Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Steel City Drill Press. I like it.

I've had this DP for about six months. Used it several times but until
this project I hadn't really put it through its paces.

It's this cradle:
http://www.cherrytreetoys.com/prodin...em=11&mitem=15

The headboards require 13 holes in each of four pieces at precise
angles. I've done that sort of thing with other drill presses but I
was pleasantly surprised how fast it was with this machine. Because it
has a spindle lock, I was able to lock it down and eyeball the angle
while I used both hands to tilt the table. Because it has a six-inch
quill travel, I was able to go from top piece to bottom piece without
changing the table height. Because the depth stop had a quick-release
and fine tuning I was able to quickly reset the stops for each set of
holes from piece to piece. I know those things can be found on other
DP's but until this weekend, I didn't think I'd appreciate all those
as much as I do now that I've used 'em and seen what it means to time
saved and aggravation missed.

One way I measure a tool is whether I ever step back and grin at it
just because it's fun to use and this Saturday, I patted myself on the
back. I like this drill. :-)

Oh, and no it doesn't have a laser on it.