Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Using a circle cutter freehand

I know don't do it.

But I was planning on drilling a pilot hole though a wall. Then replacing
the pilot drill with a long metal rod, so that two pilot holes would keep
the rod straight.

I'd have to replace the first pilot hole I drilled out, so That I still had
two when drilling the other side. Hole size is 5" and material is drywall on
one side and some kind of fibreboard on the other.

Anyone tried this?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Stock wrote:
| I know don't do it.
|
| But I was planning on drilling a pilot hole though a wall. Then
| replacing the pilot drill with a long metal rod, so that two pilot
| holes would keep the rod straight.
|
| I'd have to replace the first pilot hole I drilled out, so That I
| still had two when drilling the other side. Hole size is 5" and
| material is drywall on one side and some kind of fibreboard on the
| other.
|
| Anyone tried this?

If you're talking about a fly cutter, then I'll be proud to nominate
you for a 2007 Darwin Award (Woodworking Division).

If you're talking about a hole saw, then you may be able to use some
type of drill guide with a long bit to drill both pilot holes.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 3, 8:02 pm, "Morris Dovey" wrote:

If you're talking about a fly cutter, then I'll be proud to nominate
you for a 2007 Darwin Award (Woodworking Division).

Yup... let's mount a bar with a sharp end onto a bigger bar with an
attachment and mount the whole contraption and spin the sucker at 300
(the usual minimum speed on a drill press) and then feed it into a
piece of material, which usually isn't clamped down and sell the whole
killer tool combo for $ 9,99 to the great unwashed, who don't have a
clue.
People who SELL those things should be liable.

Better yet... let's screw one onto a radial arm saw!!!

I forgot who said this, but:

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has its
limits.

BTW.. does anybody here remember that triagular saw blade for a
circular saw, so you could turn corners whilst cutting panels etc???

Posted to rec.woodworking

BTW.. does anybody here remember that triagular saw blade for a
circular saw, so you could turn corners whilst cutting panels etc???

Are you serious about this? That sounds too wierd to be true.

Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 18:06:27 -0700, marc rosen
wrote:

BTW.. does anybody here remember that triagular saw blade for a
circular saw, so you could turn corners whilst cutting panels etc???

Are you serious about this? That sounds too wierd to be true.

It's true, I had one. I think it came as a freebie with something
else. As I recall it went directly into the trash.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

BTW.. does anybody here remember that triagular saw blade for a
circular saw, so you could turn corners whilst cutting panels etc???

Are you serious about this? That sounds too wierd to be true.

It's true, I had one. I think it came as a freebie with something
else. As I recall it went directly into the trash.

I clearly recall TV ads.
I'm not a bit surprised that product faded into obscurity...lawyers
and all...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
marc rosen wrote:

BTW.. does anybody here remember that triagular saw blade for a
circular saw, so you could turn corners whilst cutting panels etc???

Are you serious about this? That sounds too wierd to be true.

Marc

I do! I do!. I would describe the blade as shaped like a shallow bowl or
like the bell found on a fire alarm. It usually required removing
or modifying the circular saw guard to be mounted. By varying the depth
of cut and bevel angle of the saw, curves of different radius could
be cut.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

BTW.. does anybody here remember that triagular saw blade for a
circular saw, so you could turn corners whilst cutting panels etc???

Had forgotten it till you jogged my memory with your post.

Got some swamp land in Arizona to talk about if you are a candidate for
a triangular saw blade.grin

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Stock wrote:
I know don't do it.

But I was planning on drilling a pilot hole though a wall. Then replacing
the pilot drill with a long metal rod, so that two pilot holes would keep
the rod straight.

I'd have to replace the first pilot hole I drilled out, so That I still had
two when drilling the other side. Hole size is 5" and material is drywall on
one side and some kind of fibreboard on the other.

Anyone tried this?

I am assuming here that you are talking about using a shallow can-shaped
holesaw. They almost always use a 1/4" drill bit for a centering
device. You certainly should be able to do exactly what you are
talking about, considering your medium is drywall.

Drill a pilot hole thru both sides of the stud cavity .. .. replace the
drill on the hole-saw assembly with a 6"-7" piece of 1/4" smooth rod ..
... place the 1/4" guide now attached to the hole-saw thru both guide
holes, and drill away. A hole-saw will NOT be any hazard used in this
manner drilling an aligned hole in drywall. People do it all the time
for dryer ducts, dust collector ducting, etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

another slick approach is a rotozip- or just buy the rotozip cutter
and use it in a laminate trimmer or small router. set it up with a
circle cutter/ trammel base and have at it. it'll do a very nice job
on the drywall and fiberstuff, but not the studs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 19:56:22 -0400, Bill Stock wrote:
I know don't do it.

But I was planning on drilling a pilot hole though a wall. Then
replacing the pilot drill with a long metal rod, so that two pilot
holes would keep the rod straight.

I'd have to replace the first pilot hole I drilled out, so That I
still had two when drilling the other side. Hole size is 5" and
material is drywall on one side and some kind of fibreboard on the
other.

Anyone tried this?

You mean one of the "fly cutter" type circle cutters?

I tried that freehand, once. It didn't work out too well.

I'd think that in drywall, which is quite soft, the pilot would enlarge
the pilot hole as the cutter imparts a lateral force on the pilot (you
can easily experience this by chucking up the cutter in your hand drill
and spinning it at low speed). It might be less of an issue with a
smooth rod, but I do think it would be a problem.

Can't you find a hole saw the proper size?

--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 3, 7:56 pm, "Bill Stock" wrote:
drilling a pilot hole though a wall

Hoe Depot sells a circle cutter designed for installing recessed
lighting fixtures in drywall ceilings. But the Rotozip/trammel
approach is also viable. I suspect your concern is to get the tow
openings parallel one to the other (hence the idea of drilling the
pilot hole through both surfaces in one go. If you use th trammel
approach, this "one go" pilot hole should serve, but it might be
better to use a smaller (1/8") bit unless you can replace the little
RotoZip Trammel guide pin with a 1/4" guide.

(as someone else commented) Let us know how it goes.