Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How is lumber graded

Had a visit on Monday to a local Mill and I'm wondering if someone can
explain to me how lumber is graded? From what I've seen over the years
different people are grading wood differently. Whats the rules for grading.
I'm specifically looking at pine and cedar for now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...oogle+Se arch

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

As always, it "depends" on which lumber at what mill...

Hardwood and it's relatives are graded differently from
softwoods.

http://www.sizes.com/materls/lumberSoft.htm
http://www.softwood.org/species%20&%...web/EN/S&G.htm
http://www.natlhardwood.org/inspection.asp?userid=

That last link will allow you download the "grading rules"

To make things more interesting, most manufactured
stuff is graded an entirely different way.(plywood,mdf,etc,etc)

http://www.awi-wa.com/_hidden/apagrades.htm

Used Lumber Pious Audio Woodworking 6 June 16th 06 04:20 PM
lumber Anthony DeLuca Woodworking 14 March 6th 06 01:04 AM
Friend Lumber? [email protected] Home Repair 2 January 26th 06 03:41 PM
Sycamore Lumber ? Gus Woodworking 22 October 21st 05 12:13 PM
looking for lumber John Woodworking 5 May 13th 05 01:38 AM