Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wiring for the Grizzly 1023SL Help

I need to run a 20 amp 240V line to the garage for the new 1023SL. I
have wiring experience having finished my basement and run numerous
circuits for lighting, outlets, etc. Wiring for 240 doesnt look any
more difficult than 120, just more wires correct? I need to purchase a
plug for the saw and a matching outlet along with breakers. What about
the wire? With a 20 amp circuit do I pull two 12g wires or is there a
dedicated insulated wire with four leads?

Matt

Posted to rec.woodworking

Matt wrote:
I need to run a 20 amp 240V line to the garage for the new 1023SL. I
have wiring experience having finished my basement and run numerous
circuits for lighting, outlets, etc. Wiring for 240 doesnt look any
more difficult than 120, just more wires correct? I need to purchase a
plug for the saw and a matching outlet along with breakers. What about
the wire? With a 20 amp circuit do I pull two 12g wires or is there a
dedicated insulated wire with four leads?

You don't need more wires. For pure 240V circuits you have two hots and
a ground, no neutral.

Assuming 20A is enough, then you just need to run standard 12-2 romex.
I'd suggest NEMA 6-20 receptacles (which can take both 15A and 20A
plugs), and a 6-20 plug. If you want to get fancy you could use the
twist-lock versions of the above.

I'm a bit uncertain about whether 20A is sufficient though...the manual
says the motor is rated at 18A, which would normally require more than a
20A breaker. Someone with more electrical code knowledge should pipe up
here.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message

You don't need more wires. For pure 240V circuits you have two hots and a
ground, no neutral.

Assuming 20A is enough, then you just need to run standard 12-2 romex. I'd
suggest NEMA 6-20 receptacles (which can take both 15A and 20A plugs), and
a 6-20 plug. If you want to get fancy you could use the twist-lock
versions of the above.

I'm a bit uncertain about whether 20A is sufficient though...the manual
says the motor is rated at 18A, which would normally require more than a
20A breaker. Someone with more electrical code knowledge should pipe up
here.

Chris

What Chris said regarding the wiring. Regarding the breaker, you are
correct, it is a 20A per the instruction manual. I too thought that might
be a bit small but I have yet to trip mine.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Matt" wrote in message
I need to run a 20 amp 240V line to the garage for the new 1023SL. I
have wiring experience having finished my basement and run numerous
circuits for lighting, outlets, etc. Wiring for 240 doesnt look any
more difficult than 120, just more wires correct? I need to purchase a
plug for the saw and a matching outlet along with breakers. What about
the wire? With a 20 amp circuit do I pull two 12g wires or is there a
dedicated insulated wire with four leads?

What Chris said...

That said, I prefer to pull 10/2 when installing 220 circuits in the shop
.... that way if I want to upgrade that circuit for another tool, the wire is
already there.

One other thing to watch for: if your panel/sub-panel takes half height
breakers, make sure that you use a slot for the 220 c'brkr that spans both
hot legs ... you'd be surprised how many electrician's fail to do that on
occasion.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 22, 4:11 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Matt" wrote in message
[...]

Can you explain what you mean regarding the slot for the brkr that
spans both hot legs? I was going to duplicate the wiring for the dryer
and range.

Matt

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com, Matt wrote:

Can you explain what you mean regarding the slot for the brkr that
spans both hot legs? I was going to duplicate the wiring for the dryer
and range.

The best way for you to understand that is to go to your favorite hardware
store or home center, and take a look at one of the breaker boxes on display,
that doesn't have any breakers in it. You'll see immediately.

--
Regards,