in the air after being carried around and out. I have to
remember to close my eyes when removing my glasses and brushing my hair,
because they get caught on the lashes and lids, and sometimes I blink 'em
in. Looks like time and an increasing forehead may make that moot soon,
however.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
It's funny how people who aren't physicists are such experts on the laws
of physics. Generally it means that they've never actually had to solve
the equations. A simple pendulum is bad enough the first time, when you
get to unconstrained motion of an irregularly shaped object
in three dimensions with rotation and both elastic and inelastic
deformations then it's "watch me bring the Cray to its knees" time,
without heavy duty number crunching all you can say that has real
relevance is "incoming" as you duck and cover.

I sat on a Cray X-MP at NCSA once.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 21:13:33 -0600, todd wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
It's funny how people who aren't physicists are such experts on the laws
of physics. Generally it means that they've never actually had to solve
the equations. A simple pendulum is bad enough the first time, when you
get to unconstrained motion of an irregularly shaped object
in three dimensions with rotation and both elastic and inelastic
deformations then it's "watch me bring the Cray to its knees" time,
without heavy duty number crunching all you can say that has real
relevance is "incoming" as you duck and cover.

I sat on a Cray X-MP at NCSA once.

Cool. Always liked the way Cray tried to make their machines decor items.

todd