Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mounting ball catches

"Kate" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

I am nearing the end of my Sideboard project and am now getting ready to
mount the hardware on the cabinet doors.

The original catches were a ball catch, but were missing pieces.
I ordered new catches and they're great - just a wee bit smaller than the
originals. That's just fine with me.
I had to fill the existing holes because they had been moved, redrilled,
moved again and replaced about four times. It was a mess. Point being, I
cannot use them for a reference point.

Do any of you know a trick to aligning these for mounting?
I bought the catch marked "B" in the image on this website:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1034

I plan on mounting them on the side, not on the bottom. As I said, there
were a lot of holes and I want a good solid foundation for the mounting
screws.

Thanks in advance,

Use double stick carpet tape to hold the pieces in place until you have the
fit you want. Stick the cabinet side piece where you think it should go
along with the door piece engaged. Put the tape on the door piece also and
close the door. If you have the right "feel", you have the correct
location. If the door does not close, move the cabinet side piece back. If
the door does not stick to the tape move the cabinet piece forward. Then
add the screws.

In the future, "IF" you wait to put in the back panel or glass panels last
you can access the catch through the missing panel hole for proper
placement.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mount the part of the catch with the spring-loaded balls first. You can
use double-sided tape to hold it in place while you pre-drill the screw
holes. Once that part of the catch is secure, place screws in the holes
of the other half of the catch and snap the two halves of the catch
together. Close the door and hit it with your hand. The points of the
screws will leave marks where you need to mount the second half of the
catch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

For what it is worth I would assemble the catch in the closed position on a
flat piece of card or thin ply. Mark all the mounting points including where
the cabinet door and the case edge is and use the card to make a template
and drill for as many catches you desire .

"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

Use double stick carpet tape to hold the pieces in place until you have the
fit you want. Stick the cabinet side piece where you think it should go
along with the door piece engaged. Put the tape on the door piece also and
close the door. If you have the right "feel", you have the correct
location. If the door does not close, move the cabinet side piece back. If
the door does not stick to the tape move the cabinet piece forward. Then
add the screws.

In the future, "IF" you wait to put in the back panel or glass panels last
you can access the catch through the missing panel hole for proper
placement.

**
Thank you Leon,

The doors did not have removable panels. It sure would have made things a
LOT easier!
It's an OLD sideboard that had been bady abused. I am restoring it to a
usable piece for my dining room.
I had to paint most of it because of the damage that it had but it is
looking really good so far.

I was able to retain enough of the pretty walnut to give it nice accents and
it should be a family heirloom when I'm finished... with luck that is.

I love rescuing old things and loving them back into usability (is that a
word ? LOL)

I'll see what I can do with your tips.

Kate

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Posted photos

Posted a couple of photos to
alt.binaries.photographs.woodworking

Kate

Posted to rec.woodworking

Crap
make that:

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Kate

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , er
says...
[...]

Get a couple of scraps with one squared edge, one needs to be exactly as thick
as the door, you may have to plane s.th. down to that if you can't find one.

Close the ballcatch, clamp the two scraps together simulating what it would
look like when the cabinet door is closed, in the position where you want it to
end up (offset, flush). Put the closed ballcatch into position behind and mark
the holes. Now, all you have to do is disassemble the two scraps and measure
back to the marks from the front edge, and you have the final measurements that
you can transfer to the cabinet. Don't forget that you have to allow for the
clearance of the door opening!

-P.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thank you Peter, I will give it a try!

Kate

"Peter Huebner" wrote in message
t...
[...]

need bullet catches Leonard Lopez Woodworking 7 September 29th 05 04:12 AM
Door Latch catches ... David Home Repair 4 September 9th 05 03:56 PM
May all your catches be little ones! Peter Charles Fagg Woodturning 2 December 12th 04 06:11 AM
catches bernie feinerman Woodturning 11 August 17th 04 02:44 AM
Where to find toggle catches for outdoor use [email protected] UK diy 3 May 10th 04 11:29 PM