Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Default Jet Disc/Belt Sander

I've got the opportunity to pick one of these up for around $400, in
very good shape. It's the one with the 6"x48" belt and a 12" disc. It
looks like the JSG-6DC on Amazon, except this one has a closed stand
base. It's a tool I pretty much need too, as I'm starting to fit trim
quite a bit.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
Borked Pseudo Mailed

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 09:27:47 -0800, Jay Pique wrote:

I've got the opportunity to pick one of these up for around $400, in
very good shape. It's the one with the 6"x48" belt and a 12" disc. It
looks like the JSG-6DC on Amazon, except this one has a closed stand
base. It's a tool I pretty much need too, as I'm starting to fit trim
quite a bit.

JP

Two Words-- Dust Collection

make that Three Words -- Dust Collection, LOTS

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 09:27:47 -0800, Jay Pique wrote:

I've got the opportunity to pick one of these up for around $400, in
very good shape. It's the one with the 6"x48" belt and a 12" disc. It
looks like the JSG-6DC on Amazon, except this one has a closed stand
base. It's a tool I pretty much need too, as I'm starting to fit trim
quite a bit.

Two Words-- Dust Collection
make that Three Words -- Dust Collection, LOTS

I've got just the ShopVac for it. I really hope it sucks.

As an update, I did indeed purchase the sander....for $300.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
arw01

$400 was too much, $300 is more like it. I found an older delta 12"
disk and 48" belt for $250 last summer but passed on it. No closed
steel base on the older delta.

Alan

Posted to rec.woodworking
max

I had the Jet machine. I wouldn't buy it again. You can get a used Delta or
Rockwell in the $250 to $400 range if you are persistent and act fast. The
cast iron platen on the Jet was soft and it was no longer flat. There were
divots and valleys which made it difficult to use. The belt tensioner is
very simple but the belt wondered. The motor went bad during the warranty
period so they replaced the unit. It went bad 3 years later. It didn't have
much use. I picked up a 30 year old Delta and it is still going strong.
max

$400 was too much, $300 is more like it. I found an older delta 12"
disk and 48" belt for $250 last summer but passed on it. No closed
steel base on the older delta.

Alan

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"arw01" wrote in message
oups.com...
$400 was too much, $300 is more like it. I found an older delta 12"
disk and 48" belt for $250 last summer but passed on it. No closed
steel base on the older delta.

Gave 500 new on my JET; use it often. As to the base, it's in the rafters
of the shed, replaced by one which stores my router "table" and is low
enough to provide board clearance in my small shop. It's blue, but I don't
hold that against it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve knight

On 28 Dec 2005 14:05:57 -0800, "Jay Pique"
I've got just the ShopVac for it. I really hope it sucks.

As an update, I did indeed purchase the sander....for $300.

JP

it will not do a good job. this is a great sander but it sucks about
sawdust removal. the internal airflow is not good at all. I did some
mods so I have a hose on each part.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes
Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve knight

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 04:13:29 GMT, max wrote:

I had the Jet machine. I wouldn't buy it again. You can get a used Delta or
Rockwell in the $250 to $400 range if you are persistent and act fast. The
cast iron platen on the Jet was soft and it was no longer flat. There were
divots and valleys which made it difficult to use. The belt tensioner is
very simple but the belt wondered. The motor went bad during the warranty
period so they replaced the unit. It went bad 3 years later. It didn't have
much use. I picked up a 30 year old Delta and it is still going strong.
max

you need to use protection on the platen. graphite pad works great.
this is typical and I would not see any steel but a hardened surface
lasting long. even some 0-1 hardened to rc 62 wears under the belt.
at first the belt wandered on mine but then it settled down. Jet sent
me new spring plates but then it stopped.
motor flaws are a random thing for sure. mine has run for hours at
a time and gets a huge amount of abuse. plus the jet motor is sealed
so you can grind steel with it. can't do that on the delta.