Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - you ever do something that, at the time, you have no idea why?

This is OT - but there is woodworking involved.

I like to turn lidded boxes. For some reason I got into "nested" turned
lidded boxes. I don't know why.

And while some like to turn bigger and bigger things - I seem to go
the other way. So I turned a little lidded box - about the diameter
of a dime - I don't, or rather didn't, know why.

It fit nicely into the one I did that was between a nickle and a quarter
in diameter, which in turn fit inside the "biggest one" that was about
the diameter of a silver dollar (even though there's almost no silver
in a "silver dollar" we call them silver dollars. I don't know why)

So anyway I've got the littlest one in maple with a black walnut
finial, the medium sized one in black walnut with a maple finial
and another "big one" , again back to maple with a black walnut
finial. Don't know why.

Heading out the door to do a demonstration of the DOMINO to a
wood phreaks club, I picked up the nested boxes and put them in
my pocket. Don't know why.

A mile from where I was going - and going uphill of course - smoke
started coming from somewhere and I was getting no power to the
wheels - not good when driving up a hill. And without power, the
power brakes and power stearing stopped being powered. Don't
know why (but I suspect I blew the tranny - or the head - the latter
being less expensive but I'm betting it'll be the tranny).

So it's pushing 7 pm, I'm a mile or so from the nearest phone
sitting in a lane of traffic - with no power. (I don't have a cell
phone. I don't know why.)

While I'm popping the hood to see if I need to figure out how
to put out a fire - a car pulls up behind me - blinkers on -
and a young woman, in a tae kwon do "gee" gets out and
says "Need a hand?" I don't know why.

She HAD a cell phone and I called Triple A while she directed
a bunch of women cyclist around us. The "leader of this
group starts yelling at ME for creating a hazardous
condition for her cycling team. I don't know why.

The kindness and helpfulness of the woman in the gee more
than countered The Yeller. I do know why.

The gee lady offered to give me a ride to where I was going
and then I knew why I'd put the nested lidded boxes in
my pocket, even though, at the time I didn't know why.

Her kindness was rewarded - in a little way - and I made
it to the meeting and did my demo - since AAA wasn't going
to get out to tow my van for "at least a couple of hours".
I don't know why.

Conclusion: Sometimes when you do something for no
apparent reason but Don't Know Why - wait a little
while and the reason may become clear. I don't know
why.

I do know that for every ass hole on the planet, there are
a couple of thousand angels. And I smile when I get reminded
of that. I don't know why.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote

The gee lady offered to give me a ride to where I was going
and then I knew why I'd put the nested lidded boxes in
my pocket, even though, at the time I didn't know why.

I am sure she appreciated the gifts Charlie. That was a classy thing to do.

How did the Domino demo go?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie,

I needed this message.

A Lot

Thank you.

A Lot

Mike, Brisbane Qld
(Who deals with a lot of assholes on a daily basis - and gets down
sometimes.)

"charlieb" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 May 2007 23:20:31 -0700, charlieb
wrote:

Nice.

This is OT - but there is woodworking involved.

[snipped]

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
[...]

I'm glad you made it. I don't know why.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

The reason they call it the American
Dream is because you have to be asleep
to believe it. --George

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
This is OT - but there is woodworking involved.

Nice story Charlieb.

Now, if you lost power and lost power steering and or brakes too, it was
the motor not the transmission that was the problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

How did the Domino demo go?

Well, other than the fact the the four legs, four apron parts,
four stretcher parts AND the sample leg with apron and stretcher
joined were left in my abandoned van - pretty well. I'd dropped off
everything else earlier - dust extractor (that's a vacuum cleaner)
the two DOMINO Systainers, extension cord, 4 page hand outs of
stuff I already had on my DOMINO web pages, a 4 tenoned mitered
2x4 joint - and the thing I'm working on now - 2x4 joined to 4x4 with
3/4" x 8" joined to the 2x4 - thin face.

I had 15 minutes, probably went 20 minutes, and out of 25 or so
people, had 5 or 6 questions and two guys wanted to talk some
more after the demo.

I'd like to think that my demo was so clear and thorough that
there was nothing left to ask about since it'd been covered
in the demo. Not being that egotistical, or dumb, I suspect
most of the audience saw "biscuit joiner" and tuned out all
my repeating "this is NOT a biscuit joiner" - that and the
fact that there are so many controllable variables, with
4, 5 or 6 options for each one you just can't go over all
of them without a big white board or a couple of LCD
displays connected to a computer.

I DID get acrossed the fact that - using the retractable
"stop pins" and the "outriggers" ,you can do a lot with the
DOMINO without ANY layout and a minimum of set up
- AND that this thing is FAST and accurate.

Mike Richardson wrote:

Charlie,

I needed this message.

A Lot

Thank you.

A Lot

Mike, Brisbane Qld
(Who deals with a lot of assholes on a daily basis - and gets down
sometimes.)

And that's why I posted it. You don't hear or read much about
all the good things that happen everyday, everywhere, or about
all the helpful friendly people who lend a hand when they can
without giving it much thought. It doesn't take any real effort
to be kind and helpful - even when dealing with assholes (and
though it may **** them off at the time - LATER just maybe
something will sink in to their subconscious and reduce their
ass holeness (?) - maybejust a little.

Oh - and it wasn't a blown transimission or a blown head.
Turns out the guys who designed the Ford AeroStar AWD
transmission were pretty damn smart. The problem was
a transmisson fluid filter. Rather than a mesh filter they
used a micron filter. They built in a Warning Sign to let
you know when that filter gets plugged up. When it does,
tranny fluid shoots out of a safety line and sprays it
on the van's rear window - where you might notice it -
before the tranny stops working. Flushing the tranny
and it's fluid cooler/radiator was $286 and change -
instead of $3000 and a few jundred bucks. Thank you
guys - whoever you are.

and Gerald Ross wrote:

I'm glad you made it. I don't know why.

Those black Baptist ministers sure know how to
repeat a phrase with good effect. Think "I have
a dream" and not think of Dr. Martin Luther King.

and Leon wrote:

Nice story Charlieb.

Now, if you lost power and lost power steering and or brakes too, it was
the motor not the transmission that was the problem.

If by "story" you mean "made up fairy tale type thing" - this
actually happened - to me - last night (Tuesday, May 22,
2007),

You're right. But when you see smoke coming out of your
vehicle isn't one of the first things to do is turn off
the ignition switch?

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
A mile from where I was going - and going uphill of course - smoke
started coming from somewhere and I was getting no power to the
wheels - not good when driving up a hill. And without power, the
power brakes and power stearing stopped being powered. Don't
know why (but I suspect I blew the tranny - or the head - the latter
being less expensive but I'm betting it'll be the tranny).

Conclusion: Sometimes when you do something for no
apparent reason but Don't Know Why - wait a little
while and the reason may become clear. I don't know
why.

Good story and I do know why.

I had a similar situation about 15 years ago. I was going to meet someone at
the Amsterdam exit of the NY Thruway and go with him to see a customer. It
was a few hours from home and only a 20-30 minute visit with the customer so
I asked my wife to go with me. We were sitting at the exit waiting to meet
the other fellow and we were watching the traffic. A tow truck went by us
and I remarked about the colors. Many colors, quite laughable, we thought.

Minutes later, we met my associate and we were on the other side of town
heading up a hell. Suddenly, loss of power, smoke, etc. Car was dead. I
called an Oldsmobile dealer for help and he sent a tow truck. You can guess
which one. He towed us to the dealer, dropped us at a hotel. Lesson
learned: Never make fun of the paint scheme of a tow truck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , charlieb
wrote:

Conclusion: Sometimes when you do something for no
apparent reason but Don't Know Why - wait a little
while and the reason may become clear. I don't know
why.

I do know that for every ass hole on the planet, there are
a couple of thousand angels. And I smile when I get reminded
of that. I don't know why.

Really?

I know why.

;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:

| Conclusion: Sometimes when you do something for no
| apparent reason but Don't Know Why - wait a little
| while and the reason may become clear. I don't know
| why.

Sure you do - you just didn't know the nomenclature.

It's called "deja do". 8-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 22, my friend, buisness partner,
and I were riding our Harleys (1999 Harley-Davidson FLS)
that we bought at the same time, to a business meeting.
He left about 1 min. before I did.
1/2 mile down the road I found him dead.
An SUV was passing him as he turned left into the driveway
of our shop and killed him instantly.

I stayed at the restaurant to pay the bill.

What if he had stayed and used the same company
Visa card as I had to pay the bill.

Would I be typing this now?

Posted to rec.woodworking

pumis wrote:

On Tuesday, May 22, my friend, buisness partner,
and I were riding our Harleys (1999 Harley-Davidson FLS)
that we bought at the same time, to a business meeting.
He left about 1 min. before I did.
1/2 mile down the road I found him dead.
An SUV was passing him as he turned left into the driveway
of our shop and killed him instantly.

I stayed at the restaurant to pay the bill.

What if he had stayed and used the same company
Visa card as I had to pay the bill.

Would I be typing this now?

Ass holes and Angels.

A disproportionate number of the former drove cadillacs,
then mercedes and now it seems - SUVs.

Bikers have one thing to protect them - maneuverability
(sp?) - but only to get around what's ahead.

Sorry for the loss of your friend. I guess if you've got
to go, going while doing something you love to do . . .

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

"pumis" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Tuesday, May 22, my friend, buisness partner,
and I were riding our Harleys (1999 Harley-Davidson FLS)
that we bought at the same time, to a business meeting.
He left about 1 min. before I did.
1/2 mile down the road I found him dead.
An SUV was passing him as he turned left into the driveway
of our shop and killed him instantly.

I stayed at the restaurant to pay the bill.

What if he had stayed and used the same company
Visa card as I had to pay the bill.

Would I be typing this now?

Sorry to hear about you partner.

2 things about Harleys, one good, one bad.

Typically motorists can hear the Harley rider coming up from behind.
Typically the Harley rider cannot hear motorists coming up from behind.