Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta Shopmaster TS200LS miter slot

So, I've got this Delta TS200LS table saw, and it has a non-standard
miter T-slot. It's just a skooch narrower in both width and height,
but no standard accessories will work.

Anyone know where I can get T-bar to fit this *******, so I can make
my own accessories? I just need something that will slide in the slot
and not pop out.

I already googled and couldn't find anything. I emailed Delta
customer support and haven't heard back. Also, I couldn't find any
accessories for this model on Delta's web site, so I don't think
they're using a non-standard track to force you to buy their stuff.
I'm considering buying a replacement miter gage, and cutting up the
bar to use for jigs.

Sheesh! I knew that this was an inexpensive unit, but does custom
T-channel really cost less than the standard stuff?

Thanks,

--- Chip

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chip Buchholtz wrote:
So, I've got this Delta TS200LS table saw, and it has a non-standard
miter T-slot. It's just a skooch narrower in both width and height,
but no standard accessories will work.

Anyone know where I can get T-bar to fit this *******, so I can make
my own accessories? I just need something that will slide in the slot
and not pop out.

snip

Why not make your own runners?

Easy, if you have a planer.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
: Anyone know where I can get T-bar to fit this *******, so I can make
: my own accessories? I just need something that will slide in the slot
: and not pop out.

: Why not make your own runners?

: Easy, if you have a planer.

Don't have a planer. Also, for hold-downs and some other things I'd
prefer something that won't pop vertically out of the slot. I've got
some leftover 1/4 x 1 that I could probably hand plane down to the
right thickness, and I suppose I could make T-shaped runners to fit
the T-slot by routing little rabbets on the sides.

More trouble than I wanted, but it probably builds character.

Here's a crazy idea: Can I use a PC 690 router on aluminum? Maybe I
can cut the slots to a standard size. I'm guessing woodworking bits
wouldn't work so well on aluminum, though.

--- Chip
Posted to rec.woodworking

Chip Buchholtz wrote:

| Here's a crazy idea: Can I use a PC 690 router on aluminum? Maybe I
| can cut the slots to a standard size. I'm guessing woodworking bits
| wouldn't work so well on aluminum, though.

A less crazy idea: take careful measurements and take them to a local
machinist and pay him to make the guides out of steel. I think you'd
be dollars ahead.

I've routed aluminum (using an end mill at much lower RPM than the 690
can deliver and at a very carefully controlled feed rate) with some
success on a ShopBot, but wouldn't even try it with a hand-held
router.

With the router under computer control, I still needed one hand for
coolant (WD-40 aerosol can) and one hand for the compressed air nozzle
(to clear the chips). I broke three carbide end mills in the process
of getting the spindle and feed speeds right. You /might/ do better
but, then again, you might not...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
: A less crazy idea: take careful measurements and take them to a local
: machinist and pay him to make the guides out of steel. I think you'd
: be dollars ahead.

That's a good idea, especially since I happen to have access to a
machine shop complete with machinist.

Thanks aeveryone for the ideas,

--- Chip

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 30 May 2007 15:53:30 +0000 (UTC), "Chip Buchholtz"
wrote:

[...]

Is it new? Take it back. I'd bet a ton that it is not non-standard,
but only defective, that is the chinese factory missed the dimension.
Used a worn out slot cutter. It is not unusual for them to "fix" a
problem by making a batch of undersized miter gage bars to include
with the bad saws.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

Frank Boettcher wrote:

: Sheesh! I knew that this was an inexpensive unit, but does custom
: T-channel really cost less than the standard stuff?

: Is it new? Take it back. I'd bet a ton that it is not non-standard,
: but only defective, that is the chinese factory missed the dimension.
: Used a worn out slot cutter. It is not unusual for them to "fix" a
: problem by making a batch of undersized miter gage bars to include
: with the bad saws.

Unfortunately, not new. I finally got around to making a featherboard
and, Surprise!, none of the hardware works.

I've got a scrap of oak stair tread, and my current plan is to make my
own bar stock using a router table and table saw. If that doesn't
work, I may look into getting a machinist to make some.

Thanks everyone for your ideas,

--- Chip

Delta Shopmaster SM100M JP Woodworking 7 May 31st 07 09:11 PM
Washer for Miter Slot Randy Woodworking 7 April 20th 05 01:49 PM
Miter Slot T-Nuts tillius Woodworking 11 January 7th 05 03:51 AM
Delta Shopmaster compressor CP200 TB Woodworking 1 December 28th 04 03:16 AM
Ridgid TS miter slot and Delta miter gauge? Sammy Woodworking 0 October 4th 03 01:47 PM