Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Inlay help

I'm constructing a patio table and need help with a procedure. Drawing
posted on APBW. I have a hexagon frame out of 10" x 2.5" cedar. that has
been cut but not biscuited and glued yet. I am going to inlay/insert a
large red cedar burl (2.5" thick) into it. The burl has been routed with a
large straight bit leaving a perpendicular winding "shape" on the outside.
My thought is to dry assemble the cedar frame, place the cedar burl on top,
mark the outline and then "route" the cedra frome to allow the burl to sit
inside. I'm unsure if I should firgue out a way to template this
beforehand, route it freehand?, or what, anyone have any ideas? thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 20:06:01 GMT, mcgyver wrote:
I'm constructing a patio table and need help with a procedure. Drawing
posted on APBW. I have a hexagon frame out of 10" x 2.5" cedar. that has
been cut but not biscuited and glued yet. I am going to inlay/insert a
large red cedar burl (2.5" thick) into it. The burl has been routed with a
large straight bit leaving a perpendicular winding "shape" on the outside.
My thought is to dry assemble the cedar frame, place the cedar burl on top,
mark the outline and then "route" the cedra frome to allow the burl to sit
inside. I'm unsure if I should firgue out a way to template this
beforehand, route it freehand?, or what, anyone have any ideas? thanks

I'd freehand the initial pass on a template - MDF seems suitable. It
avoids a possible "accident" with the real top, and you can finesse the
cutout to obtain the fit you want. Then use the template to cut the
actual table top.

--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just had a thought on this project...what's going to prevent it from blowing
apart with wood movement? Dous anyone have an idea how to go about doing
this without having it blow apart?