Posted to rec.woodworking
Ace Ace is offline

Default Making a PC desk (work table)

I have decided to scrap out my PC table (30" x 48") which has a 1 1/4 inch
thick laminated top and weighs a ton. Newer PC's and LCD monitors don't
require this massive monstrosity.

I want to build a replacement from 3/4 plywood and surface it with some
naugahide (sp.???) which I came across in a yard sale a few years ago. As
such, it has no instructions for usage. Specifically what kind of adhesive
would best, and any pitfalls to be aware of.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. My first thought is to use
contact cement, same as for hard laminate. Will this work? By the way, I
intend to 'inlay' a piece laminate as a writing surface.

On the same subject, could anyone suggest a source for the type of hardware
which allows one to secure legs for table using a metal plate, etc. (We
have a coffee table assembled this way, and it is snap to remove legs for
moving, etc)

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge,
Ace

Posted to rec.woodworking

On the same subject, could anyone suggest a source for the type of hardware
which allows one to secure legs for table using a metal plate, etc. (We
have a coffee table assembled this way, and it is snap to remove legs for
moving, etc)

Rockler is usually the first place I look for hardware like that -
several types available at
http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=1507
Lee Valley probably has some also.
I'm not sure about Naugahyde adhesive - contact cement sounds like a
good place to start - I'd try some with scrap and see how it goes.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ace wrote:
I want to build a replacement from 3/4 plywood and surface it with some
naugahide (sp.???) which I came across in a yard sale a few years ago. As
such, it has no instructions for usage. Specifically what kind of adhesive
would best, and any pitfalls to be aware of.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. My first thought is to use
contact cement, same as for hard laminate. Will this work? By the way, I
intend to 'inlay' a piece laminate as a writing surface.

Auto parts stores ought to sell some spray adhesive normally used to secure
headliners in cars. It seems like that product would be just what you need.
BTW, aside from it being in spray form, you use it the same way as contact
cement: spray both surfaces, wait until almost dry and slightly tacky, then
place the material in place.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Auto parts stores ought to sell some spray adhesive normally used to secure
headliners in cars. It seems like that product would be just what you need.

3M77 would also work. It may even be the same stuff!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 May 2007 01:44:24 GMT, "Ace"
wrote:

I have decided to scrap out my PC table (30" x 48") which has a 1 1/4 inch
thick laminated top and weighs a ton. Newer PC's and LCD monitors don't
require this massive monstrosity.

I want to build a replacement from 3/4 plywood and surface it with some
naugahide (sp.???) which I came across in a yard sale a few years ago. As
such, it has no instructions for usage. Specifically what kind of adhesive
would best, and any pitfalls to be aware of.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. My first thought is to use
contact cement, same as for hard laminate. Will this work? By the way, I
intend to 'inlay' a piece laminate as a writing surface.

The contact adhesive works well. Use dowels to position the
laminate--once it's stuck, it's stuck!

On the same subject, could anyone suggest a source for the type of hardware
which allows one to secure legs for table using a metal plate, etc. (We
have a coffee table assembled this way, and it is snap to remove legs for
moving, etc)

Those plates are not very secure. If you want something that is light
and easy to move, why not buy a foldup table? Aprons can get in the
way for a PC table. I use a shop-made wooden gateleg table that has
leaf hinges (one leaf is always folded down because I don't need the
table space with a LCD monitor.)

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge,
Ace

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ace Ace is offline

Thanks Andy,

Exact type hardware that's on the coffee table I mentioned in original post.
And, for other responders, I guess my thought of contact cement is valid, so
I'll get some and try out on a small piece to see how it works. I know it
works fine for the hard laminate.

Ace

Ace
"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On the same subject, could anyone suggest a source for the type of
hardware
which allows one to secure legs for table using a metal plate, etc. (We
have a coffee table assembled this way, and it is snap to remove legs for
moving, etc)

Rockler is usually the first place I look for hardware like that -
several types available at
http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=1507
Lee Valley probably has some also.
I'm not sure about Naugahyde adhesive - contact cement sounds like a
good place to start - I'd try some with scrap and see how it goes.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

btw, if u r gonna try a KBD drawer, I tried mounting one temporarily on a
real desk, and found that the only location is at the height of the desk
itself . It won't work to mount it under an existing desktop. And also,
it should be "in" the desk wrt the front to back location as well. So, its
a cutout to be made, no bout a dout it. and up/down, back/front,
tilt/yaw/roll, and sep. MSE option is a design miracule.

Making a dowell on Table Saw The Wolf Woodworking 14 October 11th 06 01:19 AM
Work (Office) Desk table top opinion [email protected] Woodworking 0 August 14th 06 08:57 PM
Help! Spar urethane didn't cure right on MDF desk/table [email protected] Woodworking 15 July 11th 05 08:16 PM
Making a corner desk EN UK diy 7 May 2nd 05 01:33 PM
Making drawers for a desk Piranah Woodworking 3 August 26th 04 02:55 PM