Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Shop floor...epoxy coat

I am replacing my workshop floor. Currently there are very old tiles
with lots of thick black glue on the bottom. Some of the tiles pick up
the glue when scraped, other times the glue stays on the floor...I
want to apply the garage epoxy coat to the floor once i've got all the
tile up. My question is will the epoxy coat stick or do I need to
remove the glue??? It is alot of work just pulling the tile....Hoping
someone has tried it over glue with good results..

Thanks in advance.. -Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am replacing my workshop floor. Currently there are very old tiles
with lots of thick black glue on the bottom. Some of the tiles pick up
the glue when scraped, other times the glue stays on the floor...I
want to apply the garage epoxy coat to the floor once i've got all the
tile up. My question is will the epoxy coat stick or do I need to
remove the glue??? It is alot of work just pulling the tile....Hoping
someone has tried it over glue with good results..

Thanks in advance.. -Joe

You should take a look at the Rustoleum web site. I was looking at that
product a week ago . There is probably an answer to your question there.
There was a lot of.... if your floor has had this done to it or that on it
etc, etc, this product is not recommended... yada yada yada. Made me decide
to just redo the floor in tile again at work. I think the web site is
something you should take a look at and decide for yourself.
Good luck with it.
Dang it must be the sometimers kicking in, it may have been on the product
box where I read that.
Well good luck anyways.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

--
"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am replacing my workshop floor. Currently there are very old tiles
with lots of thick black glue on the bottom. Some of the tiles pick up
the glue when scraped, other times the glue stays on the floor...I
want to apply the garage epoxy coat to the floor once i've got all the
tile up. My question is will the epoxy coat stick or do I need to
remove the glue??? It is alot of work just pulling the tile....Hoping
someone has tried it over glue with good results..

Thanks in advance.. -Joe

Keep in mind that epoxy is nothing more than fancy paint. Anything on the
floor will show trough the epoxy. Myself? I would be looking to get that
floor pristine before applying the epoxy.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12 May 2007 20:31:57 -0700, Joe
wrote:

I am replacing my workshop floor. Currently there are very old tiles
with lots of thick black glue on the bottom. Some of the tiles pick up
the glue when scraped, other times the glue stays on the floor...I
want to apply the garage epoxy coat to the floor once i've got all the
tile up. My question is will the epoxy coat stick or do I need to
remove the glue??? It is alot of work just pulling the tile....Hoping
someone has tried it over glue with good results..

Thanks in advance.. -Joe

I put the rustoleum product on my garage floor at the last
house. Prepped with degreaser, muriatic acid and power washer.
Within 6 months it was peeling up where the tires rested and a
few other places. Workshop application may be different.

New house, same prep, ucoatit product - much more expensive. 2
years later I have a quarter sized peel up where I must've
missed the prep work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 May 2007 09:38:11 -0500, "Greg O"
wrote:

I am replacing my workshop floor. Currently there are very old tiles
with lots of thick black glue on the bottom. Some of the tiles pick up
the glue when scraped, other times the glue stays on the floor...I
want to apply the garage epoxy coat to the floor once i've got all the
tile up. My question is will the epoxy coat stick or do I need to
remove the glue??? It is alot of work just pulling the tile....Hoping
someone has tried it over glue with good results..

Thanks in advance.. -Joe

Keep in mind that epoxy is nothing more than fancy paint. Anything on the
floor will show trough the epoxy. Myself? I would be looking to get that
floor pristine before applying the epoxy.
Greg

I am not an expert, but I think that there is a little more to
it. Most paint does not need to have 2 separate parts mixed and
then used within a fixed time. Once mixed, epoxies are a fancy
paint as long as they are usable. I've used the rustoleum &
ucoatit products with wildly different results.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 12, 11:31 pm, Joe wrote:
I am replacing my workshop floor. Currently there are very old tiles
with lots of thick black glue on the bottom. Some of the tiles pick up
the glue when scraped, other times the glue stays on the floor...I
want to apply the garage epoxy coat to the floor once i've got all the
tile up. My question is will the epoxy coat stick or do I need to
remove the glue??? It is alot of work just pulling the tile....Hoping
someone has tried it over glue with good results..

Thanks in advance.. -Joe

They do make a product that is resistant to acids,caustics and oils
base products like gas, acytone ect. when I worked in the metal
plating industry the plant used it on the floors, processing tanks and
drip basons.
The daw back is the cost, over $100/gal.

Posted to rec.woodworking

you need to use heat to remove them both. it will loosen both of them
up and make life easier. a good heat gun or better yet a propane torch
will help out quite a bit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe:

Unfortunately, the epoxy is still just a paint, and like all paints, the end
result is only as good as the preparation work. This means that the floor
has to be cleaned THOROUGHLY. Removing that old black asphalt-base glue can
be a problem, but most flooring supply stores can probably direct you to
citrus-based products that do an amazingly good job of softening and
removing old adhesives. It's still a lot of work, understand, but it's a
lot better than splashing kerosene all around to soften the adhesive.

I've had good luck with the RustOleum products. Note that there are two
different ones available, one for basements/worshops and one for garages.
The one for garages is a bit more expensive, and the only apparent
difference is that the garage product is resistant to sticking to hot tires
and then being pulled off when the car is later moved. I've used both (in
the areas that they're recommended for), and have had no problems thus far
(3-4 years).

BruceT

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am replacing my workshop floor. Currently there are very old tiles
with lots of thick black glue on the bottom. Some of the tiles pick up
the glue when scraped, other times the glue stays on the floor...I
want to apply the garage epoxy coat to the floor once i've got all the
tile up. My question is will the epoxy coat stick or do I need to
remove the glue??? It is alot of work just pulling the tile....Hoping
someone has tried it over glue with good results..

Thanks in advance.. -Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi Joe:

When I build my garage/workshop, I waited for the green concrete to
cure for 4 weeks and etched it with muriatic acid. I applied a 2-part
epoxy paint per instructions (except instructions said I only needed
to wait 2 weeks for green concrete to cure). I used grey for the wood
shop side and black and white checkerboard for the car repair side.
Most of it has held up quite well, but there are a few places where
the paint stuck to tires and pulled up. I don't believe any paint
will really hold up forever. Ironically, I was thinking of removing
the paint and putting down tiles.

Regards,
John.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

update on the shop floor...

It seems the epoxy sticks to the glue on the floor with no problems.
Well, one problem...The epoxy sticks fine to the glue, BUT the glue
layer isn't as hard as the concrete or the epoxy. Dropping items on
the floor is no problem, holds up fine, however pivioting on your feet
will twist the epoxy right off the glue...
I am still hoping that the floor will cure with time. It seems only
the areas where the glue was unusually high are a problem.

Next time I would surely remove the glue first, even if it means
sanding it down to the concrete...

Thanks again for all the help and your kind replies...

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Try a 3500 PSI pressure washer to clean the concrete before laying
down expensive epoxy.

Far better than trying to sand.

Lew

Epoxy Clear Coat Question tacker Home Repair 1 April 11th 06 05:15 PM
Epoxy Floor Joe Home Repair 9 September 24th 05 03:18 AM
Epoxy paint on shop floor---Any good? Metalworking 14 January 28th 05 06:56 AM
Epoxy paint on shop floor---Any good? Metalworking 2 January 25th 05 05:54 PM
epoxy garage floor?? Joseph Meehan Home Repair 3 May 17th 04 11:59 AM