Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Jet 16-32 sander

Anyone with Jet 16-32 sander, what is your evaluation of it?

Pros and cons.

Also is this a rebadged performax?

--
Frank Howell

-----------------
-----------------
Posted to rec.woodworking

Frank Howell wrote:
Anyone with Jet 16-32 sander, what is your evaluation of it?

Pros and cons.

Also is this a rebadged performax?

They bought Performax quite a while ago.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Howell" wrote in message
Anyone with Jet 16-32 sander, what is your evaluation of it?

Pros and cons.

Also is this a rebadged performax?

--
Frank Howell

-----------------
-----------------

I was looking at it just before Christmas and ended up buying the 22/44. I
did however have a strange tracking problem that magically cured itself.
You certainly do need a dust collector.
Is it a rebadged Performax? Probably however my 22/44 weight in excess of
200 lbs and is mostly cast iron. IIRC the 16-32 is mostly aluminum.
Pros, Its great for smoothing or "slowly" thicknessing figured wood that is
likely to tear out if you use a planer. The drum moves up and down and not
the conveyor when changing settings.

Cons, it can be slow so don't count on it replacing a planer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 22:31:25 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Cons, it can be slow so don't count on it replacing a planer.

When you NEED it, you'll wonder how you lived without it!

I've used my 22-44 in a configuration where trim boards are exiting my
planer, getting turned around, and put back through the sander @ 120
grit, where they are stacked for finishing.

The sanders also cannot be beat for highly figured stock. I keep 24
& 36 grit handy for just such an occasion.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Cons, it can be slow so don't count on it replacing a planer.

When you NEED it, you'll wonder how you lived without it!

I've used my 22-44 in a configuration where trim boards are exiting my
planer, getting turned around, and put back through the sander @ 120
grit, where they are stacked for finishing.

The sanders also cannot be beat for highly figured stock. I keep 24
& 36 grit handy for just such an occasion.

Why not let the planer feed directly into the sander???? ;~) LOL.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 00:02:02 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Why not let the planer feed directly into the sander???? ;~) LOL.

Like you never thought of trying!

Enjoying that cool brew while cleaning up, you look across the room
and think "Hey..." G
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply. I did see that the 16-32 is about 50 lbs. lighter then
the 22/44.
Also I noticed that both machines use 20A 110, with no provision to change
to 220. Is that how your sander is? Seems to me if using 20A 110 , you would
be right at the edge of popping circuit breaker. What has been your
experience.

Frank Howell

--
Frank Howell

-----------------
-----------------
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Cons, it can be slow so don't count on it replacing a planer.

When you NEED it, you'll wonder how you lived without it!

I've used my 22-44 in a configuration where trim boards are exiting my
planer, getting turned around, and put back through the sander @ 120
grit, where they are stacked for finishing.

The sanders also cannot be beat for highly figured stock. I keep 24
& 36 grit handy for just such an occasion.

Did you look at any other brands before you bought? I know that these are
slow machines, but they must still be faster then hand sanding or using ROS.

--
Frank Howell

-----------------
-----------------
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Howell" wrote in
:

wrote:

Cons, it can be slow so don't count on it replacing a planer.

When you NEED it, you'll wonder how you lived without it!

I've used my 22-44 in a configuration where trim boards are exiting
my planer, getting turned around, and put back through the sander @
120 grit, where they are stacked for finishing.

The sanders also cannot be beat for highly figured stock. I keep 24
& 36 grit handy for just such an occasion.

Did you look at any other brands before you bought? I know that these
are slow machines, but they must still be faster then hand sanding or
using ROS.

Consider that they are more for consistency than speed. A large surface
to be sanded, by a wide sanding drum makes everything pretty even.

I bought a 16/32, three or four years ago. I forget. Kept it for maybe
90-120 days, fought with it, and found it didn't suit MY needs. YMMV.
Sold it to someone in the club, but I don't remember who.

After the drum sanding, there may be a need for ROS and/or hand sanding
anyway. You'll have to decide yourself.

Like almost every other tool, not everyone needs to own one.

Patriarch,
owner of too many tools now...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Howell" wrote in message

Did you look at any other brands before you bought? I know that these are
slow machines, but they must still be faster then hand sanding or using
ROS.

Much faster than hand sanding not a whole lot faster than a ROS. Then
again, a hand sanding does not compare in speed to a ROS. If you are
thinking of getting one to speed sanding you will probably be disappointed.
They do however do a very good of sanding to a consistent flat thickness.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Howell" wrote in message

Thanks for the reply. I did see that the 16-32 is about 50 lbs. lighter
then the 22/44.
Also I noticed that both machines use 20A 110, with no provision to change
to 220. Is that how your sander is? Seems to me if using 20A 110 , you
would be right at the edge of popping circuit breaker. What has been your
experience.

Frank Howell

My machine is strictly 110 volt, I am told because of the motor on the
conveyor.
Sanding narrow stock lightly I can run the sander and dust collector off of
the same 15 amp circuit. Both machines indicated that a 20 amp circuit
would be necessary.
When I am sanding wider, harder, and faster I do plug the sander into a
separate 20 amp circuit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 09:15:44 -0700, "Frank Howell"
wrote:

Did you look at any other brands before you bought?

Are there other brands I can see? G

I can't see Grizzly without spending $350 on Avgas & cab fare to get
to Muncy.

Performax was about it for the 22" open ended drum sanders that I
could see.
** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 18:13:34 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

They do however do a very good of sanding to a consistent flat thickness.

And much better than a planer on figured or thin stock when loaded
with 24 or 36 grit paper.
** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **