Posted to rec.woodworking
D J D J is offline

Default Good router bits?

Folks,

I want to make some raised panel cabinets.

Any suggestions on the router bits. Some of them cost fortune, which I
don't want.

I checked ebay for used ones, but can't trust.

thanks,
DJ

Posted to rec.woodworking

Any suggestions on the router bits. Some of them cost fortune, which I
don't want.

Fine Woodworking just did a comparison article - check your local
library or bookstore.
According to my own limited experience, Infinitytools.com is a good
source for reasonably-priced and high-quality bits.
MLCSwoodworking.com has great prices, free shipping, great customer
service, and their bits are pretty good quality (much better than the
$1/ea eBay import specials, but not quite as good as the higher-end
pro bits).
Also, search the archives here - this has been discussed before.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 21, 1:44 pm, D J wrote:
Folks,

I want to make some raised panel cabinets.

Any suggestions on the router bits. Some of them cost fortune, which I
don't want.

I checked ebay for used ones, but can't trust.

thanks,
DJ

When I bought this set it was about $40, may have been a sale, anyway
they worked fine for the Poplar frame and MDF panels I made. Came
with a few washers to fine tune the fit.

http://www.holbren.com/product.php?p...&cat=30&page=1

YMMV

Posted to rec.woodworking
D J D J is offline

On May 21, 1:44 pm, D J wrote:
Folks,

I want to make some raised panel cabinets.

Any suggestions on the router bits. Some of them cost fortune, which I
don't want.

I checked ebay for used ones, but can't trust.

thanks,
DJ

I can see there are three more messages, but don't get to read them..
something wrong?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"D J" wrote in message
ps.com...
Folks,

I want to make some raised panel cabinets.

Any suggestions on the router bits. Some of them cost fortune, which I
don't want.

Nothing is more expensive than a cheap bit that will damage the wood. Go
with any of hte decent brand names like Infinity, Freud, Whiteside, etc.

Check www.infinitytools.com and www.routerbits.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"D J" wrote in message
ps.com...
Folks,

I want to make some raised panel cabinets.

Any suggestions on the router bits. Some of them cost fortune, which I
don't want.

I checked ebay for used ones, but can't trust.

thanks,
DJ

Buy the most expensive "name brand" than you feel comfortable with spending
money on. I prefer CMT, Amana, the old Jesada, and Infinity, in that order.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"D J" wrote in message
ps.com...
Folks,

I want to make some raised panel cabinets.

Any suggestions on the router bits. Some of them cost fortune, which I
don't want.

I checked ebay for used ones, but can't trust.

thanks,
DJ

DJ,

While not an expert at woodworking, I have been building stuff outta wood
for 30+ years. (Most of what I do would be classified by the more talented
members of this group as either finish carpentry or "craft" quality.) That
being said, I have been using routers for nearly 30 years.

Last year I found a company called Woodline USA
(http://store.woodline.com/). Fair prices- especially if you but some of
their sets. *Excellent* customer service. I damaged a carbide tipped bit
due to MY negligence, and they replaced it at no cost. Didn't even charge
me shipping! Now THAT's customer service. :)

Not affiliated with, yada, yada, yada, and all the other disclaimers.

Gary Kasten
St. Peters, MO

Posted to rec.woodworking

"D J" wrote:

I want to make some raised panel cabinets.

Any suggestions on the router bits.

snip

As Leon suggested, stay with the majors, buy the best you can afford.

Trying to cut corners on cutting tools is strictly false economy, IMHO.

SFWIW, have used a couple of Infinity bits, they work for me.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

D J wrote:
Folks,

I want to make some raised panel cabinets.

Any suggestions on the router bits. Some of them cost fortune, which I
don't want.

I checked ebay for used ones, but can't trust.

thanks,
DJ

Lee Valley has good quality bits, not too expensive.

www.leevalley.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On May 21, 12:44 pm, D J wrote:
Folks,

I want to make some raised panel cabinets.

Any suggestions on the router bits. Some of them cost fortune, which I
don't want.

I checked ebay for used ones, but can't trust.

Used you don't want unless you just happen to find another "one-timer"
who bought the Amana or another top-quality set and built one set of
kitchen cabinets and then you probably wouldn't save that much anyway
from what I've seen watching auctions in the past.

I agree w/ the others that it's a false economy in the larger
picture. It depends also in part on what you're making the cabinets
from -- if it's a softwood, you may get by w/ a lesser bit, but if you
are using a fine hardwood and particularly anything w/ any grain
characteristics at all, you want the best and sharpest bit you can
find.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 21, 12:44 pm, D J wrote:
Folks,

I want to make some raised panel cabinets.

Any suggestions on the router bits. Some of them cost fortune, which I
don't want.

I checked ebay for used ones, but can't trust.

Used you don't want unless you just happen to find another "one-timer"
who bought the Amana or another top-quality set and built one set of
kitchen cabinets and then you probably wouldn't save that much anyway
from what I've seen watching auctions in the past.

I agree w/ the others that it's a false economy in the larger
picture. It depends also in part on what you're making the cabinets
from -- if it's a softwood, you may get by w/ a lesser bit, but if you
are using a fine hardwood and particularly anything w/ any grain
characteristics at all, you want the best and sharpest bit you can
find.

Check out Woodline bits. If they're good enough for Sam Maloof they are
good enough for me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote in message
m...

Check out Woodline bits. If they're good enough for Sam Maloof they are
good enough for me.

You realize that they pay him to use their bits, don't you?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"Dave" wrote in message
m...

Check out Woodline bits. If they're good enough for Sam Maloof they are
good enough for me.

You realize that they pay him to use their bits, don't you?

I don't think a perfectionist such as he would use junk no matter what he is
paid.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote in message

I don't think a perfectionist such as he would use junk no matter what he
is paid.

Sam Maloof is a great woodworker but absolutely NOT a perfectionist. He
freehands a lot of his of his work. Supporting a product, good or bad is
not going to harm his reputation.

Tiger Woods promotes Buick. Being the multi millionaire that he is I
seriously doubt he owns a fleet of Buicks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

Used you don't want unless you just happen to find another ....

That's the fourth copy of this message. all at different times. Do you have a
slow stutter or is gmail having problems?

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 22, 10:23 am, dpb wrote:
On May 21, 12:44 pm, D J wrote:

Folks,

I want to make some raised panel cabinets.

Any suggestions on the router bits. Some of them cost fortune, which I
don't want.

I checked ebay for used ones, but can't trust.

Used you don't want unless you just happen to find another "one-timer"
who bought the Amana or another top-quality set and built one set of
kitchen cabinets and then you probably wouldn't save that much anyway
from what I've seen watching auctions in the past.

I agree w/ the others that it's a false economy in the larger
picture. It depends also in part on what you're making the cabinets
from -- if it's a softwood, you may get by w/ a lesser bit, but if you
are using a fine hardwood and particularly anything w/ any grain
characteristics at all, you want the best and sharpest bit you can
find.

Mine are the CMT raised panel sets. They have provided good service
through several kitchens many types of hardwood and plywood. (the
Cabinet Maker's set comes with a t&g set for the backs and side
panels)
I have several MLCS Katana bits and a few Amanas and I'd say that
their quality is "good" but not excellent. The Woodline bits I have
were/are unsatisfactory. Worse than Crapsman and Hickory! (HD sells
Hickory)
As always, YMMV.

Gene