Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Looking for lumber, Wichita KS

I've finally gotten something of a shop set up and can start working
wood. The only problem is I know of several home improvement stores
locally but haven't run into a good lumber yard. So I'm asking for
input on where I can get hardwood lumber from someone knowledgable.

thanks

ron

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've finally gotten something of a shop set up and can start working
wood. The only problem is I know of several home improvement stores
locally but haven't run into a good lumber yard. So I'm asking for
input on where I can get hardwood lumber from someone knowledgable.

thanks

ron

Try this web site

www.woodfinder.com

Oughta be able to find something there.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

The Davenport's wrote:

I've finally gotten something of a shop set up and can start working
wood. The only problem is I know of several home improvement stores
locally but haven't run into a good lumber yard. So I'm asking for
input on where I can get hardwood lumber from someone knowledgable.

thanks

ron

Try this web site

www.woodfinder.com

Oughta be able to find something there.

Mike

I did. At 125 miles away, I'd kinda like not to have to drive that far.
But thanks for the link.

ron

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 30 May 2007 17:56:01 GMT, r payne
wrote:

I've finally gotten something of a shop set up and can start working
wood. The only problem is I know of several home improvement stores
locally but haven't run into a good lumber yard. So I'm asking for
input on where I can get hardwood lumber from someone knowledgable.

thanks

ron

Good luck. If you find any nearby, let me know.

About 5 years ago, I ordered a load of FAS 4/4 red and white oak and
ash from Tompkinsville, Ky. At the time, even with freight, it was
less expensive than anything I could find around here. Still using
from that, so I've not been looking for any since.

DAGS and found this link: http://tinyurl.com/3d6nc9 most of which seem
to be hardwood flooring contractors, but, from the names, some could
be possible hardwood suppliers.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

There are a few around but no one place is best for all species of hardwood.
If you are looking for something specific drop me a note and I may be able
to help. One place that in the past has had some good material is Papa's
Wood shop their phone number is 265-6608.
Earl Creel

"r payne" wrote in message
I've finally gotten something of a shop set up and can start working
wood. The only problem is I know of several home improvement stores
locally but haven't run into a good lumber yard. So I'm asking for
input on where I can get hardwood lumber from someone knowledgable.

thanks

ron

Posted to rec.woodworking

Earl Creel wrote:

There are a few around but no one place is best for all species of hardwood.
If you are looking for something specific drop me a note and I may be able
to help. One place that in the past has had some good material is Papa's
Wood shop their phone number is 265-6608.
Earl Creel

Thanks. I'm not really looking for anything specific right at this moment, but
shortly (couple of weeks) I've got a few projects to do. I just am not
impressed with what is in the big box stores and really prefer to shop in local
stores. Most of the stuff I'm intersted in is domestice hardwoods; maple,
walnut, cherry, oak etc. I have some running to do tomorrow I'll check out
Papa's and if there are any others you think I should check out feel free to
mention them (I doubt they'd object to free ads )

Again thanks

ron

Posted to rec.woodworking

WD wrote:

On Wed, 30 May 2007 21:33:19 -0500, Tom Veatch wrote:

Why not try 181 miles east of Wichita to Kansas City. Liberty Hardwood have
a wide selection of hardwoods lumbers, and cabinet's hardware. They are pretty
cheap too.

http://libertyhardwoodsinc.com/

Unless they deliver cheap, the cost of gas makes driving too expensive. Thanks
anyway.

ron

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On May 30, 12:56 pm, r payne wrote:
I've finally gotten something of a shop set up and can start working
wood. The only problem is I know of several home improvement stores
locally but haven't run into a good lumber yard. So I'm asking for
input on where I can get hardwood lumber from someone knowledgable.

Not any retail outlets I know of but Star Lumber will order from a
local distributor there (I can't recall their name just now). You can
pick up directly from them they're on the south side of town --

I've also bought some material through a small millwork shop -- oh,
phoo! now their name eludes me, too. Down in the downtown
industrial area just a little ways off Central as I recall...they
don't stock a lot except for their own production but will order
special for you for at least reasonable quantities (100 bd-ft I'd
guess would be about as small as they would want to fool with).

Certainly any of the ordinary species are available that way -- last
thing other than the barn siding the mill ran for me was some 5/4 soft
maple. I need to get up there again and bring a stash of various
home, though. I'm in far SW corner so it's a toss-up between Wichita
and Amarillo (actually it's a little closer to Amarillo, but have
family in Wichita so normally go that way for the side benefit).

HTH...I'll try to look up the millwork shop -- they're a good bunch to
know, anyway as they are great folks to deal with...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On May 31, 5:41 pm, dpb wrote:

HTH...I'll try to look up the millwork shop -- they're a good bunch to
know, anyway as they are great folks to deal with...

Holtzen Woodwork
317 N Osage St, Wichita - (316) 262-7070

Timber Products, Inc, on S Custer is the other place I was trying to
think of -- but as noted they're wholesale only so you'll have to go
through Star Lumber or one of the other retail lumberyards.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I've finally gotten something of a shop set up and can start working
wood. The only problem is I know of several home improvement stores
locally but haven't run into a good lumber yard. So I'm asking for
input on where I can get hardwood lumber from someone knowledgable.

Star Lumber Wichita
B & B Lumber Wichita
Fisher Lumber Garden Plain

All of these stock more common species but can order about anything.
Star will likely have a bigger selection with the others close behind.
I personally like the guys at Fisher and they and B&B seem to have a
little better customer service.

If you need something a little out of the ordinary you might try Steve
Lang's Hardwood Supply in Burrton. Burrton is about halfway between
Newton and Hutchinson on highway 50. You might call first to be sure
they sell retail (I believe they do) but we always order through our
company or one of our builders. This is a top flight out-fit and a
very good millwork too. They deliver to Wichita regularly but it's
more fun to drive up there on an afternoon and poke around.

Mike O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Creativewoodworksusa.com sells Red and white oak,Maple, Birch and all
kinds of plywoods they will ship it from Springfield FAS.oak is 2.per
foot

Posted to rec.woodworking

r payne wrote in news:465DBAAE.1BD17BD2
@yahoo.com:

I've finally gotten something of a shop set up and can start working
wood. The only problem is I know of several home improvement stores
locally but haven't run into a good lumber yard. So I'm asking for
input on where I can get hardwood lumber from someone knowledgable.

thanks

ron

I live in Derby. There isn't anything real good in Wichita locally.
Woodsworks west of Oxford has enough selection of 'normal' stuff. They're
nice but far. They don't do special orders - I've asked about quater sawn
oak.

White millworks in Belle Plain has limited selection - I've gotten oak and
oak ply there before. They will special order. Best to call them first to
see if they have it & their hours. It's a family business so they might not
be their when you expect it or they might be when you don't expect it.

NOthing else - Star has stuff but expensive.

Brush & board was THE place but they've been out of business for a long
time.
hope this helps. I'm frustrated also.

Wichita, KS Woodworking Supply RonB Woodworking 7 August 20th 06 07:11 PM
Used Lumber Pious Audio Woodworking 6 June 16th 06 04:20 PM
looking for lumber John Woodworking 5 May 13th 05 01:38 AM
seeking Rockwell 21-100 or Clausing 8520 mill in N. Calif. or Wichita Steve Y. Metalworking 9 July 13th 04 02:50 AM